Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
First off, I know that no one has any complaints about the steering in their JT.....

Lets say you do and have 37+ tires and want better steering power. This is an interesting step before going full psc kit (with tazer and complicated dealer visits). The install looks like at least a 6 pack, but having some more oomph without going full psc for $3k is interesting. I have run a psc full hydro system on my crawler and am very familiar with the pros and cons. Any body running this apex valve yet?

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ooler&utm_campaign=NEW!+Apex+Steering+Booster!
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I was hoping something like this would come to market. I was thinking of it as an electric power steering pump "piggyback tuner", but this is more complex than I was hoping for. Still, I will probably give it a try at some point. I will also say that I feel the factory steering power is better than my previous JKs, and tolerable with 37s.

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping something like this would come to market. I was thinking of it as an electric power steering pump "piggyback tuner", but this is more complex than I was hoping for. Still, I will probably give it a try at some point. I will also say that I feel the factory steering power is better than my previous JKs, and tolerable with 37s.
Yeah I agree 37s on the street is all good. Aired down and locked front on the trail will be beneficial.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
This is very very tempting. I am on 37's & feel like the steering could use some more uumph.. But I dont think I can justify a PSC kit.. Not sure I am sold on this yet. Looking at the folks who have this on the JL wrangler forum its being reviewed pretty well. I would like to see more reviews on it. Not so much because of the cost of the hardware, but because of the install procedure.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is in the shop having this installed right now.. While I am home watching youtube videos I I got the notification for JK Gear & Gadgets installing this as well.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
my interest is peaked. Looking forward to a testimonial or two

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Mine is in the shop having this installed right now.. While I am home watching youtube videos I I got the notification for JK Gear & Gadgets installing this as well.

Looks like Ben is doing quite well with his YouTube career. New house, new rides in the driveway.

As to the product in question, after watching the Northridge 4x4 install video you are increasing the pressure to 175%. From 1000 psi to 1750 psi. I would be concerned about OEM parts handling that increase on the high pressure side.

If it's no issue, then it seems to be cheaper alternative to the more expensive hydro-ram setup.

I would caution casual wrenchers, they make this look easy, but you're getting involved with things where you could screw stuff up royally if you aren't careful.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like Ben is doing quite well with his YouTube career. New house, new rides in the driveway.

As to the product in question, after watching the Northridge 4x4 install video you are increasing the pressure to 175%. From 1000 psi to 1750 psi. I would be concerned about OEM parts handling that increase on the high pressure side.

If it's no issue, then it seems to be cheaper alternative to the more expensive hydro-ram setup.

I would caution casual wrenchers, they make this look easy, but you're getting involved with things where you could screw stuff up royally if you aren't careful.
I don't think factory is 1000.. I believe its 1300. I have also read that there are other Chrysler vehicles that use the same pump except with a higher pressure. They lowered it for the JT/JL so that a power steering cooler wasn't needed from the factory.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well first impressions are very good. It takes very little effort to turn my 37's at a dead stop on pavement which was a work out before. On gravel while stopped it was a single finger effort type of thing. If I am awake enough for it there is a night run to my favorite local trail Saturday Night so that will be the first real off road test.

The guy who installed it said the hardest part was running everything where he was happy with it. He used a piece of the stock hard line that is normally removed & did a little loop to make the runs clean. Its mounted rather low in my crash bar's which I knew was going to be the case since my bumper has the winch very low & far back. But this location also has a good gap between the top of the CavFab skid plate & the bottom of the Ace bumper so this should have a fair amount of airflow as well.

Also of note is that its only at about 1600psi so its only about 300 psi over stock. Another 400 before I leave the Apex Green Zone.

Jeep Gladiator New steering solution? - Apex IMG_1603
Jeep Gladiator New steering solution? - Apex IMG_1604
Jeep Gladiator New steering solution? - Apex IMG_1606

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
Well first impressions are very good. It takes very little effort to turn my 37's at a dead stop on pavement which was a work out before. On gravel while stopped it was a single finger effort type of thing. If I am awake enough for it there is a night run to my favorite local trail Saturday Night so that will be the first real off road test.
Do you have any additional feedback from an off road perspective?

I recently took my recently modded JTRD for a shakedown trail run and it was quite the struggle to turn the wheel crossing a fairly simple obstacle with the weight of the diesel on aired down 37s. I could use the additional boost to help out.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any additional feedback from an off road perspective?

I recently took my recently modded JTRD for a shakedown trail run and it was quite the struggle to turn the wheel crossing a fairly simple obstacle with the weight of the diesel on aired down 37s. I could use the additional boost to help out.
I would say its totally worth it... Not perfect. I have still felt myself struggling to turn the wheels on some obstacles, but the amount of time I notice it is down to a small percentage of what it was. I also have mine adjusted to the minimum of the green zone. So I could get more power out of it if I wanted. Since your in a JTRD this is really your next step & if its not enough run a ram off the stock box since there is no PSC kit avail (at least there wasnt last I looked).

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
I would say its totally worth it... Not perfect. I have still felt myself struggling to turn the wheels on some obstacles, but the amount of time I notice it is down to a small percentage of what it was. I also have mine adjusted to the minimum of the green zone. So I could get more power out of it if I wanted. Since your in a JTRD this is really your next step & if its not enough run a ram off the stock box since there is no PSC kit avail (at least there wasnt last I looked).
Thanks for the prompt response! Definitely will give this a try before trying the ram.

-joe

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the prompt response! Definitely will give this a try before trying the ram.

-joe
Yeah & this just makes the ram more effective if you do have to go that way... They would work together there as well.
Sponsored