Sponsored

Paint blown off with pressure washer

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I guess Jeeps and pressure washers doing go hand in hand. FIRST wash today and about a 1.5" section of paint just blew off the passenger fender. I was so amazed I could not even be angry. I have never seen such a thing. Is there any way to get the fender painted through warranty do you guys think?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
You should definitely try!

I assume you weren’t using the 15 degree tip at 3000 psi two inches from the paint.

OP
OP
LoJac963

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should definitely try!

I assume you weren’t using the 15 degree tip at 3000 psi two inches from the paint.
No sir, I would never go that route. I was just rinsing with soft water for the final rinse. There was a small defect in the paint so I got a little closer and game over.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
That sucks and definitely a defect. I blast mine regularly and also have painted fenders with no issues (so far).

OP
OP
LoJac963

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sucks and definitely a defect. I blast mine regularly and also have painted fenders with no issues (so far).
How do you think I should go about heading to the dealership to get it covered? I have a feeling the second I mention pressure washer the answer will be DENIED....

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You were washing the truck with a spray nozzle on your hose and the paint came off. I know pressure washers have specific nozzles but people are going to focus on "pressure washer" and ignore anything else reasonable in what you are saying.

OP
OP
LoJac963

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You were washing the truck with a spray nozzle on your hose and the paint came off. I know pressure washers have specific nozzles but people are going to focus on "pressure washer" and ignore anything else reasonable in what you are saying.
The problem with that is the way the paint looks now, literally like I had a red tip and went to work. The paint let loose then the spray of the washer just kept zipping the paint off before I could let the trigger go.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Man remember the paints being delayed over the summer because they said they were having trouble with the formulas sticking to the plastic pieces? Guess they weren't lying. This was a fender flare I take it and not the actual fender?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
The problem with that is the way the paint looks now, literally like I had a red tip and went to work. The paint let loose then the spray of the washer just kept zipping the paint off before I could let the trigger go.
True, but that is also how paint with an adherence problem looks. Can you catch an edge where the paint Is missing and flick additional paint off with your finger nail?

Also, if one is bad the others may be also. I would use that as reinforcement of your position as they may only repaint the damaged paint, but you then have a record for the future in case the other fenders fail at some point.

And yes, it happened when you were rinsing the truck with a hose.

Deleted member 24880

pressure washer or not paint should not peel off on a new vehicle, plain and simple. Tell them you were washing it when it came off and want it fixed under warranty period!

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Honestly this doesn't surprise me in the slightest because I think Jeep is having a paint adherence issue on these trucks... I drilled out the holes for a JCR molle panel over the weekend and I've never seen modern automotive paint crack and chip off around the edges down to bare metal like that before... seems Jeep is prioritizing hardness on this paint to keep off scratches but that lack of ductility can cause things like massive flakes coming off.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Car washes usually have pressure washers too. It could have as easily happened at the car wash.

OP
OP
LoJac963

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to stop by my local dealership today. They don't have a bodyshop so it will be interesting. I really appreciate all your input!

OP
OP
LoJac963

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep collision center is submitting it to warranty. Said I will know within a week if approved or not.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
If warranty doesn’t cover it....and I would be SHOCKED....submit an insurance claim and simply say you damaged it washing it with a pressure nozzle. It’s not collision...should be comprehensive. Insurance covers stupidity all the time.
Sponsored