Painting just the sides / back of a black textured hard top

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I am in the DFW area, would you mind passing on the quote? I am looking at a white Sport with black top and would like to color match it as I want to add a camper top.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I am in the DFW area, would you mind passing on the quote? I am looking at a white Sport with black top and would like to color match it as I want to add a camper top.
It was from LRM Customs. You’re probably better off reaching out directly.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
take the top off and just tape up the window should not take $5 of paint difference on painting the whole top . the problem is prep you have to tape up most of the truck . Sanding the texture should not be a problem and its not going to mess up the glass most hoods are glass . heck i would prep it and spray it for $200 should not cost much more than that .

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
For the LRM Customs quote, was that for their Kevlar paint product? Was wondering if anyone had experience or feedback with that. Or other good DFW paint shop options for top. Have a stingray with body color fenders. Would have preferred body color top when I bought. So looking at options. Also considering a tan color top as a somewhat vintage Jeep look. Welcome any thoughts on that as well. Want to throw on some mocked up vintage red and blue Jeep wheel center cap decals on the wagon wheels.

01D31757-84F4-458B-90CD-2F9DF1ADDA48.jpeg

B99057B4-438F-48D3-9119-6FA87361A8D7.jpeg

OP
OP
Alans17

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
They do Kevlar, but I didn’t get it quoted. Sorry.

Sponsored

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
No worries. Was also wondering if anyone had experience with Kevlar paint on top and how it held up, faded, cleaned, etc.

TheJeepJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
For someone who it budget conscious but really wants a painted freedom top, what do you all think about just painting the sides and back and leaving the top and freedom panels black? I don’t know how much difference that would make on price but I would think it would be significant considering the smaller surface area. If so, then just it’s a matter of looks.

I'll have a 1.5" leveler and 33s so it won't be the tallest thing on the road, but it'll be taller than most people can see while seated in another care or while walking by. But besides that, I think it would have an intentional look to it. Could be cool.

Here's a mock-up I found of this being done on a Wrangler, except this doesn't also paint the back window portion.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/black-top-with-painted-side-windows.22909/

FWIW, the Jeep in question is Gobi.. Thoughts?
I just started doing this with my hardtop. The process has been fairly simple so far. I started by taping of the portion I do not want painted with frog tape (this will prevent any bleed under the tape). Then I sanded out the texture on the part I want painted with 400 grit sand paper just enough to smooth the surface. Then primer, paint, and clear. I bought the krylon automotive primer, Mopar touch up spray paint and Spray Max 2k clear. So far I've only gotten the freedom panels done, but it looks great. All in will cost me about $300 and a couple day's work. Let me know if you have any questions

PXL_20230702_052707447.jpg

PXL_20230702_205720589.jpg

PXL_20230702_170952688.jpg
Sponsored