Sponsored

Old school style fender welting?

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I don't have my truck yet, but I'm trying to get my ducks lined up. I've seen that it's common to push rubber cord into the gap between the fenders and body to keep pebbles from getting in there and chewing up the paint, but it seems like it likes to work its way back out, doesn't survive car washes, etc.. Has anyone tried actual fender welting?

https://www.steelerubber.com/fender-welting-20-1590-44

Just an example above, and not necessarily the best one. Back when cars had fenders more generally, this was part of the installation. The welting had holes in it that matched the bolt holes, and it masked uneven lines between hand formed panels. Uneven panels aren't as much of an issue these days, but if attempting to wedge a rubber cord into a notch works, there are welting profiles that will do that while staying in place better assuming I'm not missing something. Best I can tell, the holes are pretty low and would require some very tall welting, but it may be enough to have a flat welt pinched between the body and fender without any bolts going through it (and would certainly be better than the cord).

What am I missing?
Sponsored

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Just about everything from the 10s-40s. And I guess VW Type 1 beetles through 2003.

Random photo from google image search:
Jeep Gladiator Old school style fender welting? dscf4232-

Jeep Gladiator Old school style fender welting? 6c56defa974eb929347fa9efb13b

The 1-3/8" section goes between the fender and the body, and the bead sticks out like where people are shoving the rubber cord. You punch holes to match up with bolts, and cut notches to turn corners. Without having a truck to hand and going solely on images I can find online, it looks like there's no hardware high enough up to require punching holes, but if the welting isn't too thick, it seems like it might pinch just fine. No idea what the tolerances are from internet photos though...

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
I use the tubing in my JLUR and since the install it has never worked its way out and we have been on multiple road trips and it gets washed often. I think most people are just not working it in far enough. Mine also starts from being tucked behind the front grill then under the hood latch and then down between the fender.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I use the tubing in my JLUR and since the install it has never worked its way out and we have been on multiple road trips and it gets washed often. I think most people are just not working it in far enough. Mine also starts from being tucked behind the front grill then under the hood latch and then down between the fender.
My experience as well... you need to work it in tight to close the gap that traps sand grains.

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious to what others have done. I have a Sport so I don't have the highline fenders and I don't know if the tube will work on mine. I do like the rendering of the welting shown above. Is this something that is still available?

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I do like the rendering of the welting shown above. Is this something that is still available?
The image is from the link in the OP to the product. There are lots of different types, sizes, profiles, and materials of welting. That particular product is for an outfit that makes rubber products for restoring Fords. It was just a random example of welting that google gave me after 0.003 seconds worth of searching. I'm sure something especially well suited to the platform could be found with a little more legwork. Like I said though, I don't have a truck to hand yet, so I can't confirm that it will work or even narrow the search much.

Here's some really cheap stuff. No dimensions other than the 25' (which is supposed to be enough for a JT) though... Also, EMPI is notorious for peddling some of the worst Chinesium garbage you've ever seen... No idea how that translates to fender welt.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/EMPI...w7WDjqgqMgx1vmbcEejPe4lwhyQNR_FoaAo0qEALw_wcB
Sponsored