Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubi JT, 06 XK 5.7
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
So, as promised, this is my documented trip to Hot Springs this past Saturday.

We camped out Friday at the park campsite. It was just under $60 for a tent site. We stayed at T7, right on the creek. With an idea of how the sites are laid out, we'll pick another one next time as there was very little room to park. All of the other sites seemed a little better situated.

We sat up camp Friday at about 5 PM, got settled in and looked over the map and planned out our trails for the next morning. I caught a couple of the guys who had JTRs left over from the Jeep Jamboree participants and asked their opinions on what trails I could run with a stock setup. Basically as everyone else had said--stick with anything 3 and below if you don't have a lift, bigger tires or underbody protection.

We started early, got to the trailhead right at 9 AM. We picked up a bag of ice for snacks and drinks. We met a couple from Louisiana in a TRD 4 Runner at the registration building that asked to tag along and agreed two was better than one. We took some more difficult lines than they did throughout the day to see what the JT was capable of but we started and finished the day off together.

THE TRAILS:
We started on B1 (Bulletproof Loop), directly behind the registration building, and ended at Snake, then headed SW on Road 5 and then E on Road 2 to head back into camp. Below is a list in order of trails we took.

B1 (Bulletproof Loop) (1/2/2)
B4 (GC Challenge) (1/1/1)
B22 (Waterfall) (1/1/1)

Nothing really to note on the above 3 trails; a couple tight spots, but nothing you can't 3-point easily. This was a good warm-up and easy as expected.

C4 (Power Wagon Point) (3/3/3)

From the beginning of this trail on until the end of the day, we stayed locked front & rear with the sway bar disconnected.

We took our first damage on this one but it was unavoidable. The beginning of the trail goes into a narrow creek bed with a steep entry and steep exit with nowhere else to go. We accepted the risk and scuffed the rear left bed skid plate bumper and hitch. Shorter wheelbase would have been fine. I considered it rather ironically named as any Power Wagon would have had it worse. This trail is where I got familiar with the crawl function and how to adjust the speed in manual. Bottom line: I like it alot. It does make some interesting sounds that may scare off some from using. The guy I talked to from the Jamboree on Friday night had no clue what it was when I asked how he liked it.

C12 (The Zappasodi)
I don't remember much about this trail, so nothing to really worry about. Just take your time.

C13 Tail End (Pacos Tacos)
Headed NE on Road 5
F41 (Compass Canyon)

We ended up waiting on a large group at the exit of Snake at the beginning of F41 right after we turned off Road 5. There was a rock formation directly in front of my right tire that I had noticed as we were stopping and waiting for the group to pass; easily avoidable but forgot it was there once we got moving again. I dropped right off it, about 18 inches and caught the forward skid plate cross member and some minor dents on the exhaust. We carried over about a 150 pound rock and wedged it under the front tire, easily backing up and continuing around it.

F17 Tail End (Lashes Loop)
Headed SW on Road 1

Nothing to note here.

F12 (Lake Winder)
Got temporarily lost here, as there are more directions to go here than what are marked on the map; and as the name suggests, it's a little tight in some spots.

F17 Beginning (Lashes Loop)
F19 (Snake) First BoH

Snake has some more technical obstacles that if you didn't have any choice to go over, the trail would definitely be rated higher. If you have a Rubicon and a decent understanding of AoAs, there's nothing to really be afraid of here. I believe we reached pitches around 22 degrees. Nothing significantly hard, but we did slip in one area as it had rained Thursday and Friday, and our tread was pretty packed with mud at this point. Toward the end of the trail we had a solid rock embankment on a curve that the wife decided to get out, grab the dog and take pictures. As she did, we found our pup was getting motion-sickness and had thrown up in her seat basket. At that pointed, we decided that would be the last trail of the day for us.

From there we headed back to camp and got back about 3. We rested for the remainder of the afternoon and nursed our pup back to health. We will definitely be back very soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

We camped out Friday at the park campsite. It was just under $60 for a tent site. We stayed at T7, right on the creek. With an idea of how the sites are laid out, we'll pick another one next time as there was very little room to park. All of the other sites seemed a little better situated.

We sat up camp Friday at about 5 PM, got settled in and looked over the map and planned out our trails for the next morning. I caught a couple of the guys who had JTRs left over from the Jeep Jamboree participants and asked their opinions on what trails I could run with a stock setup. Basically as everyone else had said--stick with anything 3 and below if you don't have a lift, bigger tires or underbody protection.

We started early, got to the trailhead right at 9 AM. We picked up a bag of ice for snacks and drinks. We met a couple from Louisiana in a TRD 4 Runner at the registration building that asked to tag along and agreed two was better than one. We took some more difficult lines than they did throughout the day to see what the JT was capable of but we started and finished the day off together.

THE TRAILS:
We started on B1 (Bulletproof Loop), directly behind the registration building, and ended at Snake, then headed SW on Road 5 and then E on Road 2 to head back into camp. Below is a list in order of trails we took.

B22 (Waterfall) (1/1/1)

Nothing really to note on the above 3 trails; a couple tight spots, but nothing you can't 3-point easily. This was a good warm-up and easy as expected.

From the beginning of this trail on until the end of the day, we stayed locked front & rear with the sway bar disconnected.

We took our first damage on this one but it was unavoidable. The beginning of the trail goes into a narrow creek bed with a steep entry and steep exit with nowhere else to go. We accepted the risk and scuffed the rear left bed skid plate bumper and hitch. Shorter wheelbase would have been fine. I considered it rather ironically named as any Power Wagon would have had it worse. This trail is where I got familiar with the crawl function and how to adjust the speed in manual. Bottom line: I like it alot. It does make some interesting sounds that may scare off some from using. The guy I talked to from the Jamboree on Friday night had no clue what it was when I asked how he liked it.

C12 (The Zappasodi)
I don't remember much about this trail, so nothing to really worry about. Just take your time.

Headed NE on Road 5
F41 (Compass Canyon)

We ended up waiting on a large group at the exit of Snake at the beginning of F41 right after we turned off Road 5. There was a rock formation directly in front of my right tire that I had noticed as we were stopping and waiting for the group to pass; easily avoidable but forgot it was there once we got moving again. I dropped right off it, about 18 inches and caught the forward skid plate cross member and some minor dents on the exhaust. We carried over about a 150 pound rock and wedged it under the front tire, easily backing up and continuing around it.

Headed SW on Road 1

Nothing to note here.

F12 (Lake Winder)
Got temporary lost here, as there are more directions here than what are marked on the map, and as the name suggests, it's a little tight in some spots.

F19 (Snake) First BoH

Snake has some more technical obstacles that if you didn't have any choice to go over, the trail would definitely be rated higher. If you have a Rubicon and a decent understanding of AoAs, there's nothing to really be afraid of here. I believe we reached pitches around 22 degrees. Nothing significantly hard, but we did slip in one area as it had rained Thursday and Friday, and our tread was pretty packed with mud at this point.

From there we headed back to camp and got back about 3. We rested for the remainder of the afternoon and nursed our pup back to health. We will definitely be back very soon.
I was there in October. Good challenging trails. For what it’s worth, you don’t need lockers, especially front, unless you’re actively not getting traction to one or both front wheels. You drastically decrease steering when they’re locked, and it’s much harder on the drivetrain to run locked the whole time. I only use lockers when they’re absolutely needed to get past something. It’s a learning experience. I was there once too.

OP
OP
RubiAR

RubiAR

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubi JT, 06 XK 5.7
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
A few pictures my wife took. I really wish I had her get out on some other spots that would have been even greater for pictures, but we were as you could say, caught up in the moment.

IMG_3979 (1).jpg

20240323_134834 (1).jpg

20240323_111143.jpg

20240323_103732 (1).jpg

20240323_111211 (1).jpg

BunkieJeeper75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
construction
Pics of the “damage”?

OP
OP
RubiAR

RubiAR

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubi JT, 06 XK 5.7
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Pics of the “damage”?
I was waiting for someone to ask, as I'm not concerned about it. I just wanted to make it clear to everyone to expect a few underbody/frame scrapes.

Jeep Gladiator Our Trip to Hot Springs Off-Road Park 20240324_163955

Jeep Gladiator Our Trip to Hot Springs Off-Road Park 20240324_164351

Jeep Gladiator Our Trip to Hot Springs Off-Road Park 20240324_164010

Jeep Gladiator Our Trip to Hot Springs Off-Road Park 20240324_164006

Jeep Gladiator Our Trip to Hot Springs Off-Road Park 20240324_164201

Jeep Gladiator Our Trip to Hot Springs Off-Road Park 20240324_164136

Jeep Gladiator Our Trip to Hot Springs Off-Road Park 20240324_164041

That's pretty much the extent of it. Other than the dent on the exhaust and the scrape on the control arm bracket, the factory underbody protection took care of it. It's hard to tell, but the forward skid plate crossmember is bent in a little bit. It'll definitely be one of my next upgrades.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiAR

RubiAR

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubi JT, 06 XK 5.7
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I was there in October. Good challenging trails. For what it’s worth, you don’t need lockers, especially front, unless you’re actively not getting traction to one or both front wheels. You drastically decrease steering when they’re locked, and it’s much harder on the drivetrain to run locked the whole time. I only use lockers when they’re absolutely needed to get past something. It’s a learning experience. I was there once too.
Yeah, I figured I wouldn't, and it was a pain to get turned quite few times while locked; but the guy from the Jamboree did recommend it with how wet and loose a lot of the rock he came across were on some of the steeper hills. Definitely didn't have any problems, and it was a much smoother ride with the sway bar disconnected.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I figured I wouldn't, and it was a pain to get turned quite few times while locked; but the guy from the Jamboree did recommend it with how wet and loose a lot of the rock he came across were on some of the steeper hills. Definitely didn't have any problems, and it was a much smoother ride with the sway bar disconnected.
No question. My swaybar stays disconnected from trailhead to trailhead. So much more comfy. If you were losing traction, that’s what the lockers are there for, but I only use the rear, unless the front is actually necessary. It’s really hard on steering.

BunkieJeeper75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
construction
I was waiting for someone to ask, as I'm not concerned about it. I just wanted to make it clear to everyone to expect a few underbody/frame scrapes.

That's pretty much the extent of it. Other than the dent on the exhaust and the scrape on the control arm bracket, the factory underbody protection took care of it. It's hard to tell, but the forward skid plate crossmember is bent in a little bit. It'll definitely be one of my next upgrades.
Not bad 😀
What size lift and tires ?

OP
OP
RubiAR

RubiAR

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubi JT, 06 XK 5.7
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Not bad 😀
What size lift and tires ?
Completely stock other than -12 offset Rocktrix wheels. As mentioned before, very doable in a stock JTR. And there were so many other trails we could have taken. You could spend 2 full days (9 AM-6 PM) and you still won't have time to run all the 1-3 level trails available. It left plenty for us to ponder and plan for until the next trip down.

James H

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jack of all tirades
My wife and I were there last weekend also. Fantastic park! We ran the 4 BOH trails, and several others while we were there. Only had 1 pucker moment, when we slid backwards down the slab on Fun Run. Would definitely recommend this park to anyone, there's enough variety to keep most everyone happy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiAR

RubiAR

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubi JT, 06 XK 5.7
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I were there last weekend also. Fantastic park! We ran the 4 BOH trails, and several others while we were there. Only had 1 pucker moment, when we slid backwards down the slab on Fun Run. Would definitely recommend this park to anyone, there's enough variety to keep most everyone happy.
That's funny, you probably saw us. We were parked right next to the entrance, staying in the tent sites

James H

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jack of all tirades
Probably crossed paths, but honestly my head was swiveling around a lot, admiring a lot of good looking Jeeps out there!

40x40

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon
Occupation
gray beard

THE TRAILS:

B22 (Waterfall) (1/1/1)

C12 (The Zappasodi)

Headed NE on Road 5
F41 (Compass Canyon)

Headed SW on Road 1

Nothing to note here.

F12 (Lake Winder)
Got temporarily lost here, as there are more directions to go here than what are marked on the map; and as the name suggests, it's a little tight in some spots.

F19 (Snake) First BoH

Snake has some more technical obstacles that if you didn't have any choice to go over, the trail would definitely be rated higher. If you have a Rubicon and a decent understanding of AoAs, there's nothing to really be afraid of here. I believe we reached pitches around 22 degrees. Nothing significantly hard, but we did slip in one area as it had rained Thursday and Friday, and our tread was pretty packed with mud at this point. Toward the end of the trail we had a solid rock embankment on a curve that the wife decided to get out, grab the dog and take pictures. As she did, we found our pup was getting motion-sickness and had thrown up in her seat basket. At that pointed, we decided that would be the last trail of the day for us.

we had a great time there last july and man it was DRY! you will discover that even by driving slow and careful with line selection, you'll have great memories with the souvenirs you bring home, dents, scrapes, twisted metal...... if you get tired of tenting, panther valley ranch is next to hsorp. we had a log cabin and were the only customers there. another venue to hit is smorr southern missouri off road ranch. we have a 4" lift and 40" tires so we chose the difficult trails. it is a very well managed park. again, no camping, but a super 8 is 20 minutes down the road. happy trails to you.

OP
OP
RubiAR

RubiAR

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubi JT, 06 XK 5.7
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
we had a great time there last july and man it was DRY! you will discover that even by driving slow and careful with line selection, you'll have great memories with the souvenirs you bring home, dents, scrapes, twisted metal...... if you get tired of tenting, panther valley ranch is next to hsorp. we had a log cabin and were the only customers there. another venue to hit is smorr southern missouri off road ranch. we have a 4" lift and 40" tires so we chose the difficult trails. it is a very well managed park. again, no camping, but a super 8 is 20 minutes down the road. happy trails to you.
Thanks for the info! We did think about Panther Valley next time. We're planning another run at HS in May and then try Hidden Falls and/or Bridgeport in June for another couple of badges😁

James H

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jack of all tirades
Shoot me a DM when you go to Hidden Falls, I go there pretty often and would be happy to show you around.
Sponsored