First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Broker
Just bought a gladiator, took it for a road trip with the family and on the way to where we were going my daughter mentioned her feet were getting hot in the back seat behind the driver. We then noticed the driver seat and passenger floors were also hot (When I say hot, I don’t mean slightly warm, I mean hot). After the trip I got under the truck and from my novice perspective it seems that maybe it’s the exhaust heat coming up through the bottom of the truck. This is the first off-road type Jeep I’ve owned and would like to get peoples input as to why this might be happening and what to do. Given the high level of heat coming through the floor i‘m concerned this could be a safety issue and considering we were doing mainly highway driving I’m wondering how bad this could be if I was on a slow trail or In stationary traffic for an extended period of time where I didn’t have any real airflow to help cool the underneath of the truck. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
We’ve heard this complaint before, but the guy who made it was abducted by aliens (actually, he and his profile disappeared completely), and all of his threads were removed by the admins. I guess we will see what happens to this one...

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I wouldn’t hesitate to take it to the dealer to check it out. Wondering if this could have been from a heat shield not making it into the truck? Only thing I could think of to cause that catalytic converters can get extremely hot. Rich fuel mixture will cause that as well. Take a picture of the underside of the truck directly below where you are experiencing the heat.

OP
OP

Jason142

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Broker
Well, I wouldn’t hesitate to take it to the dealer to check it out. Wondering if this could have been from a heat shield not making it into the truck? Only thing I could think of to cause that catalytic converters can get extremely hot. Rich fuel mixture will cause that as well. Take a picture of the underside of the truck directly below where you are experiencing the heat.
Thanks for your response. I’m getting heat all the way down the driver side which by the looks of it has some heat shielding on the front but not so much on the back. Would be interested in your opinion if this is correct. See photos attached.

3A1FDAD2-79A9-4036-98F4-296877B5DA74.jpeg

A8EAA655-0DD8-4994-9126-AC7D90EF7214.jpeg

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Old school fix:

Wrap that sucker with some heat shielding exhaust wrap from Jeg’s, NAPA etc.

Done son.

Sponsored

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked under mine and it looks identical so I don’t think any heat shielding got left off. I can say that I have not noticed mine getting what I would consider alarmingly hot but I also haven’t checked. Here is a picture of mine. I would have the dealer check it just to be sure the converter doesn’t have some type of defect but if they come back that there is no issue you could wrap it in heat shielding like previously suggested.

0255B2A6-9E70-4A2C-9527-D4E5380ADD9A.jpeg

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Take a reading of your floorboard with an IR thermometer. I just now completed a 420 mile road trip in mine, with no complaints from the barefooted kids in the back.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Take a reading of your floorboard with an IR thermometer. I just now completed a 420 mile road trip in mine, with no complaints from the barefooted kids in the back.
Also Check if you have insulation under your carpets.

OP
OP

Jason142

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Broker
Also Check if you have insulation under your carpets.
[/QUOTE

From what I can tell the carpet just sits directly on the metal. Is there supposed to be some other insulation there?

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
I’ve been having this issue on the passenger side. I thought it might be related to another issue I have with hot air coming from under the glovebox. After my trip today and the Jeep being shutoff for about 20m the floorboard up under the glovebox is 130 degrees.

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Tip: On nights when your driving the Jeep naked, pull your drain plugs! I get some nice heat through mine and when I’m wearing flip flops it keeps my feet nice and toasty.
Sponsored