Sponsored

School me on hitch mounted Winches, why are they not more popular?

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
It seems to me a hitch mounted winch, along with a front hitch mount on the JT, offers a number of advantages compared to only mounting a winch to the front bumper, which if you have a plastic one, involves a bumper upgrade.

So why is everyone using front mounted winches when our JT's with towing package allow it to be easily used in the rear of the truck for extraction from snow, sand, etc?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JoseQ_80

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer

OP
OP
JoseQ_80

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Thanks for moving thread.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I plan on doing it at sone point in time. Gonna put it on a removable winch cradle and run two. Had one on my Renegade. Got me out of a jam that a front mounted winch couldn't have.
Jeep Gladiator School me on hitch mounted Winches, why are they not more popular? 20191025_151027
Jeep Gladiator School me on hitch mounted Winches, why are they not more popular? 20191025_140231

Really could've used one here.
Jeep Gladiator School me on hitch mounted Winches, why are they not more popular? 52269

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It seems to me a hitch mounted winch, along with a front hitch mount on the JT, offers a number of advantages compared to only mounting a winch to the front bumper, which if you have a plastic one, involves a bumper upgrade.

So why is everyone using front mounted winches when our JT's with towing package allow it to be easily used in the rear of the truck for extraction from snow, sand, etc?
MAYBE the limits of the receiver? 9,000 pounds max compared to those wanting to run a 10,000-12,000 pound capable winch??

I am very much thinking of moving mine out of the front bumper now - have had enough time to think of it and MY PERSONAL use of a winch would be for pulling something/someone out of a ditch or deep snow - heck, maybe even myself, and I wonder - do I want to pull THROUGH the problem or pull back away from it?
I'm also thinking of the weight reduction for the truck - but then with my back how would I deal with 90 pounds of winch and mount. My winch alone is 80 pounds then the mount would be at least 15-20 more, I'd be approaching something in the order of 100 pounds. My back is screwed up from a life of lifting and carrying and leaning over fenders already. So I have to consider that.
I also never know around here - the timing.
But I already have a front receiver installed, and have a receiver mount for a winch, but with the mount and receiver both being limited to 9,000 pounds of pull.........
And then - since I don't crawl up out of Grand Canyon - do I need the 12,000 pound pull capacity of my winch? (and that's only with the rope out, as you layer up, that 12K goes down.
I think it's the fact I don't feel like dealing with wiring clear to the back of my truck and rigging up the front connections either - too many other projects.
If there was someone close by who would help out, it would likely convince me to use the receiver and take it out of the bumper.

I have one of these on the shelf but I don't think it's big enough for that huge 12K Apex winch I have in the bumper.
I have a Curt receiver - but with the steel bumper the receiver sits way back of the bumper and this may not even fit back into the receiver.

Jeep Gladiator School me on hitch mounted Winches, why are they not more popular? winch-bracket-receiver

With the steel bumper, the receiver sits way back. With the plastic bumper, it's not bad.

Jeep Gladiator School me on hitch mounted Winches, why are they not more popular? 20210617_101923

Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
MAYBE the limits of the receiver? 9,000 pounds max compared to those wanting to run a 10,000-12,000 pound capable winch??

do I want to pull THROUGH the problem or pull back away from it?
My 9500 Smittybilt XRC has served me well. My father-in-law had a 10,000 lb winch on his tow truck that literally was all he needed for everything he towed. And I'm talking about a F-350 stuck in park being yanked up onto the bed.

Every time I've been stuck it would've been more feasible to winch back out...like below.

OP
OP
JoseQ_80

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Great feedback. So I see the following pros/cons

1. This is the one case where having the plastic bumper is a Pro and not a Con. Hitch is an easier install for a plastic bumper/skid plate than the steel one.

2. Maximum flexibility, can use it in the front or rear of any properly equiped vehicle, not just your own permantently attached to the front bumper.

3. Hitch allows use of other carriers for bikes/fishing poles/stuff and easier moving of trailers.

4. You can leave the winch at home when you are not wheeling.

5. Not carrying extra weight for the commute.

6. When you do go off road, you can leave it in the rear seats/bed tied down and only attach it when you need it.

Cons:

1. Extra wiring for rear installations.

2. If you leave in place when wheeling, decreased approach/departure angles.

3. Winch/plate/wiring setup will weigh up to 100 lbs so "portable" is a relative term if you have back issues.

4. There will be that ONE time you needed it but left it at home.

5. Max pull is 9000 lbs, so that might be an issue, but then if you accept that you can just buy a 9000 lb rated winch and not spend the extra money on anything stronger and heavier.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Another con is you really need to limit things to straight pulls. Receiver mounts don't do well with any angled side loads.

I would HOPE that someone planning to run two winches also has the smarts to bring a snatch block. 🤣

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I had one with a Toyota about twenty years ago. I had a receiver mount on the front, and rear and then had a receiver mount in the bed to store the winch. The winch decreased my approach angle horribly, so I would keep the winch in the bed of the truck until I needed it. But once you need it, you have to get it on the front or rear of a stuck vehicle. Long story short, it just wasn't practicle. I ended changing the whole setup so it was bumper mounted on the front. That was so much better.

Lugging a heavy winch around trying to get it mounted to a receiver in muddy conditions was just not safe or fun.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Great feedback. So I see the following pros/cons

1. This is the one case where having the plastic bumper is a Pro and not a Con. Hitch is an easier install for a plastic bumper/skid plate than the steel one.

2. Maximum flexibility, can use it in the front or rear of any properly equiped vehicle, not just your own permantently attached to the front bumper.

3. Hitch allows use of other carriers for bikes/fishing poles/stuff and easier moving of trailers.

4. You can leave the winch at home when you are not wheeling.

5. Not carrying extra weight for the commute.

6. When you do go off road, you can leave it in the rear seats/bed tied down and only attach it when you need it.

Cons:

1. Extra wiring for rear installations.

2. If you leave in place when wheeling, decreased approach/departure angles.

3. Winch/plate/wiring setup will weigh up to 100 lbs so "portable" is a relative term if you have back issues.

4. There will be that ONE time you needed it but left it at home.

5. Max pull is 9000 lbs, so that might be an issue, but then if you accept that you can just buy a 9000 lb rated winch and not spend the extra money on anything stronger and heavier.
I put my front receiver on for
moving/parking my car hauler,
and MAYBE some day a receiver mount plow,
down the list was "well, I could move the winch to the receiver if I wanted to, if it's already there for other uses"

I'd not want it left in place because unless you have it somehow secured it would wiggle, wobble and bounce around like other receiver accessories. (and because I'd forget it was up there and bump into something or smack my shin - ouch)
I had also wondered because I could mount a bracket to my car hauler and slip the winch into it and thus have a winch on my trailer if needed - but it's a tilt bed so that would be fun.

I would HOPE that someone planning to run two winches also has the smarts to bring a snatch block. 🤣
Or two. Yeah, receivers aren't made for any sort of side load, and neither are the winch cradles for the receiver (whatever the term is) The receiver info I have - I believe it says "9,000 pound straight pull" or words to that effect.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I had one with a Toyota about twenty years ago. I had a receiver mount on the front, and rear and then had a receiver mount in the bed to store the winch. The winch decreased my approach angle horribly, so I would keep the winch in the bed of the truck until I needed it. But once you need it, you have to get it on the front or rear of a stuck vehicle. Long story short, it just wasn't practicle. I ended changing the whole setup so it was bumper mounted on the front. That was so much better.

Lugging a heavy winch around trying to get it mounted to a receiver in muddy conditions was just not safe or fun.
I think this captures a major "con" to the receiver mounts perfectly. I can remember riding with a buddy who had a receiver winch setup, and he got nose down in a spot where winching forward was the only way out. The problem was we couldn't get the receiver mounted to the front. Ended up doing some crazy snatch block routing from the rear and almost flipped his rig trying to get it out. After that he moved to a cradle mount for the rear and a bumper mount for the front.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Had one. Weight is really something to consider. The are not light. Only reason I could see having one again is if I was trying to share it across multiple vehicles. Other than that, it's just not worth it.
I hear the 'leave it at home when you aren't wheeling' justification for a lot of mods, but I've used my winch/ jack/ fuel tanks, etc to help stranded motorists when I'm not in the woods. At this point I just like to have my gear with me. You never know what the day holds.
Also, they typically hang pretty low, so if you're stuck in the mud- lining up the hitch receiver and electrical connection can be a messy job.
Sponsored