Sponsored

Off Road GPS Mapping & Hardware

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Thought I'd start a thread on off road tech: GPS Mapping & Hardware as these are very popular topics on many forums (and software and hardware providers).

Technology is making it easier than ever to get lost in an adventure without getting lost in the wilderness, and there are plenty of ways to enjoy these benefits even when you’ve ventured to signal-free zones.

13 Useful Apps for Off the Grid Adventures - these wifi-free apps were designed with remote areas in mind.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...s-backcountry-camping-hiking-adventure/#close

Using Gaia GPS to Find Free Camping in National Forests
https://blog.gaiagps.com/using-gaia...er-newsletter-nonsubscribers&utm_medium=email
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
These discussions typically start with hardware and go from there...

* Dedicated GPS vs smartphone vs tablet?
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/gps-navigation-unit-or-ipad.189436/

* iOS vs Android?
* Which maps/apps are best?

Best tablets for Navigation?
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/best-tablets-for-navigation.106486/

Can the iPad really be used as an out-of-signal range off road GPS device?
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...t-of-signal-range-off-road-gps-device.170882/

In regard to Android tablets heres' a current overview of a variety of products:
https://mashtips.com/tablets-replace-gps/

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Lex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thank you for sharing this info. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ve downloaded the Gaia app and can’t wait to start using it for my adventures this Spring.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
IMG_20191207_165819.jpg
I've used everything over the years for this.back in the day we would hack the nuvi to put topo maps on it. And I've been running a few different setups lately with my foray into off-road racing.

Much like everything there is going to be rapid advancment in tech and hardware.

For the general enthusiast I highly recommend Gaia but if on Android "MyTrails" is a great option with similar feature set.
I use Android and Apple and the Gaia app on Apple is much more advanced than the Android version yet both work well just more little features on the apple make sorting large files waypoints and tracks easier.

Getting a little more advanced I primarily use lead nav for racing. It's It's purpose built for running pre-planned routes. Not much good for general off-road adventures.

I also use an inReach mini for sat coms which is very handy and also has mapping options but Gaia is better in most requards. The inreach is nice because if you have a WiFi only iPad without a GPS chip the inReach will share it's location with the iPad. It updates pretty quick but not good enough for racing use.

For race use I run a Dual GPS SKYPRO 160. Compared to most phones and 5he inReach it updates at 10hz where the others are 1hz ish. Doesn't matter much on established trails at a reasonable pace but missing a turn or a waypoint can happen at the higher speeds.

My current cockpit in the gladiator is running a gen7 10.2in iPad connected to the skypro. In addition to my cellphone which monitors other parameters of the vehicle and talks to the inreach mini. I also replace the 10.2 iPad with a 8in Android tablet for my teammates when they use the truck for chase duties.
I run the apple for my use more often than the Android just to maintain efficiency with a operating system I actually hate but for the race world I need it.

IMG_20191201_001528_411.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good info - thanks for sharing!

10.2" iPad is huge!

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Good info - thanks for sharing!

10.2" iPad is huge!
Yeah, I can't recommend it. Get an Air or other brands 8in tablet. Honestly a decent samsung 8in will be the best option for most people. I only run the 10.2 because of racing. Big screen there really helps when bouncing along at speed. Most andrioids have a built in gps chip (amazon fires do not) and they just work. I wouldnt even own an apple product if it wasnt for LeadNav and MobArmorGPS.

Another bit of info that is super handy. If you need to create, edit or fix a GPX file the best software to use without data connection is Garmins Basecamp. For online if you have GAIA their online is decent. I also really like CALTOPO.com to create and edit GPX tracks before I head out but you need data connection to use both of those. A lot of times I dont have data connection espeically at king of the hammers so an offline gpx editor on windows was a requirement. for this I learned basecamp works best. The race organizers arent very good with gpx files so they are usually unuseable for me until i get in there and fix them.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Tell us more about bouncing and speed. Where does one race a gladiator? I presume not on the east coast?

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Tell us more about bouncing and speed. Where does one race a gladiator? I presume not on the east coast?
I dont race this truck but Savy did race one in a lot of races this year and KOH last year.
We have a different car for racing but the gladiator is used as a chase truck for King of the hammers and hopefully baja next year.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Worth noting for anyone considering Gaia, it does not support Android Auto. I paid for a 5 year subscription as I had an Android head unit in my JKUR. Loaded it up on my phone when I got the JT only to find Android Auto is not supported and the development team has been mum on making it so. Gaia is very Apple-centric with Android being an afterthought.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME