Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
Hi All,

If anyone is concerned about the idling and would like to have this checked out by their dealer, please message us if you set up an appointment. We can have this documented on your behalf and offer additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Mine has this rough start up idle as well.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
See a dealer. There won't be a screw to turn or something you can do. It may also be a totally different cause in yours.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Mine is also noticeably rough after starting hot or cold once idle settles. It's also rougher idling in my driveway which has a very steep hill. I legitimately think it's related to pcv and oil blow by that some have reported. I think it sucks oil through the pcv/intake when at a steep angle.

Just a theory and it's not enough to cause problems but I betcha that's it
Just adding that they never offered me the flash before I traded mine in at 39k miles. I will say new 2022 3.6l models on the lot idle drastically better than mine. I had other issues but when I test drove the ecodiesel engine gladiator I realized just how bad the idle was on my 3.6L. That alone made me trade it in.

Not sure why the dealer never offered a re-flash on my 2020 when they looked at it. I was simply told the rough idle was normal. IT IS NOT!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was simply told the rough idle was normal. IT IS NOT!
It absolutely is not. These can idle smooth as silk. We've had multiple 3.6 engines. I realize the tune in the JT is different than others, but still - I sometimes almost get out without shutting down as it idles so smooth and quiet. The AC compressor running is just about the only vibration felt when idling in park - or even in gear for that matter.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
My '22 JTM idles smooth as silk. The Wife's '21 Charger is perfect as well. Time for a trip to your dealer.

Sponsored

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
I appreciate the response and agree to let the dealer take care of the issue. The JT is still at the dealer. I am hoping to call today. My daughter misses the "JeepJeep." Yeah, I miss the JT too. :)
What was the issue? Has it been fixed I have that issue now

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I thought I had a rough idle, turns out its the air conditioner, for whatever reason at idle when the air is on I get some incosistent vibrations but if i turn off the air everything smooths right up. I still need to get it in to the dealer to have an actual diagnosis.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I had a rough idle, turns out its the air conditioner, for whatever reason at idle when the air is on I get some incosistent vibrations but if i turn off the air everything smooths right up. I still need to get it in to the dealer to have an actual diagnosis.
Same here - belt vibrations with the added load or compressor pulses?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Same here - belt vibrations with the added load or compressor pulses?
Feels like the compressor to me, but hopefully the dealer can figure it out. Only issue is probably cant get it in til end of may as we have a busy jeeping schedule with jeep beach, mothers day, and 2 camping trips lined up back to back to back

Gelo

First Name
Gelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Accountant
What was the issue? Has it been fixed I have that issue now
Hello, the issue has been fixed. For my case, the tech told me that some 2021 vehicles needed some rewiring done to fix the issue. He said most fixes are done by a simple software fix. I got mine on December 18, 2020 but as of today, I got 2,550 miles on it. WFH and I only drop off/pick up my kids a mile away. My MPG seem to go up (to 13.4mpg) when I got it back but after a week, my mpg is now down to 12.2 MPG. I don't know if it's because of my short commute and heavy foot. I am hoping after the break-in period, my mpg will get better. It took 4 weeks to fix.

Sponsored

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
Hello, the issue has been fixed. For my case, the tech told me that some 2021 vehicles needed some rewiring done to fix the issue. He said most fixes are done by a simple software fix. I got mine on December 18, 2020 but as of today, I got 2,550 miles on it. WFH and I only drop off/pick up my kids a mile away. My MPG seem to go up (to 13.4mpg) when I got it back but after a week, my mpg is now down to 12.2 MPG. I don't know if it's because of my short commute and heavy foot. I am hoping after the break-in period, my mpg will get better. It took 4 weeks to fix.
I have a 2022 built December of 21 so I assume that software was updated. Low miles. Mine has 3000 and I got it at the end of January. It’s my daily driver though. Well good luck and hope it last many trouble free years

Gelo

First Name
Gelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Accountant
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Dctram

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
I have a 2020 with no engine mods. 2 unrelated dealers and I have been at odds and I have had to do everything to my gladiator myself. I caught both dealers in lies, one about my clutch, and the other about the emergency break. Just hit 67,000 miles and went to take off and felt the stock clutch start to go. Perfect excuse to upgrade to the centerforce clutch. I had noticed a weird vibration prior to replacing the clutch but with no check engine light being triggered in 4 years of ownership, figured nothing major. Anyone with a MT I highly recommend the clutch upgrade. Well, that weird vibration is super concerning now. Anytime you idle for more than 5 minutes it is more like a surge than a vibration now. A/C on or of doesn't matter, but any input to the accelerator it clears up. If I shift to 4 Lo and let it idle, the little bump in rpm is enough that it doesn't occur during. Soon as normal idle conditions resume the surge comes back.

nuclear Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Designer
Mine idles not too well. Pretty much feels like there's a horrible timing issue. It not only vibrates a ton, it also makes a stuttering groaning/growling noise on a cold start. If you press the brake pedal or turn the AC on it gets worse.

Dealer says they can't reproduce it but it happens every time I start it up.

I must also add that this is the second engine in my 2020 Overland. I only got the Jeep in late February early March of this year.
Sponsored