Sponsored

Anyone with Grimm Off-Road ARB compressor bracket?

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Does anyone have the Grimm Off-road ARB dual compressor mount? Their mount installs the compressor in the driver's side wheel well...close to the catalytic converter. I wasn't sold on the location at first due to its proximity to the exhaust but after reading their assurances and seeing that Northridge 4x4 recommended and sold the product I decided to go for it. I'm not a fan of having the compressor in the vehicle and prefer it up front. Well I have been using it for a few months now and it has been working well until this last week. Now it has been quite warm in the last few weeks but when I tried to use the compressor off the trail this last weekend it shut off on me due to excessive heat. I thought it to be a fluke so I decided to try it out again today. I drove home the 25min on the freeway, aired down when I arrived home, and then attempted to air up again. I got to the last tire and the compressor shut off again. I spoke to Grimm and they said during testing they ran their Gladiator for 8 hours straight with the compressor going the whole time and heat was never an issue and it never shut down. I'm having a hard time believing that the compressor itself could be bad as has given me zero hiccups since I've owned it and have used it a decent amount. I wanted to see if anyone else has this mount or has experienced the same issue with heat soak when installing the compressor in the wheel well.
Sponsored

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
We have installed about 100 and sold around 500 of these and have not had any issues with heat at all. We also run it on our 6.4 which creates more heat than the factory engine with zero issues.
I think Grimm has sold a couple thousand and I haven’t heard any reports of heat related.

we also have been running the twin under the hood on TJ’s and JK’s for about 12-15 years.

my guess is something is defective with the compressor. ARB has really good tech support I would give them a call

425-264-1391

OP
OP
duvinclunk

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
We have installed about 100 and sold around 500 of these and have not had any issues with heat at all. We also run it on our 6.4 which creates more heat than the factory engine with zero issues.
I think Grimm has sold a couple thousand and I haven’t heard any reports of heat related.

we also have been running the twin under the hood on TJ’s and JK’s for about 12-15 years.

my guess is something is defective with the compressor. ARB has really good tech support I would give them a call

425-264-1391
Thank you for the reply. I too have run the ARB dual compressor for years in various vehicles and have owned several, only to be replaced when I sold the vehicle. This current compressor has been owned by me for a few years now and has lived its life in a Land Cruiser engine bay as well as a Tacoma engine bay, both with zero issues even when pumping multiple trucks up off the trail. Only issue I've ever had with it would be when I installed it into the wheel well.

I will certainly give ARB a call but I can only assume I know what they'll say. They're #2 in their list of do not's in their manual would be to mount it near the exhaust. I'd be willing to bet they're going to tell me that would be the issue.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Right on. There is some internal parts that can go bad like relays and such.
Grimm actually built this kit with ARB’s blessing and they are currently working on Toyota and Ford brackets.
And rumor has it ARB has a under hood mount for the bronco coming out

OP
OP
duvinclunk

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Right on. There is some internal parts that can go bad like relays and such.
Grimm actually built this kit with ARB’s blessing and they are currently working on Toyota and Ford brackets.
And rumor has it ARB has a under hood mount for the bronco coming out
I wonder if I exhaust wrapped my exhaust in that area to kill some of the radiant heat.…

Also, can the compressor be wrapped in some way? Since the filters are on top of the engine does the unit need fresh air? Or can it also be shielded with some tpe of heat reflective?

Sponsored

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
There is no need in my opinion. And the filters are relocated to get up out of the way of water. The compressor is full submersible with the filters being the limiting factor

OP
OP
duvinclunk

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
There is no need in my opinion. And the filters are relocated to get up out of the way of water. The compressor is full submersible with the filters being the limiting factor
I suppose I was referring to covering the compressor from heat rather than elements or water. Mine obviously is having an issue with the heat and just trying to come up with ideas to limit the heat it is exposed to.

OP
OP
duvinclunk

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Working with Grimm on this and it may be that my compressor may have the old thermal switches. They're working with me to get new thermal switches from ARB. Hopefully that solves my issue.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Also, can the compressor be wrapped in some way?

Since the filters are on top of the engine does the unit need fresh air?
You definitely do not want to wrap the compressor in anyway. It needs to have airflow in and around the cylinder heads. The fan on the end of the compressor helps circulate the air around the cylinder heads.

The filters are for the incoming air to be compressed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
duvinclunk

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
You definitely do not want to wrap the compressor in anyway. It needs to have airflow in and around the cylinder heads. The fan on the end of the compressor helps circulate the air around the cylinder heads.

The filters are for the incoming air to be compressed.
Thanks for the information.

Chris at Grimm Off-road is super helpful and seems to be as interested as me to get the issue resolved as there hasn't been other reports of the same issue. Hopefully the new thermal switches solve the issue.

LzyHkr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Hope the thermal switches resolve your issue. In May I installed the Grimm Offroad mount with a compressor I purchased in 2017 and used in a JK under the hood. Haven't had an opportunity to use the compressor after a long day of off roading, but am hopeful that the compressor will operate with no issues like it did under the hood. I'll be paying attention for your resolution.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Been running this setup for over a year all sorts off off roading exposed to lots of nasty conditions. Does seem to struggle lately but figure the compressor only has so much life in it and after tens of hours of use maybe can expect a reduction in output? Seemed to also have reduced output on very hot days last Summer. In process to swap it to a case for portability and put the small arb air locker activation in its place. Would be interested to hear how it ended up working out for you.

Dr. Panthro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Any updates to your problem? Been thinking of getting the same setup.

OP
OP
duvinclunk

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Any updates to your problem? Been thinking of getting the same setup.
I did find a solution…I bought a PowerTank. Haha. It’s just gotten weaker having gotten so hot over the many drives. It’s not ideal of a setup In my opinion.
Sponsored