First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR, 22 JL 4xe
Occupation
Self Employed
Any recommendations for an OBD2 scanner?
I was about to order a cheap one off of Amazon, just to have in the vehicle more than anything else. I like the ability to be able to check or clear a code, especially when out in the backcountry. I read something that there a security module in the jeep that does not allow you to scan it yourself... is that true??? Also are there any brands out there that are made for FCA vehicles or worth justifying spending more than a cheap one? Thanks
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Many of the OBD scanners will work. The recommended one is the MX+. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_5OJcGbBV319AS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Depending on your needs, AlfaOBD is more capable than JSCAN, and not much more expensive.

You do need a Security Bypass cable. I would also recommend the security extension cable ($30) from Zautomotive.
The extension cable is more useful with the fancier models. The Sport & Sport S donā€™t have a whole lot of stuff blocking access to the Security Module plugs, whereas the Overland and up have wiring harnesses blocking the way.

Kevin

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Any recommendations for an OBD2 scanner?
I was about to order a cheap one off of Amazon, just to have in the vehicle more than anything else. I like the ability to be able to check or clear a code, especially when out in the backcountry. I read something that there a security module in the jeep that does not allow you to scan it yourself... is that true??? Also are there any brands out there that are made for FCA vehicles or worth justifying spending more than a cheap one? Thanks
If you just want a decent scan tool for diagnostics, and arenā€™t interested in making any changes to the BCM, the OBD Link MX+ is very good, and has a free app with it. The security gateway module does NOT need to be bypassed for basic diagnostics, only when making changes to BCM settings.

OP
OP
squarefoot

squarefoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR, 22 JL 4xe
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for the info. A few questions.
So by bypassing the security gateway, what becomes unsecured? Is it easier to steal?

Do you only use the bypass when clearing a code or making changes, then promptly remove it?

Sponsored

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTOD, ā€™02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
Newbie question... whatā€™s the difference between JScan/Tazer and an app like OBDFusion? Iā€™ve seen in the ecodiesel section guys using ODBFusion to display data in real time/gauge form on the phones. Can the JScan or Tazer apps do something like that?

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Newbie question... whatā€™s the difference between JScan/Tazer and an app like OBDFusion? Iā€™ve seen in the ecodiesel section guys using ODBFusion to display data in real time/gauge form on the phones. Can the JScan or Tazer apps do something like that?
I've got OBDFusion and use a plugin Wifi OBD reader I purchased off of Amazon years ago.

Had no idea this setup won't work to clear CEL codes? That sucks... worked in my Hummer, works in my wife's car, etc.
Sponsored