Sponsored

Overlander vs Mojave ride comfort at highway speed?

PeteJLU

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Firefighter
Anyone have opinion on ride comfort at hwy speed for Mojave vs Overlander ? I have a Sierra JLU now and am spoiled.
Sponsored

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Mojave rides better out of the box due to shocks and has 4:10 gears like the rubicon so will accelerate better and trail better, especially if you do larger tires.

other then that you have to decide if you need the extra features vs if you can make the overlander just as good with the money saved

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
I underwent this same decision back in August. I went with the Mojave for the 4.10 gears, rear locker, better suspension, and snazzier interior. With the affiliate pricing I was only a few thousand above a comparably loaded overland with the Employee Pricing promo. I am not someone who is going to drastically alter the suspension etc so I preferred the trim that already a had small lift and a good setup from the factory. The only thing I feel the need to change is the front bumper, I plan to put a steel winch capable bumper and a winch on in the spring.
Ride comfort was better on the bumps in the Mojave. although you still feel every pebble on the road due to the larger tire size. I do think fuel consumption is worse in the Mojave. Some guys on this site are getting 20's avg in the overlands. I am lucky to hold at 18.5 avg.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
. I do think fuel consumption is worse in the Mojave. Some guys on this site are getting 20's avg in the overlands. I am lucky to hold at 18.5 avg.
4.10 vs 3.73 gears

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
4.10 vs 3.73 gears

yep, the lower gears will reduce the MPG, especially highway since the rpm is higher. Once you do bigger tires it will prob help this a little

Sponsored

MichiganMojave

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
I went from a 2020 Overland to a 2021 Mojave and the ride in the Mojave is definitely better. It soaks up potholes and seams better and is more stable at highway speeds. I haven’t had the Mojave long enough to report on MPG yet.

hrw4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
Hooray another old thread.
I just got back from test driving a 2023 Mojave and a 2023 Overland. Mojave was a much harsher ride. You feel every bump, pothole, etc on the road. I'm just going to paste what I put in the other thread. I hate to bring these back from the dead but the people saying the Mojave is a more smooth ride are just...wrong. Or, there were major changes between 2020 and 2023 that made the Mojave a worse on-road driving vehicle. Thats a possibility. Either way, I found these threads when researching what gladiator to buy so if anyone does the same I want to make sure they have this info.
_____
Back to back, same tire pressure, same exact roads, made sure to hit all the potholes and manhole covers on the road that I could.
Mojave was a harsher ride. A much, much harsher ride. I was able to feel every bump, every imperfection.
When I went to the overland it felt like I was driving on a cloud in comparison.

They had the same packages besides the overland having LED lights and the Mojave having leather seats. Tire pressure was at 40psi on both. Mojave had the AT tires, Overland had the all season.

I would be interested to see if overland tires on the mojave would do any better but realistically the difference was so obvious that I can't see it making that much of a difference.

Mojave was a worse/harsher ride than my diesel wrangler which I thought would have stiffer springs and heavier duty shocks(though my wrangler has less aggressive tires).

Now, aside from the ride the Mojave really feels like it sits up higher and has better sight lines. My wife keeps telling me an extra inch would make a world of difference and now I realize she was talking about a lifted jeep this whole time!
The roll in turns was about the same but the Mojave did feel a little more stiff. The tires being overinflated obviously caused issues there, and the overland did feel a bit more squishy in the turns but they both felt good.

hrw4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mojave
(also copy paste from the other thread)

necro thread but I feel I had to make an update.
I think the Mojave's I test drove were duds.
Went to another dealer and test drove a few Sports (not the sport s, basic sport). It was horrible. I test drove another overland and it was nice. I thought they both had the same suspension setup so I was a bit confused about that(though I'll admit I never looked into that and confirmed anything).
Eventually, I drove another Mojave and the ride was really smooth. The suspension ate up everything I threw at it comfortably.
Ended up purchasing one, and drove it home the other day. Did a good couple hundred miles and loved it.

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
Hooray another old thread.
I just got back from test driving a 2023 Mojave and a 2023 Overland. Mojave was a much harsher ride. You feel every bump, pothole, etc on the road. I'm just going to paste what I put in the other thread. I hate to bring these back from the dead but the people saying the Mojave is a more smooth ride are just...wrong. Or, there were major changes between 2020 and 2023 that made the Mojave a worse on-road driving vehicle. Thats a possibility. Either way, I found these threads when researching what gladiator to buy so if anyone does the same I want to make sure they have this info.
_____
Back to back, same tire pressure, same exact roads, made sure to hit all the potholes and manhole covers on the road that I could.
Mojave was a harsher ride. A much, much harsher ride. I was able to feel every bump, every imperfection.
When I went to the overland it felt like I was driving on a cloud in comparison.

They had the same packages besides the overland having LED lights and the Mojave having leather seats. Tire pressure was at 40psi on both. Mojave had the AT tires, Overland had the all season.

I would be interested to see if overland tires on the mojave would do any better but realistically the difference was so obvious that I can't see it making that much of a difference.

Mojave was a worse/harsher ride than my diesel wrangler which I thought would have stiffer springs and heavier duty shocks(though my wrangler has less aggressive tires).

Now, aside from the ride the Mojave really feels like it sits up higher and has better sight lines. My wife keeps telling me an extra inch would make a world of difference and now I realize she was talking about a lifted jeep this whole time!
The roll in turns was about the same but the Mojave did feel a little more stiff. The tires being overinflated obviously caused issues there, and the overland did feel a bit more squishy in the turns but they both felt good.
" My wife keeps telling me an extra inch would make a world of difference and now I realize she was talking about a lifted jeep this whole time!"

I'm looking at a Mojave in "Earl" pretty loaded and a High Altitude so was looking at this thread enjoying your post and glossed over and as I got to the end, it struck me... "My wife keeps telling me an extra inch would make a world of difference and now I realize she was talking about a lifted jeep this whole time!" And I had to laugh, you just snuck it in and it fit the narrative... I'm still chuckling.