Sponsored

New Jeeper! Need help! How the he-double hockey sticks do I figure out the wheels & tires?!?!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
My son has had me browsing (drooling) through the custom offset wheels site for weeks now the benefit of a 15 year old boy on lockdown...lol! Unfortunately they stopped taking orders until mid next week so they’ll have to be my second set (that’s how things work around Jeeps, right? Keep on moving on up!!)
Yeah they have probably the best selection & the prices arent bad. Mine just got delivered from them not long ago & to do over again I would of paid a little more and bought local. The waiting & the lack of communication wasnt good & I was trying to reach them about changing my order (wanted to change the wheels to ones that were considerably more expensive & was willing to pay there restocking fee) for a week before they shipped it & responded too late to change.

I would of gone with either discount tire or 4 wheel parts whichever could get what I wanted in stock the fastest. So whenever my tires wear down I will replace the tires & wheels both local. Plus local you get to have someone else do all the heavy lifting for them.
Sponsored

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah... @bastage is correct!. Didn't realize you had 18"rims.

Great guys at @Discount Tire. They got me my tires a couple of weeks ago. Great price match and service.

Pogoda

First Name
Rob & Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins; 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
So I have a question. I want essentially what you have here, but the dealership Accessories Dept told me that the Rubicons COME with the Mopar 2” lift. So did you lift it an additional 2” and then add the wheels and tires? I want a 35” not for looks, but for actual clearance on some of the roads we drive. So did you add an additional lift?

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
So I have a question. I want essentially what you have here, but the dealership Accessories Dept told me that the Rubicons COME with the Mopar 2” lift. So did you lift it an additional 2” and then add the wheels and tires? I want a 35” not for looks, but for actual clearance on some of the roads we drive. So did you add an additional lift?
I found this article very helpful when I was wondering what was possible by each gladiator model.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.4w.../what-tires-fit-on-the-jeep-gladiator-jt/amp/

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon's do NOT COME WITH the mopar 2" lift.

Rubicon stock suspension is about .75" taller then sport and has better shocks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Yeah... @bastage is correct!. Didn't realize you had 18"rims.

Great guys at @Discount Tire. They got me my tires a couple of weeks ago. Great price match and service.
If you’re asking me, I do NOT have the Rubicon, I purchased the Overland then have the 2” Mopar lift being installed by the dealer before I take possession of the vehicle. From the research I’ve done the Rubicon does NOT have a two inch lift but rather a different suspension. When you check out vehicle specs online the stock Rubicon is 1” taller than the Overland 76” vs 75” and has 1.1” more ground clearance, 11.1 vs 10”. I would have wanted to lift either one and got an incredible deal on the Overland..plus I wasn’t super fond of the red interior (my son LOVED it!)
I can’t remember where but a simple online search (probably bring you right back here) gave a great rundown on the differences in suspension, 4wd etc. if I find it I’ll post it.

I live in the city and I’m more than happy to admit my 35”s will be mostly vanity but I’m sure when we go out riding, shooting or Off roading in Big Bear or the Mojave desert or sand travel when beach camping I’ll be happy with beefier tires and a minor lift.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the city and I’m more than happy to admit my 35”s will be mostly vanity but I’m sure when we go out riding, shooting or Off roading in Big Bear or the Mojave desert or sand travel when beach camping I’ll be happy with beefier tires and a minor lift.
I wouldn't call it vanity at all with a gladiator. They just flat out look dumb on the stock wheel size (especially the sports & overlands). 34-35" tires is about as small as I think look good & all the trim levels can do it without a lift. The one thing you may be going overkill on is the 2" lift. Leveled 35's look great. Your going to be well above that. 37's on the 2" lift look really good. But then your getting up into the "what else is compromised" range with 37's I feel. Your looking at the same size tire I have, but sitting taller

Tire wise look for the more aggressive AT's (also sometimes referred to as hybrid). BFG KO2's, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Toyo Open Country AT 2's etc etc etc... You definitely don't need an MT type tire & the road manners will be better on the AT's. And the Hybrid type AT's tend to have some sidewall bite which adds a lot to the aggressive/meaty look of the tire.

Pogoda

First Name
Rob & Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins; 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
Okay. Looks like I’m saving pennies for a Mopar 2” lift, new rims, and 35s. Whew....+ the new rig, and I‘d like the A.R.E. canopy, this is adding up. Ouch!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay. Looks like I’m saving pennies for a Mopar 2” lift, new rims, and 35s. Whew....+ the new rig, and I‘d like the A.R.E. canopy, this is adding up. Ouch!
It adds up quick. I am a month into owning my JT & already almost 6k into the aftermarket in it (almost half was wheels & tires). You have considerably more already listed there as I didnt do a real lift or the shell & those are over 4k right there.

OP
OP

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Your looking at the same size tire I have, but sitting taller

Tire wise look for the more aggressive AT's (also sometimes referred to as hybrid). BFG KO2's, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Toyo Open Country AT 2's etc etc etc... You definitely don't need an MT type tire & the road manners will be better on the AT's. And the Hybrid type AT's tend to have some sidewall bite which adds a lot to the aggressive/meaty look of the tire.
[/QUOTE]

So are yours 35”s or 37”s?

Your’s looks fantastic! I got the firecracker red (it was actually second choice, I originally wanted black to match my college colors but that’s an entirely different story lol) and seeing yours just amped up my “I can’t wait to have it!”

I decided on the BFG KO2s, I like the look, our local tire guy has them on his kicka@@ truck and says they wear well, and by looking at reviews seems they are “reasonably” quiet or at least less noisy than others.

Now if only I could decide on the wheels, need to get them ordered and delivered by Wednesday so I can pick my guy up next week!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small business owner
It adds up quick. I am a month into owning my JT & already almost 6k into the aftermarket in it (almost half was wheels & tires). You have considerably more already listed there as I didnt do a real lift or the shell & those are over 4k right there.
OK. I went in and looked at your pic on my laptop instead of my Phone and I like it even more! Can’t believe that’s no lift! Now I realize just how much those tires matter. I agree with you that bigger tires are a necessity- for me the stock tires make for a limp, lackluster look.
If you don’t mind sharing what is your wheel/tire set up? Are those the KO2s (I should get out my reading glasses lol instead of asking you!!) what size wheels do you have?

My plan is to blackout the bezels on the grille I like the contrast red and black so chose Freedom top over Body Color.

I’ve been looking at flat black wheels, So far I was looking mostly 17” but looked at some 18s too thinking I could possibly drive it home with the tires and stock wheels and wait on my favorite wheels instead of settling for a next best scenario.
In the running:
Black Rhino Crawler, Garrison or Arsenol, Pro Comp Predator, XD Rockstar, XD137 the one with the red accent and my favorite the Centerline Hammer but I’m leaning towards any of the others simply because of availability, the only place I can find the Centerlines isn’t going to start taking new orders until middle next week so no idea when they could actually be delivered.

Wow, sorry that’s a bunch of useless info on my part lol!!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK. I went in and looked at your pic on my laptop instead of my Phone and I like it even more! Can’t believe that’s no lift! Now I realize just how much those tires matter. I agree with you that bigger tires are a necessity- for me the stock tires make for a limp, lackluster look.
If you don’t mind sharing what is your wheel/tire set up? Are those the KO2s (I should get out my reading glasses lol instead of asking you!!) what size wheels do you have?

My plan is to blackout the bezels on the grille I like the contrast red and black so chose Freedom top over Body Color.

I’ve been looking at flat black wheels, So far I was looking mostly 17” but looked at some 18s too thinking I could possibly drive it home with the tires and stock wheels and wait on my favorite wheels instead of settling for a next best scenario.
In the running:
Black Rhino Crawler, Garrison or Arsenol, Pro Comp Predator, XD Rockstar, XD137 the one with the red accent and my favorite the Centerline Hammer but I’m leaning towards any of the others simply because of availability, the only place I can find the Centerlines isn’t going to start taking new orders until middle next week so no idea when they could actually be delivered.

Wow, sorry that’s a bunch of useless info on my part lol!!
Yeah my tires are KO2's in 315/70r17 (34.6" tall & 12.4" wide)

The wheels are Gear Offroad Barricade's in 17x9 with 0 offset.

If I could do it over I would of gotten the Black Rhino Barstow wheels because I like the looks as much as the ones I got, but they have exposed lugnuts (which I prefer) and they are a little narrower & have a positive offset which would of sucked the tires in a bit closer to being under the fenders.

I actually looked for something with red trim & ultimately decided against it as if it wasnt a matching red my OCD would hurt & I couldn't find anything I liked in a popping red like that.

OP
OP

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small business owner
If I could do it over I would of gotten the Black Rhino Barstow wheels because I like the looks as much as the ones I got, but they have exposed lugnuts (which I prefer) and they are a little narrower & have a positive offset which would of sucked the tires in a bit closer to being under the fenders.

I actually looked for something with red trim & ultimately decided against it as if it wasnt a matching red my OCD would hurt & I couldn't find anything I liked in a popping red like that.
Well you just sealed my decision the 17” wheel and 35” tire looks perfect in my minD!!
I know the idea of clashing reds has kept me from jumping on them it would drive me NUTS!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well you just sealed my decision the 17” wheel and 35” tire looks perfect in my minD!!
I know the idea of clashing reds has kept me from jumping on them it would drive me NUTS!
I think thats a wise descision. Any bigger of tires & you may run into problems with gearing in an overland.

Your mostly city driving as well so the little bigger wheels wouldnt be bad either though. 305/75r18 would be a hair taller & a hair narrower then what I have. May also open up other wheel options since your trying to get them in a hurry. Would still look the part too & you probably wont ever see a difference with having less meat on the tires airing down.
Sponsored