Sponsored

Why go slow off-roading?

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I sure did... the down wasn’t too bad, definitely not for the faint at heart but we did radical hill just afterwards... I will not be doing that again! Omg... super butt clinch there!

3F79DC77-656C-4D15-BBE1-6F22CFCF849C.jpeg
Neat. That looks like Webster Pass you're on in that pic.
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Neat. That looks like Webster Pass you're on in that pic.
no that’s definitely radical hill... saw the sign at the bottom of red cone pointing both the trails out. I was also with guys that have been in that area bunches of times. Definitely helpful following them.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
no that’s definitely radical hill... saw the sign at the bottom of red cone pointing both the trails out. I was also with guys that have been in that area bunches of times. Definitely helpful following them.
I see. They're all connected. I've camped in that area countless times along the Deer Creek trail. Nice place when they're aren't too many people.

It's been awhile since I did the main part of Radical Hill and Webster Pass, but both were cringe-worthy. Slip a few feet downhill, and you're done--for good--as you roll 1,000 ft downhill. It's happened before to some unfortunate souls. And there can be bad washouts along the way. No room for error on some parts at times.

HvYxnUl.jpg

lSaviFE.jpg

8Iyq9ON.jpg

dzseB0C.jpg

j7mSlx6.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Why go slow? Because this rock will kill you if you don't.

The trees on the left are vertical, mirror rock is basically smooth and flat and if it's even the least bit moist, hold onto your butts.]

download_20200223_151029.jpg

Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
In the off-roading vids I have seen everyone goes so slow. I get you literally crawl over rocks, but why go slow over a rutted or dirt road? Buggies go fast and bounce around, why not Jeeps? Pardon my ignorance, please
So now that you have actually done some light off-roading on the Daniel Boone trail system can you answer your own question? How fast did you go and why did you go that speed?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So now that you have actually done some light off-roading on the Daniel Boone trail system can you answer your own question? How fast did you go and why did you go that speed?
I went slow because the wife was there and still not 100% recovered from c-section (5 months ago)

I went slow on rock portions because of risk for puncture. But in gravel/mud/dirt sections of the roads I can see going a good moderate speed (25mph at points?)

murktJT

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The reason I got a JT is so I can trailer things like: side by side to offroad fast in, a race car to go fast on a track, my boat to go fast on the water, and a dirtbike to rip through trails. Much more fun to do those things in a purpose built machine. The jeep can do some fun stuff but ultimately its a purpose built pavement pounder that is pretty decent offroad

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I went slow because the wife was there and still not 100% recovered from c-section (5 months ago)

I went slow on rock portions because of risk for puncture. But in gravel/mud/dirt sections of the roads I can see going a good moderate speed (25mph at points?)
Meanwhile Big Red, driven by Mickey Thompson, ran the first 85 miles of the 1972 Mexican 1000 at an average speed of 109mph. ~600 horse of big block bowtie and 2wd to boot. Big Oly however won the day.

fdd80bc30d33b255294483844326f043.jpg

Going fast is all relative and all based on what you are doing and where. You are learning young Jedi.

Chetcpo

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
In the off-roading vids I have seen everyone goes so slow. I get you literally crawl over rocks, but why go slow over a rutted or dirt road? Buggies go fast and bounce around, why not Jeeps? Pardon my ignorance, please
I just went yesterday and let my girlfriend drive and she went too fast. She's used to driving a side by side and was driving the Gladiator as if it was one. I can tell you it wasn't pleasant. Not just bad for the vehicle but dangerous. The shocks aren't made to do that and the valving is such that the tires spent most of the time in the air resulting in control issues. I had to tell her to slow down all day. Tough habit to break apparently.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I just went yesterday and let my girlfriend drive and she went too fast. She's used to driving a side by side and was driving the Gladiator as if it was one. I can tell you it wasn't pleasant. Not just bad for the vehicle but dangerous. The shocks aren't made to do that and the valving is such that the tires spent most of the time in the air resulting in control issues. I had to tell her to slow down all day. Tough habit to break apparently.
sounds like a Mojave is needed

Chetcpo

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
sounds like a Mojave is needed
I'm not sure even that would be appropriate for her desired speeds. She needs a SCORE Trophy Truck. Those look like fun if you have a spare million dollars.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
When I was a lot younger we used to run buggy's we wood take 5 or 6 out, and at the end of the day hope one could pull every one else out. When young and stupid breaking things was a point of pride. When I explained to my wife what to do "if we decide to roll the buggy" she decided she did not want to ride.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
While in Alaska two years ago - or was it three already? - we took one of those "buggy tours" along an old logging road on the side of a mountain. It advertised "see nature" "get deep into the forest and observe the animals" and all that. What it was was a VERY rockey, rough as hell dusty trail. Normally it's muddy but they had a heat wave up there that year and a lack of rain - no mud, all dust.
Instead of seeing nature - we saw rocks and logs in the road, holes about a foot deep in places and a VERY uneven logging "road" that I'm sure the best fo lumberjacks would insist fix it before we drive it.
The buggies they said - oh, don't worry, look at the suspension, look at the steering, these are made for this type of abuse! They just don't break!
Well, guess who broke on bigly
Yeah, me. Barbara wasn't a happy camper -certainly no wildlife and we had to go so fast to keep up with the leader, you couldn't even see the buggy ahead of you - honestly, if they pulled more than 5 feet ahead, you were screwed as seeing their tail was the only way you knew - or HOPES, you were still on the trail. They warned us all that if you end up off road, it's death as you roll down the side of the mountain unless stopped by a tree.
I busted a rear axle and the steering both. I couldn't get it to go straight any more so it went off the side of the road. 6" more and it was over the ledge. The guy kept saying "turn it left and gun it"
I turned it left and it went right as only one axle was driving it and the steering no longer responded.
The group leader panicked and said "get out get out!" So we did. And their backup guy who followed behind came up certain he was going to drive it out of there. I said be my guest.
Nope- he nearly sent it over the edge and gave up.
He finally said - yeah, it's REALLY broke.
They had to send a tow vehicle back out for it. We were still miles away from getting back to their base so they doubled up and I drove the tail guy's buggy back.

So - trust me, they can be broken LOL And those guys had no clue - someone was going to get badly hurt they way they rocketed over that old trail they called a road.
I wonder how that thing ever came out? Or if they are still doing that..............
Man when we got back their team all gathered around and kept insisting, kept asking "are you SURE you're ok?? Over and over - yeah, I'm fine - but your buggy isn't.
Barbara said never again - nature ride? HA!
It wasn't even fun in the end. It could have been but they were so stupid going through there, there was no time for fun and I choked up dust and black gunk for hours after - even though I was wearing a bandana over my face.
Sponsored