First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 Jaguar XKR, 1962 Nova
Occupation
VP of Sales - Data Centers
Hello all: New here as I've been looking for a few months now and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. Curious if anyone has painted a black hardtop? I was going to go with White with a painted top, but I found one at a dealer with the soft top and hardtop, but the hardtop isn't white. Wasn't sure if the texture on a painted hardtop is the same as the texture on the black hardtop option? Apologies if this is a novice question, my first Jeep!
Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hello all: New here as I've been looking for a few months now and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. Curious if anyone has painted a black hardtop? I was going to go with White with a painted top, but I found one at a dealer with the soft top and hardtop, but the hardtop isn't white. Wasn't sure if the texture on a painted hardtop is the same as the texture on the black hardtop option? Apologies if this is a novice question, my first Jeep!
The black top has a texture to it, if you order a hardtop paint matched to your Jeep it does NOT have a texture.

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
i have seen some people get the black tops painted to match.. the shop will sand it smooth and paint it.. seems to be from 700 to 1200 bucks from what i have seen

OP
OP
JoeyJag

JoeyJag

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 Jaguar XKR, 1962 Nova
Occupation
VP of Sales - Data Centers
The black top has a texture to it, if you order a hardtop paint matched to your Jeep it does NOT have a texture.
That's exactly what I thought....appreciate it.

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
i have seen some people get the black tops painted to match.. the shop will sand it smooth and paint it.. seems to be from 700 to 1200 bucks from what i have seen
Not necessarily. I had my JK painted and they didn't smooth out the top. The concern is it may not come out even if you start sanding it. Its a whole lot of labor to get it perfectly smooth. I would not recommend sanding it as it becomes cost prohibitive and will never come out perfect.

Your options are to paint it textured, which actually looks nice if clearcoated. Or buy unpainted top and sell you black top to recover small fraction of your investment. I am thinking smooth top will be around $2500, and paint/clearcoat is another $1000-1200.
Sponsored