Sponsored

New Diesel Woes

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Just got my order in for my JTRD on Friday. On the day of delivery, the dealer had a hiccup with the key fob not working. Cleared itself up, out of the blue, so I didn't think much of it. On the drive home, my dash would light up with various warnings for just a split second every time I hit a bump (and with 47 PSI in the tires from the factory, the all feel like large bumps). Threw a few random codes (which I saved) including P0232 (secondary fuel pump circuit high). Had read up on the fuse situation, so I checked that out. Lo and behold, every single fuse and relay was a good ways out. Seated every one, and everything seemed OK after that... except when it wasn't.

During this time, I'd paid attention to battery voltage as it caught me off guard due to the charging logic that FCA uses (12.7 VDC caught my attention). A couple days later, the fob issue reappeared. Go to hit "run" and absolutely nothing happens, then a few minutes later, it's as if nothing was wrong. At this point, I'm starting to suspect the other common culprit I keep reading on the forums: ESS battery. Got my battery tester out and measured the primary battery (1025 CCA @ 2.54m Ohms) and the ESS battery (195 CCA @ 13.5m Ohms). BTW, on the diesels, the aux battery is under the primary battery and very easy to get to. So while they were out of the truck, threw them on their respective chargers (regular charger for AGM on the primary, a low current/motorcycle charger for aux battery). The main battery seemed to take a charge "oddly", as it would eventually go to 100%, then drop a half a volt over a few minutes, at which point the charger would restart. The aux battery seemed to take a charge normally. Threw them back in the truck and everything seemed normal. ESS showing "ready", etc for a couple days.

Fast forward to yesterday... leaving work and I get CEL. Looked at battery voltage on the dash and it's at 11.9V. Figure its the same old situation again. While driving, all of the sudden, it actually shuts itself completely off for a few seconds, coasts, then fires back up on its own, as if nothing happened. Get it home, turn it off, and pull the codes. P0232 again. At this point, I've finally succumbed to the idea that it's gotta go to the dealer. :mad:

What does the community think that the odds are that it's just an ESS battery failure?
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I know it seems like a lot is going wrong but it is likely only 1 bad component. Main battery likely as it kills everything or a short that is drawing it down.

Let the dealer sort it out or you do a good visual from the under side to look for a pinched wire in a fastener. It would also be a good idea to swap the battery and see if yours had a bad cell that shakes loose. Either battery could cause it so going to the ESS battery would be a good thought also. On the earlier JL vehicle I tested, you could disconnect the ESS battery and everything would work except the Stop/Start feature. If it still does then you could further trouble shoot that battery by disconnect both terminals and drive it.

Im sure it is one stupid thing and you will be all set.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
low voltage bad battery can cause all sorts of weird gremlins. Taking to dealer should be the first thing you do. Itā€™s all under warranty. Donā€™t want them accusing you of doing something.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Doesn't sound like an ESS battery issue. Take it back and have it checked.

EDIT, on second thought it may be. Was this a special ordered vehicle that just came in or was it on the lot for a while?

OP
OP

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Doesn't sound like an ESS battery issue. Take it back and have it checked.

EDIT, on second thought it may be. Was this a special ordered vehicle that just came in or was it on the lot for a while?
Was special ordered. 3 weeks from finish building to in my garage.

Sponsored

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
Ive fortunately not dealt with this but have read more posts here than Iā€™d prefer about the batteries. Iā€™d let the dealer take a swing... but before Iā€™d have the issue repeatedly I might look into the replacement systems for the ess system.

I think just as soon as I need a battery or get beyond warranty mine is getting an aftermarket solution. This seems to be an all to common issue

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Was special ordered. 3 weeks from finish building to in my garage.

More than likely not the batteries then. Most people have issues when they purchase vehicles that have been on the lot a while and the batteries are not charged prior to delivery. You'rs is probably going to be a wiring harness/connection issue. Fiat, Stellantis or whoever the hell they are they are this week have crap wiring harnesses and specifically bad connectors/pin fitment.

OP
OP

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I am curious to know what a typical aux battery internal resistance is.

I know:
  • that 9-19m Ohm is considered "good" for regular lead acid batteries
  • AGM tends to measure quite a bit lower than regular lead acid
  • main battery measured 2.54m Ohm
  • aux battery measured 13.5m Ohm
Just curious, at this point.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, it appears that the AUX14 battery that I've read is a good replacement is the Deka AUX14, which is actually a powersports AGM size 14 battery. As it turns out, my quad has a shiny new ETX14 Duracell AGM, which is made by East Penn and looks IDENTICAL to the Deka AUX14. They have identical dimensions, identical CCA ratings, identical posts. I'm gonna run my battery tester on the ETX14 just to see what it's internal resistance and measured CCA turns out to be, again, just out of curiosity.

EDIT 2: Just measured the ETX14 battery at 6.9m Ohms, or about half the aux battery's reading.

Last edited:

jwrigh64

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7
I had issues when I first picked up my JTRD. Had to have it towed to the dealer on 2nd day of ownership. Sputtered, start/stop error, service DEF message, electronic throttle control error, low oil pressure, check engine, turned off. Ended up being that the transmission wiring harness was not securely connected. So I second that yours issues might be related to a wiring harness/connector issue.

Sponsored

93vtech

First Name
art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator diesel
Occupation
Neuro
just dropt mine off! first time jeep owner. Lost 1 hr of my life/ waiting on paperwork and loaner.

OP
OP

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Update: Randomly decided to work again, but didn't trust it. After sitting about 24hrs, the battery voltage was down to 10.9VDC. Either it's a bad battery(s), or there's something drawing it down, or both. Have appointment Wednesday.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Update: Randomly decided to work again, but didn't trust it. After sitting about 24hrs, the battery voltage was down to 10.9VDC. Either it's a bad battery(s), or there's something drawing it down, or both. Have appointment Wednesday.
Check your aux battery drain. Also latest software updates from Jeep

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect defective main battery. As others have said, bad battery voltage will cause all manner of weirdness.

Take it to the dealer. They likely will replace both. There is a history of bad batteries on these. Take some pics of the voltages you see when you have issues. It is too new to tinker with if you want the dealer to address anything. Donā€™t give them the excuse for not fixing it because you monkeyed with it.

The batteries may not be the final solut but is most certainly the best first step. Just my .02

Best of luck.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Check your fuse box and make sure all fuses are seated properly
Sponsored