Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Seeking your opinions please.
I really appreciate the build quality and look of all of that new hardware under the front end and am considering removing the skid plate until I get something better that aligns with the bumper & winch combo that I haven’t picked yet. I probably will not end up selecting those until later this year after I have had a chance to attend some Jeep gatherings and see how various bumpers look in the real world vs. pictures. My only reason for removing it is to see all that new hardware because I admire it in the way people appreciate steam punk art. I have always liked looking at mechanical stuff such as external pushrods, carburetors, and aluminum finned covers on older motorcycles and like these suspension components in the same way.
so, here is my question: given that the version of skid plate under the front bumper on this model is essentially a plastic thing that probably does more to keep things somewhat cleaner than nothing and provides limited protection, would you remove it or wait until you have the more substantial replacement because having it there is indeed better than nothing?
Sponsored

Koaloha

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA
Occupation
Investor / engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Seeking your opinions please.
I really appreciate the build quality and look of all of that new hardware under the front end and am considering removing the skid plate until I get something better that aligns with the bumper & winch combo that I haven’t picked yet. I probably will not end up selecting those until later this year after I have had a chance to attend some Jeep gatherings and see how various bumpers look in the real world vs. pictures. My only reason for removing it is to see all that new hardware because I admire it in the way people appreciate steam punk art. I have always liked looking at mechanical stuff such as external pushrods, carburetors, and aluminum finned covers on older motorcycles and like these suspension components in the same way.
so, here is my question: given that the version of skid plate under the front bumper on this model is essentially a plastic thing that probably does more to keep things somewhat cleaner than nothing and provides limited protection, would you remove it or wait until you have the more substantial replacement because having it there is indeed better than nothing?
I believe its for fuel efficiency. I plan to remove mine once i upgrade to the RPM tie rod and drag link.

OP
OP
TheOpa

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
I believe its for fuel efficiency. I plan to remove mine once i upgrade to the RPM tie rod and drag link.
That seems Like it would make sense. I probably negated any benefit it provides with the lift and tires so maybe it will go. Actually, when seen from the side in one of the pics above it does appear to be a useful tool tray when under the truck working on something so maybe there’s that. 😂

Koaloha

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA
Occupation
Investor / engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That seems Like it would make sense. I probably negated any benefit it provides with the lift and tires so maybe it will go. Actually, when seen from the side in one of the pics above it does appear to be a useful tool tray when under the truck working on something so maybe there’s that. 😂
How did your fox stabilizer connect to the wheel side? Did the bolt or bracket come with stabilizer?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheOpa

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
I didn’t expect my new exhaust to arrive for maybe two more weeks but I got a nice surprise this week. Looks like I have some AWEsome plans for tomorrow morning! (alright, I’ll admit that was a pretty lame way to write that with the play on AWE but I left it there anyway). :rock:

BDAC827C-0A58-48D0-9870-282D07A55781.jpeg

Sara/AWE

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Ambassador of Stoke
Right on! Cant wait to see it installed 😎

JeepJunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Rubicon, 2019 JLU, 2022 JT Mojave
es and like these suspension components in the same way.
thanks for your service in the Navy,
fyi I‘ve run my JLUS (wrangler) w/o the plastic air damn for going on 3 years now. No adverse effects and my JL is heavily modded. Truthfully I don’t think my gas mileage even changed.
keep up the posts, I like the line-x product and your review was helpful.

OP
OP
TheOpa

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
thanks for your service in the Navy,
fyi I‘ve run my JLUS (wrangler) w/o the plastic air damn for going on 3 years now. No adverse effects and my JL is heavily modded. Truthfully I don’t think my gas mileage even changed.
keep up the posts, I like the line-x product and your review was helpful.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll be under there tomorrow morning and am planning to take that off too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheOpa

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Installed my AWE Trail Edition cat back exhaust this morning. The most difficult part was removing the stock exhaust in one piece. I dropped the spare tire and removed the aluminum shield but it was still too tight to get it over the axle. I used a motorcycle lift under the frame just in front of the rear tire and the old exhaust slid right out.

54321E85-B2E2-44B0-BEE1-4A9DF3C13824.jpeg

D565D633-A77A-4D8A-B67A-E954C8F334C0.jpeg

OP
OP
TheOpa

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Installing the new exhaust was pretty easy to do by myself. Took about an hour although I wasn’t exactly in a hurry so I’m sure someone could do it much more quickly if they wanted to. The key is leaving everything loose until it’s all installed and positioned where you want it. I’m really impressed with the quality of the parts and the workmanship. I‘m also really happy about the way it tucks up under the truck. I tried to take pics that provide some perspective for where it is located in relation to the frame, the spare, etc. If there is a better angle or a specific pic you would like to see, let me know.
Jeep Gladiator Opa’s HA build D9AD7821-D9F7-45FC-B528-10824790F9FF

09C7F3F0-361F-472A-A137-11DA364FC72C.jpeg

OP
OP
TheOpa

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Starting to get a pretty big pile of spare stock parts. This suspension has maybe 400 miles on it and the exhaust about 1200 miles. I don’t know whether to keep these or not.

27FDCB3C-2AB4-4B6F-A7EE-2A712551E502.jpeg