First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
Trail Grapplers are one of the heaviest, roughest tires on the market. They will decimate the fuel economy of any truck.

My buddy runs them on a F-150 and they wear like sh*t also.
Yeah I didn’t really do enough research on them. They were the easy option with the dealer and I found a couple posts about them where people didn’t have issues and called it good. I’ll probably run them until I throw on something else for winter, then decide to keep or sell them in the spring.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
I will report back in a few days with results, if it turns out that it’s possible for dealer to reset just one of the two independently by mistake, I’ll probably throw another post out there for people to watch out for it.
Quick follow up, after recalibrating with the Tazer:

It fixed my odometer tracking off. Speedo still matches gps, and now the odometer does too, as opposed to reading 6% fewer miles. Not sure why that didn’t get reprogrammed when the dealer redid the speedo for 35’s.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Low air pressures will exacerbate the impact that heavy tires with traction oriented tread designs already exhibit.

Low air pressures, and traction oriented tread designs= increases in rolling resistance=reduced fuel economy

That much is unavoidable if you need mud tires, but mounting a tire that is too wide for a wheel and then compensating for the wheel dimensions by lowering air pressures will absolutely come at a price that you will pay in fuel economy.

KentuckyCatFan

First Name
Nina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Hydro Blue Overland
Yeah I didn’t really do enough research on them. They were the easy option with the dealer and I found a couple posts about them where people didn’t have issues and called it good. I’ll probably run them until I throw on something else for winter, then decide to keep or sell them in the spring.
Nitto has a hybrid Terra Grappler rated for 65,000

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Stock Rubicon with 33" Falken MTs 19 mpg combined highway/city. I'm sure I could do better if I kept my speed on interstate under 75 mph.
I have these same Stock Rubicon with 33" Falken MTs and getting 20.2 MPG after on 11,500 miles. 85% of my driving is on the highway though.

36-37 range psi

Last edited:

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-jl-mini/

This seems to be the one to buy. They make a light version for a bit less with fewer features. Mini seems to be preferred over the full size, and I haven’t been able to find a disadvantage to it.
Anyone have a compare on the Tazer JL mini vs Flashcal for the JL or JT? I put a Flashcal on my JK after upping tire size and it adjusted the shifts as expected with no issues. Just curious is Tazer is better?

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Quick follow up, after recalibrating with the Tazer:

It fixed my odometer tracking off. Speedo still matches gps, and now the odometer does too, as opposed to reading 6% fewer miles. Not sure why that didn’t get reprogrammed when the dealer redid the speedo for 35’s.
SMARTASS REPLY WARNING:

Cause while your dog is cute
Your dealer is a dipshit.

I apologize to any dipshits offended by the above comparison to a dealer...
:CWL:

OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
SMARTASS REPLY WARNING:

Cause while your dog is cute
Your dealer is a dipshit.

I apologize to any dipshits offended by the above comparison to a dealer...
:CWL:
Haha right? I’m not sure why I’m bothering tip-toeing around pointing out that they screwed up on the internet. Got too use to trying to make sure I’m not stepping on anyone’s feelings when they mess up in work life.

Anyways, I’m registering about 16mpg now 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, stock 7.5” LE rims, combination of in town, highway, back roads and dirt roads, and lots of PA hills.

Thanks to everyone for the good info and the solid reality checks, I think 16-17 is the best I can hope for with this setup, and more importantly to me it doesn’t appear that there’s some other issue (now that the odometer is tracking correctly).

Going forward I’ll probably keep the M/T tires for the spring/summer/fall, but get them on some 8.5-9” aftermarket rims to at least correct the tire’s geometry, and keep 33” winter tires on the stock rims.

Reactions: JP1
OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
Anyone have a compare on the Tazer JL mini vs Flashcal for the JL or JT? I put a Flashcal on my JK after upping tire size and it adjusted the shifts as expected with no issues. Just curious is Tazer is better?
At a glance they seem to have a lot of the same features. The Tazer has been a little buggy about over-riding the sway bar disconnect but so far seems nice, and they seem to update it frequently.

It looks like Flashcal has you use their device to control settings? With Tazer you do everything on the dash with the steering-wheel buttons. Not sure if that’s a selling point or not.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
At a glance they seem to have a lot of the same features. The Tazer has been a little buggy about over-riding the sway bar disconnect but so far seems nice, and they seem to update it frequently.

It looks like Flashcal has you use their device to control settings? With Tazer you do everything on the dash with the steering-wheel buttons. Not sure if that’s a selling point or not.
Yes, the JK Flashcal uses their on device screen to make the changes. Very user friendly, took maybe 10 minutes to make changes and disconnect when done. I had no issues while connected and still have not. The price for the JK version was $180 when I bought it, but looks like they are $250 now for the JT version. I’m going to wear out my stock JT 33’s before upgrading tires and lift, but will need to adjust the auto-trans then. Just trying to understand if there is something better on the market now to make the changes. The one reviewer on the Flashcal for JT site gave it a bad review. Just wondering if there is something better on the market, but I’m probably a year or two away from new tires.
Sponsored

Last edited: