Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
There are multiple ways for an engine to produce the power/torque necessary, a large-capacity engine spinning at a slower speed or a smaller-capacity engine spinning at a higher speed. I'll just point out here that someone could make a similar post and ask similar questions about a diesel and say something about it how it doesn't rev to 6000 rpm and they are concerned it won't be able to do whatever because it doesn't rev high enough.

As long as it isn't having trouble maintaining 70 with the pedal all the way down, what exactly is the concern?
Are you going to be pulling a trailer or something? The only real complaints I've seen from people about lack of power are either people who have swapped on big tires and haven't changed their gears and reprogrammed their ECU, or people pulling large trailers (actually, usually people doing both).
The thing about these forums is you never really know much about who you are responding to or how much they may know. I have a ton of experience with big motors, small ones, turbo and supercharged ones, all three brand-name diesel and foreign stuff too. I am not asking about spinning a diesel to 6000 rpm. I am trying to focus on the V6, its lack of power, and driving heavy at altitude. For those who have experience with those conditions, opinions are appreciated. Some have already weighed in.

Looking at your sentence, "As long as it isn't having trouble maintaining 70 with the pedal all the way down, what exactly is the concern?" It seems you are suggesting if the vehicle maintains 70mph with the pedal to the floor, you should be satisfied. I can only imagine I am misreading that. I am sure you did not mean it that way...

The English language...Seems to be a barrier to effective communication. I'll try again, and not trying to be a smart a$$ here.

I believe the V6 is a poor choice and leaves the JT wanting. It is slow to accelerate and gets even more sluggish when loaded.

With that in mind:
I will be driving a rig loaded for some mild overlanding on the alpine loop and similar trails, so in and around 10,000 feet. The motor will make far less horsepower at altitude than at sea level and at 959MSL where I live the thing is a dog IMO.

So, I know I am in for a struggle on paved roads in and around the continental divide. Again, I am simply asking for opinions from folks who have done this with the V6 gas engine. And if there are any notes, cautions, or warnings associated with this undertaking.

The propensity of you seems to think I will be OK with the JT as is, so that is good news.
Now, later on, I will set up this little jeep with a proper motor and be done with it.

Oh, and a trailer?
Well, I would have taken one but there is no way I would pull an extra quart of milk with a vehicle with such a poor power/weight ratio. I have an off-road camper that can take anything the JT can get through, but it will be staying home this time.

And, I think it is time to put this discussion to bed.
Sponsored

Silverator

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music
And, I think it is time to put this discussion to bed.
Indeed. Based on your comments, I'd make a goodly wager that you're not going to be happy. Others might be OK with it, but you are not. Accept it now, or be cussing the entire trip. đź‘Ť Either way, I hope you have fun. Moab is a blast.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Indeed. Based on your comments, I'd make a goodly wager that you're not going to be happy. Others might be OK with it, but you are not. Accept it now, or be cussing the entire trip. đź‘Ť Either way, I hope you have fun. Moab is a blast.
Thank you

I think I'll just accept it for what it is.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Post operations review: In a few words, Surprisingly, it all went quite well!
The trip we just completed started with a 6+ hour drive at 63, then 65, then 68mph from Kentucky to Ashville where we toured the Biltmore estate. We had adequate power for the most part, and the mileage varied between 15.5 to 17.2.
The next leg was from Ashville to vcty Savannah then thereabouts for a week. That went well too, no worries, although mileage slipped to 15 with all the stop-and-go slow driving.
The next leg was from Savanah up to near Mount Pisgah in the forest where we camped and wheeled for a few more days.
The Jeep showed its colors there with great slow and at-speed dirt road/trail riding. We had it all the way up to 4,900 ft on dirt and later took a drive over to Mount Mitchell at 6,600 for some hiking. The jeep ran very well on the Blue Ridge Parkway. No real power issues, nor brake fade after going downhill for 5+ miles at a time.
We carried all the stuff two people would need to camp and vacation along with my FishBone rack and IKamper Skycamp.
The final leg home netted us another 17+ mpg at 68-72 mph with most down at the lower number.
So, I am surprised to say, the heavy gladiator did just fine with the wee-wittle 6 cyl engine.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You were right next to us in Asheville. I’m glad your rig suited you.

BTW, we did the Alpine Loop in a fully outfitted overlanding rig (RTT, Fridge, drawer setup, extra battery etc) and had no problem operating over 11,000 feet. Keep in mind you’re not driving at 75 mph.
Jeep Gladiator Overlanding trip, looking for suggestions F3873BCC-3730-48BF-AA29-D3AFB20F4503

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You were right next to us in Asheville. I’m glad your rig suited you.

BTW, we did the Alpine Loop in a fully outfitted overlanding rig (RTT, Fridge, drawer setup, extra battery etc) and had no problem operating over 11,000 feet. Keep in mind you’re not driving at 75 mph.
Jeep Gladiator Overlanding trip, looking for suggestions F3873BCC-3730-48BF-AA29-D3AFB20F4503
That is great to hear!
So allow me to pick your brain. Looks like we will be in Silverton around the 29th of September. So, I'm thinking early snow and needing aux heating for the tent...Any suggestions/intel??

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You can definitely run into weather in Silverton just about any time of the year. We camped at Little Molas Lake for one night near there and it started sleeting…the temp was about 30 degrees…this was in September as well.

As far as heaters go we usually don’t use one but prefer to just throw on a down comforter over our sleeping bag and if necessary wear a knit hat. That has worked well for us.

Here’s a picture of Little Molas Lake before the sleet. It is at about 11,000 feet.
Jeep Gladiator Overlanding trip, looking for suggestions IMG_4517
Sponsored