Noise after gear change

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
I just had my truck done with 5.13 Spicer gears and am getting a soft whine at higher speeds and quiets down at lower speeds and is silent at stop. The interesting thing is that the noise doesn't get louder the faster you go once you reach 60. I would think if it was a gear issue then it would continue to get louder but it is faint and has me scratching my head. The shop is tearing into the rear diff right now to check over everything but he said it doesn't sound like a diff noise since it would get progressively louder and faster with the increase of speed. Anyone have this before?
My truck also has 500 miles on it so I'd be surprised of something was worn out already.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You can get aftermarket gears to be pretty quiet IF they are installed perfectly. The hard part is getting them installed perfectly, which can be a major pain in the *** even for seasoned mechanics. Gears are sort of like exterior paint...it can be done aftermarket but it will NEVER be as good as the factory job. If you find someone who is patient and doesn't mind trial and error it can be done pretty well but it's just a headache. We've even done some Jeeps in my garage at home so it could be done with meticulous care and it can still end up being a can of worms.

The difficulty of getting it perfect, and the issues that occur later down the road as a result of swapping bearings, shims, preload, etc. are the reasons why I stopped changing gear ratios in my Jeeps and trucks. It's just not worth it anymore, especially with 8 and 10 speed transmissions these days.

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
in my case it was a machining defect on one of the pieces. But correct they should not be noisey. The only thing i do get is a little bit of brake groan. KInd of like when you put it in 4 low and partially press the brake. Im assuming is the lower ratio pushing through the braking a little bit

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
The weird thing with mine is that at slower speeds forward the noise isn't load until about 40mph but in reverse it sounds as if I was going 40mph forward.

Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Doh! What did it sound like then? J/k sorry about yours. Bad set up, bad parts?
Had about 14000 miles on that bearing, so can't say for sure. Sounds like a remote controlled airplane flying under the Gladiator.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Had about 14000 miles on that bearing, so can't say for sure. Sounds like a remote controlled airplane flying under the Gladiator.
Interesting. thats exactly what I’m hear but have 100 miles on my gears.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Threads like this make me nervous...im pulling my TT 550ish miles to niagra falls in a couple weeks and keep telling my wife that will be the test for the 4.10s. If it pulls okay ill leave em, if its sluggish and sucks on the mountains thant 4.56s it is. Im just nervous since ive never regeared. I have a guy whos done a bunch if them successfully, but still in unsure.

techteacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT '20 White Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm getting some noise that I'm not sure is normal. When in 7th or 8th above 45 mph when I let off the gas it whines at me while it's in the lowest RPMs. Give it some gas and when it gets a few RPMs it sounds normal again. Only happens in higher gears - reminds me of riding in an old school bus when they let off the gas. I just assumed it was normal, but it's definitely different than stock.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Bad pinion bearing can give a noise and/or vibration especially on deceleration.

Sponsored

techteacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT '20 White Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had this checked out and upon install the rear gear's pinion depth and backlash were both out of spec. The contact pattern was also off. Shop warrantied their work and put a new set in. All is well.

I'm getting some noise that I'm not sure is normal. When in 7th or 8th above 45 mph when I let off the gas it whines at me while it's in the lowest RPMs. Give it some gas and when it gets a few RPMs it sounds normal again. Only happens in higher gears - reminds me of riding in an old school bus when they let off the gas. I just assumed it was normal, but it's definitely different than stock.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
I had this checked out and upon install the rear gear's pinion depth and backlash were both out of spec. The contact pattern was also off. Shop warrantied their work and put a new set in. All is well.
I never updated but we did find a very small manufacturing defect to one of the carrier's bearing and bearing race. There was a small gap so it allowed the bearing to "hop" a little when installed. He swapped it out with a new bearing and race and zero problems since.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
You can get aftermarket gears to be pretty quiet IF they are installed perfectly. The hard part is getting them installed perfectly, which can be a major pain in the *** even for seasoned mechanics. Gears are sort of like exterior paint...it can be done aftermarket but it will NEVER be as good as the factory job. If you find someone who is patient and doesn't mind trial and error it can be done pretty well but it's just a headache. We've even done some Jeeps in my garage at home so it could be done with meticulous care and it can still end up being a can of worms.

The difficulty of getting it perfect, and the issues that occur later down the road as a result of swapping bearings, shims, preload, etc. are the reasons why I stopped changing gear ratios in my Jeeps and trucks. It's just not worth it anymore, especially with 8 and 10 speed transmissions these days.
I know but with my tires and 3.73s my 8 speed is now a 6speed

Oak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
realtor
I never updated but we did find a very small manufacturing defect to one of the carrier's bearing and bearing race. There was a small gap so it allowed the bearing to "hop" a little when installed. He swapped it out with a new bearing and race and zero problems since.
Would you still get the sound if you disconnected the front drive shaft (if noise was in front) I'm getting the whine above 45. Took off the cover and everything looked good but i notuce there isn't any yellow showing.

20230324_184034.jpg

20230324_184030.jpg
Sponsored