Why go slow off-roading?

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
I take it as things it can do, but maybe shouldn't all the time or that situation has to be ideal. You see sports cars, even sedans (the Camry comes to mind), in commercials flying down narrow mountain roads. I recall that same Camry commercial using engine sounds to hint at a fast speed. The camera cuts inside and there's a baby inside chilling.

Just cuz the Camry did it in the commercial doesn't mean I would. Wasn't there a commercial with the Kia Stinger going backwards around a track? I wouldn't do that either. Could I call them out for false advertising?

Your Jeep can do it, but if you fuck it up in the woods it would be difficult to prove that the damage was unavoidable and no fault of yours. Blame the unseen rock?

Another thing, it would be a bumpy ass ride and you probably would naturally go slower the next time.
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Just because a Jeep can go offroad doesn't mean it can go offroad fast.

The reason is suspension. There are suspensions for crawling and for speed. The crawling suspensions typically don't do speed well. The speed suspensions typically do speed and crawling well but then it's all about the vehicle.

The Raptor will fly across washboard which is brutal for most Jeeps. And the Raptor will do well at crawing but not as well as a Jeep. And the Raptor is W_I_D_E and that is an issue on Jeep trails.

It's all about the suspension and what the goal (and budget) is

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Just because a Jeep can go offroad doesn't mean it can go offroad fast.

The reason is suspension. There are suspensions for crawling and for speed. The crawling suspensions typically don't do speed well. The speed suspensions typically do speed and crawling well but then it's all about the vehicle.

The Raptor will fly across washboard which is brutal for most Jeeps. And the Raptor will do well at crawing but not as well as a Jeep. And the Raptor is W_I_D_E and that is an issue on Jeep trails.

It's all about the suspension and what the goal (and budget) is
I remember that TFL (?) video comparing the colorado to the gladiator, desert runs went to the colorado and crawling went to the Jeep. The reason was suspension as you say.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I remember that TFL (?) video comparing the colorado to the gladiator, desert runs went to the colorado and crawling went to the Jeep. The reason was suspension as you say.
Sure. And I'm not saying the Jeeps can't crawl. The ads have them doing what I have seen owners do on YouTube with stock/slightly modified Jeeps. In the vids I posted there were no modifications listed. No caution on excess wear. Only a warning about driver ability. So as a buyer I expect the Jeep to do just that, speed on trails, without excessive wear on parts or harm to the vehicle. Frankly I'm surprised the ads got past Jeep's legal team if it is as bad as you guys are saying. Sand and flat roads you'd agree a Jeep can go fairly quickly on, you'd agree? But bumpy trails? I'm not saying going over a rock field, but the videos clearly had forest type roads going at speed.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Sure. And I'm not saying the Jeeps can't crawl. The ads have them doing what I have seen owners do on YouTube with stock/slightly modified Jeeps. In the vids I posted there were no modifications listed. No caution on excess wear. Only a warning about driver ability. So as a buyer I expect the Jeep to do just that, speed on trails, without excessive wear on parts or harm to the vehicle. Frankly I'm surprised the ads got past Jeep's legal team if it is as bad as you guys are saying. Sand and flat roads you'd agree a Jeep can go fairly quickly on, you'd agree? But bumpy trails? I'm not saying going over a rock field, but the videos clearly had forest type roads going at speed.

You need to do some off roading - get out there with experienced off roaders and learn about vehicles and their capabilities in different terrain and conditions.

Fire roads, dunes, washes and trails are all very different from each other and very different from rock crawling. Comparing them all and how a stock Jeep can traverse them is like comparing tools simply because they’re in the same toolbox.

A stock Jeep can do them all but each will have its own unique set of challenges on the vehicle and driver.

What sets a stock Jeep apart from other vehicles is that it can do all of them well and, more importantly, there’s a massive aftermarket supplying components and systems that enable the Jeep owner to modify the vehicle and set it up for even greater capabilities and off road challenges.

But you likely knew all this already

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
This is so funny. The thing I tell people before I take them off-road is "It's not like the commercials. We are going to go slow."

The rule for Jeeps off-road is "As slow as possible. As fast as necessary." That may not be your thing.

I've driven 35-40 on twisty dirt trails and that felt pretty fast. I would not want to drive faster than that. But I'm in NC. In the desert I am sure it would be different.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
In the off-roading vids I have seen everyone goes so slow. I get you literally crawl over rocks, but why go slow over a rutted or dirt road? Buggies go fast and bounce around, why not Jeeps? Pardon my ignorance, please
On Whoops and trails, you cannot go as fast as a light buggy with tons of wheel travel, but, I noticed that the Gladiator Rubicon can go at a pretty good clip on sand highways and whoops. The extra long wheel base of the Gladiator is very welcome on this type of terrain. Here is a video my girlfriend took a few days ago of my Stick Shift Gladiator Rubicon going through some whoops at Hungry Valley OHV in 4H and second gear. I was impressed with the suspension. I am used to my old FJ62 with the OME lift kit and this old leaf spring design does not compare to the well tuned Rubicon coil suspension. Suspension travel is also outstanding. Depending on what you are used to, I still think you will be happy overall with the extra wheel base and the suspension travel in this stock truck. Enjoy the clip !

PUGLIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, SSMT
There are Jeep’s that go fast and jeeps that go slow. If you’re talking about a stock truck a IFS will most always perform better at speed. That doesn’t mean a Jeep can’t be built for it and do it well. **2019 KOH**

In fact a JT is more suited for speed than the wrangler because of its longer wheel base. I’ve watched people dump way more money buying, building and rebuilding crawlers vs What building a truck that handles well at speed would.

it’s all about what you want. Power is the biggest issue with Jeep. 50% of these guys bashing going fast in a Jeep would have built their rig completely different if it came with a V8.

The “rule of Jeep off road” is to build what you want for what you want. Don’t listen to some yahoo that goes less than 5 mph in a line of 30 Jeeps and calls that off-roading

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are Jeep’s that go fast and jeeps that go slow. If you’re talking about a stock truck a IFS will most always perform better at speed. That doesn’t mean a Jeep can’t be built for it and do it well. **2019 KOH**

In fact a JT is more suited for speed than the wrangler because of its longer wheel base. I’ve watched people dump way more money buying, building and rebuilding crawlers vs What building a truck that handles well at speed would.

it’s all about what you want. Power is the biggest issue with Jeep. 50% of these guys bashing going fast in a Jeep would have built their rig completely different if it came with a V8.

The “rule of Jeep off road” is to build what you want for what you want. Don’t listen to some yahoo that goes less than 5 mph in a line of 30 Jeeps and calls that off-roading
On Whoops and trails, you cannot go as fast as a light buggy with tons of wheel travel, but, I noticed that the Gladiator Rubicon can go at a pretty good clip on sand highways and whoops. The extra long wheel base of the Gladiator is very welcome on this type of terrain. Here is a video my girlfriend took a few days ago of my Stick Shift Gladiator Rubicon going through some whoops at Hungry Valley OHV in 4H and second gear. I was impressed with the suspension. I am used to my old FJ62 with the OME lift kit and this old leaf spring design does not compare to the well tuned Rubicon coil suspension. Suspension travel is also outstanding. Depending on what you are used to, I still think you will be happy overall with the extra wheel base and the suspension travel in this stock truck. Enjoy the clip !

Thanks for the clip! I enjoyed it.

So is that why almost all the cars going fast in this vid are trucks? Sure, some of them fail, but most follow through with the fast driving/jumps and pull through.

Would these be cheaper to fix than a Jeep?

PUGLIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, SSMT
Thanks for the clip! I enjoyed it.

So is that why almost all the cars going fast in this vid are trucks? Sure, some of them fail, but most follow through with the fast driving/jumps and pull through.

Would these be cheaper to fix than a Jeep?

Not quite sure what you’re asking bud. Anytime you run a vehicle off road, you are going to have to fix stuff. Most of those vehicles would be way less expensive to fix cause they were a POS! Its gonna cost just as much to repair a ”new” truck with IFS(independent front suspension) as it would a JT. I personally wouldn’t do that kinda stuff with a new stock vehicle of any kind.

Off roading is dangerous and fun wether you’re crawling or going fast. Everyone knows there is risk. However, there is a big difference between being as prepared as possible with safety, honing skills and with the ability of your vehicle, ie upgrades, rather than doing 80% of what was on that video.

Spend the money on quality products it will take a lot more to bend or break and if it doesn’t its most likely rebuildable. so you end up with more fun for your buck.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I go slow because I can’t afford to fix the stuff that going fast does to my Jeep.
I go slow so I can stop in time . . . to smell the roses . . . but sometimes, just sometimes, if the conditions are ok, going fast(er) instead of slow(er) is Better on washboard. We know, I concur with my better half - the Grand Cherokee I share my adventures with (till some Wrangler iteration comes along) . . . hush now "she" might be listening . ;)

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So this kind of stuff would be really hard on a Jeep?

What if I had something like this installed

http://evomfg.com/EVO-MFG-Products/Jeep-Gladiator-JT/Suspension Systems?product_id=644

So, you have a thread you started and you've asked basic off roading questions. And your thread is still going :handsinair: but I have to ask...

What's your point? Have you ever off roaded? (Do you even off road Bro? :giggle: )

Off roading is basic. You go off road for a wide variety of reasons and purposes. And there are some basic rules. One of them is when you go off road you might break something. And when you go off road fast something might break faster

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, you have a thread you started and you've asked basic off roading questions. And your thread is still going :handsinair: but I have to ask...

What's your point? Have you ever off roaded? (Do you even off road Bro? :giggle: )

Off roading is basic. You go off road for a wide variety of reasons and purposes. And there are some basic rules. One of them is when you go off road you might break something. And when you go off road fast something might break faster
I do not off road and will not until a couple more years. But I like to research things before I do them and learn from those who have experience.

:jk:
Sponsored