Ordering a Base Sport, question about manual locks and windows

fdarmi

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport, Cayenne GTS, Trailblazer SS, 300ZX
I am planning on ordering a Base Sport which as you all know has manual windows and doors. However is there any wiring inside the door strap. I have not been able to see first hand a Base Sport to verify. My desire is to make it quick and easy to pull the doors off. I've seen videos of the procedure with wires in the strap and I understand it is relatively simple but overall I am going for a very utility style with my order. Here is my plan … A Gator/Tan Base Sport, Tow package, Spray-in bedliner and Automatic. I will probably pickup the OEM slush mats, door sill guards and underseat storage separately, add a DiamondbackHD (black) bedcover, some LEDs for the assorted lights. Eventually maybe some type of half door with a mirror. I am sure there will be more but let's get it ordered first and go from there. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I haven't seen the base sport but my JK that had all manual controls had no wiring harness to the doors just the retainer strap. I don't see why they would run the extra wires when the assembly line is building base sports to be honest.

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
Gotta know when the door is closed, I'd be shocked if there weren't wires. Manufacturers hide a lot of stuff in the doors these days (door open switch, ambient temp sensor, air bag sensors just as general examples).

SWAMP THING

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I ordered the same way you did. I’m pretty sure there won’t be any wires.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
95A25D82-A564-4E6D-B067-2DD9A3CAECF6.jpeg
979986BB-C1E8-4ACC-B162-6C197BBE2647.jpeg
I have a base Sport model Gladiator with manual windows, mirrors and locks. And I can tell you that there’s no wires inside the straps. Here’s a couple of pictures. And FYI the wires are actually inside the straps on Gladiators with power windows, mirrors and locks. Early on I looked at a Gladiator that had power windows, mirrors and locks and you can feel the wires inside the straps. And with my Gladiator you can’t feel any such wires since there’s no wires inside the straps.

I am planning on ordering a Base Sport which as you all know has manual windows and doors. However is there any wiring inside the door strap. I have not been able to see first hand a Base Sport to verify. My desire is to make it quick and easy to pull the doors off. I've seen videos of the procedure with wires in the strap and I understand it is relatively simple but overall I am going for a very utility style with my order. Here is my plan … A Gator/Tan Base Sport, Tow package, Spray-in bedliner and Automatic. I will probably pickup the OEM slush mats, door sill guards and underseat storage separately, add a DiamondbackHD (black) bedcover, some LEDs for the assorted lights. Eventually maybe some type of half door with a mirror. I am sure there will be more but let's get it ordered first and go from there. Thanks for any input.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
8DF7CF59-9456-4FCA-90AF-2AAC684C8956.jpeg
Hey folks sorry but I stand corrected. There actually is very small wires inside the doors. I just opened up my back door and then opened up the strap cover. That cover is much easier to open up than the front door strap cover. And as you can see in this picture it’s a very small wire that you can quickly and easily unplug. I would not let this small wire be a reason not to get a base Sport model. The only thing that I can guess that this wire could be there for is the door “open” warning that you will get if someone opens up a door while you roll down the road. Sorry for the mix up. You really can’t feel it on the drivers door strap. My bad!

SWAMP THING

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Hmm, figured there wouldn’t be a wire. No problemo though!

OP
OP

fdarmi

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since there are wires in the door either with manual or power I have to assume the procedure is the same to remove the connectors when removing the doors. If that's the case it certainly changes my thought on getting the base Sport vs the Sport S. Don't get me wrong I don't mind power things but was looking for simplicity in the on/off of the doors. The cost going to an S isn't an issue but now it opens me up to spending more since I can get more with Sport S and so on. Living in PA I certainly wouldn't mind cold weather package, remote start, the LED light package would be nice and next thing you know I am driving home in a Rubicon.

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Since there are wires in the door either with manual or power I have to assume the procedure is the same to remove the connectors when removing the doors. If that's the case it certainly changes my thought on getting the base Sport vs the Sport S. Don't get me wrong I don't mind power things but was looking for simplicity in the on/off of the doors. The cost going to an S isn't an issue but now it opens me up to spending more since I can get more with Sport S and so on. Living in PA I certainly wouldn't mind cold weather package, remote start, the LED light package would be nice and next thing you know I am driving home in a Rubicon.
Yep, this is exactly what happened to me over the past few months ...

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
lol i think thats Jeeps point.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
This is so true :LOL::LOL::LOL:

OP
OP

fdarmi

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I totally get it, I am just trying to exhibit some self control but I usually fail miserably at it when it comes to anything with axels.

So Jake can I call you Jake ? What happens when you disconnect the harness in you door jambs but leave you doors on? Is there any type of fault indicator? I have to assume since the doors are expected to be removed and driven there isn’t any issue. I am thinking I can just leave the wires off all the time if all it does is indicate the door is open when they are connected.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
You can call me Jake if you want. No problem. It’s not my real name though. It’s just a forum name that I made up when I signed into the forum. It’s a public forum and I try to be low profile.

Now in answer to your question I really got no clue. I guess you could unplug the wires on all 4 doors and I guess the truck would then think that you are going doorless. But for me I would never do that. I really would want to get a dash warning when a passengers door suddenly opens up while I am rolling down the road. Why unplug them when you have the doors on?

Yes I totally get it, I am just trying to exhibit some self control but I usually fail miserably at it when it comes to anything with axels.

So Jake can I call you Jake? What happens when you disconnect the harness in you door jambs but leave you doors on? Is there any type of fault indicator? I have to assume since the doors are expected to be removed and driven there isn’t any issue. I am thinking I can just leave the wires off all the time if all it does is indicate the door is open when they are connected.

Last edited:
OP
OP

fdarmi

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The primary reason I was hoping for no wires was to be able to pull the doors on/off as quickly as possible. I know it sounds trivial but I will likely leave the hinge pin nuts off and the door check disconnected permanently leaving just the strap to come on/off when I take the doors on/off. I figured I would get an extra set of the panel covers for where the strap is and cut them open more to give access to the strap without having to pop the panel off every time.
Sponsored