Sponsored

New Gladiator owner - (well new to me)

The Other Radio Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Sting-Gray
I picked up a 21' sting-gray Overland a few weeks ago and have slowly been moving ham radio and antenna stuff over to it from my 2010 JKU. It came with the Mopar lift but the small tires are getting on my nerves. I don't want to go through all the re-gearing stuff so am thinking of 35s. Do you think it would look that much different with 35 than the Kumho P255/70/R18s?
Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) 20240320_123429

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) 20240320_123439
Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Depending on your current gear ratio and what size your wheels are.

I would get 35x10.50 or 35x11.50 if you can find them to fit your wheels, which I think are 18"

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Shoot, if only you were closer! I have a brand new set of 37x12.5r18's that I'm trying to sell lol. But you'd definitely need a re-gear on those.

The truck will look much better on 35's or 37's, and I ran 35's with the stock 3:73's for a year, so it's doable. The truck drove much better with a 4:88 re-gear though.

Here's my truck when it had 35's and a 2 inch lift, 3:73 gears.

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) YFIN7000.JPG

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) IMG_4043.JPG

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) IMG_4320.JPG

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) IMG_4319.JPG

OP
OP
The Other Radio Guy

The Other Radio Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Sting-Gray
Depending on your current gear ratio and what size your wheels are.

I would get 35x10.50 or 35x11.50 if you can find them to fit your wheels, which I think are 18"
Yea, I meant to add that info. According to the build sheet it has 3.73 gears and yes, 18" wheels.

MaximusTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 23 Rubicon 392, 88 Samurai, 70 Chevelle
Build Thread
Link
Yea, I meant to add that info. According to the build sheet it has 3.73 gears and yes, 18" wheels.
Here is mine with a 3 inch lift on 35s with 3.73 gears. I never get out of 6th gear unless I am going down hill and then I hit 7th for a second until I hit the bottom of the hill. If you are looking to stay on 35s you should think about doing a re-gear.

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) Maximus

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Other Radio Guy

The Other Radio Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Sting-Gray
Here is mine with a 3 inch lift on 35s with 3.73 gears. I never get out of 6th gear unless I am going down hill and then I hit 7th for a second until I hit the bottom of the hill. If you are looking to stay on 35s you should think about doing a re-gear.

Damn, that looks good. I was afraid of that though (needing a re-gear). Opinions on the closest thing that will give a nice stance without needing gears?

OP
OP
The Other Radio Guy

The Other Radio Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Sting-Gray
Shoot, if only you were closer! I have a brand new set of 37x12.5r18's that I'm trying to sell lol. But you'd definitely need a re-gear on those.

The truck will look much better on 35's or 37's, and I ran 35's with the stock 3:73's for a year, so it's doable. The truck drove much better with a 4:88 re-gear though.

Here's my truck when it had 35's and a 2 inch lift, 3:73 gears.

That looks perfect!

MaximusTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 23 Rubicon 392, 88 Samurai, 70 Chevelle
Build Thread
Link
Damn, that looks good. I was afraid of that though (needing a re-gear). Opinions on the closest thing that will give a nice stance without needing gears?
The stance is going to be whatever you like the best. The re-gear is going to be up to you. There are a lot of people on here that have 3.73s with 35s. I've been like this for 6 months or so. I have plans to re-gear when I get the money but I am going to do lockers, gears, axles and a coilover lift to move up to 40s all at once so it will be a little while before I do it. You can run it with 35s and 3.73. I would just say if you plan on staying with 35s I would eventually plan on doing a re-gear. It would boost your performance and mpg. It's not too expensive if you get a shop that knows what they are doing it should run you around $2K total.

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
I have 33's on mine with stock 3:73's and a 6mt. It's a little sluggish off the line but runs ok at speed.
I'd like to go 35's or 37's but a re-gear would definitely be necessary at that point.
Here's what mine looks like on 33's

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator owner - (well new to me) 1000000447

OP
OP
The Other Radio Guy

The Other Radio Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Sting-Gray
Thanks guys. That helps me quite a bit. The only other thing I'm not totally clear on is the window sticker indicates 3.73 gers standard but also lists one of the options it was built with is the Customer Preferred package 24G and below it shows Trailer-Tow Package, Class IV Receiver Hitch, Trailer-Hitch Zoom among other options. Looking at the 2021 dealer PDF (which I assume are not always correct) they don't list a "heavy duty tow" option which should include the 4.whatever gear ratio. It just lists Trailer Tow Package on the PDF with 240 amp alternator, heavy duty engine cooling, class IV hitch and camera zoom. Are/were there two trailer packages? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to clarify a few things. I feel like I'm driving an F-18 after coming from a 2010 JKU Sahara with a basic radio.

Sponsored

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Thanks guys. That helps me quite a bit. The only other thing I'm not totally clear on is the window sticker indicates 3.73 gers standard but also lists one of the options it was built with is the Customer Preferred package 24G and below it shows Trailer-Tow Package, Class IV Receiver Hitch, Trailer-Hitch Zoom among other options. Looking at the 2021 dealer PDF (which I assume are not always correct) they don't list a "heavy duty tow" option which should include the 4.whatever gear ratio. It just lists Trailer Tow Package on the PDF with 240 amp alternator, heavy duty engine cooling, class IV hitch and camera zoom. Are/were there two trailer packages? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to clarify a few things. I feel like I'm driving an F-18 after coming from a 2010 JKU Sahara with a basic radio.
Unless the previous owner swapped the gears, you have 3:73's. The 4:10's are only available from the factory if you have a Rubicon (standard) or if you have a Sport with the "Max Tow" package.

The Max Tow package is a step up from the Trailer-Tow package, and was only available on the Sport models, so 95% chance you have the factory 3:73's.

AGladiator22

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Overland
Occupation
Product Manager
So Iā€™m going to jump in here and ask a questionā€¦I bought a ā€˜22 Overland Diesel. Itā€™s got 37ā€™s, and I just recently confirmed itā€™s got the stock 3.73 gears. Iā€™m sure the diesel handles the 37ā€™s better than a gas, but should I be planning to regear? I just did a Jscan edit to correct the tire size, but havenā€™t had enough time to tell if the shift points will be different. My only concern right now is that 3rd gear pulls hard. All the others seem to have ā€˜normalā€™ pull when upshifting.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
So Iā€™m going to jump in here and ask a questionā€¦I bought a ā€˜22 Overland Diesel. Itā€™s got 37ā€™s, and I just recently confirmed itā€™s got the stock 3.73 gears. Iā€™m sure the diesel handles the 37ā€™s better than a gas, but should I be planning to regear? I just did a Jscan edit to correct the tire size, but havenā€™t had enough time to tell if the shift points will be different. My only concern right now is that 3rd gear pulls hard. All the others seem to have ā€˜normalā€™ pull when upshifting.
My brother in law has the exact same combination you listed and I've driven it numerous times. I think it was tolerable. The diesel really changes everything. With you being from Kansas, I'm not sure how well it would handle hills, or how the gas mileage could be affected by it.

It's not going to cost you anything to try it out and make a determination if you do/don't need to make a change.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
I've seen some guys on here say the diesel isn't phased by 35's on 3.73's, so 37's shouldn't be disastrous.
Sponsored