First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Do these engines idle rough? Mine does. It’s not smooth at idle like my ram 6.4 or even my wife’s JK. I thought maybe it was just me but it was one of the first things my friend noticed when he rode with me. Under 400 miles in the truck
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have only experienced rough idle when the auto/start stop engages and it starts back up, occasionally it feels like it idles rough until I take off, doesn't do it all the time and when my wife drives and turns it off it never happens.

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
Mine does. I noticed it idles at a lower RPM than my JK also.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Try 91 octane and see what happens. This engine has an 11.3:1 compression ratio and does not like 87 octane. Since I’ve switched over to 91, it purrs at idle and no longer has the low RPM stutters. I’m much happier with it’s drivability.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Try 91 octane and see what happens. This engine has an 11.3:1 compression ratio and does not like 87 octane. Since I’ve switched over to 91, it purrs at idle and no longer has the low RPM stutters. I’m much happier with it’s drivability.
I ran 91 in mine and it did better on MPGs on 87 for some reason. I ran it for a month about 10 fill ups and I almost lost a whole mpg on 91. Mine doesn't do it unless the start/stop happens and has only done it a few times, less than a handful.

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Yeah, I’m not spending an extra $.30 per gallon. I’ll take it in and let the dealer figure out why it’s not running right

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I get an occasional rough idle, but usually only when the AC is on. Sometimes I'll get it when the ESS restarts, but I usually turn that off.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Mine idles at 600rpm and is so smooth sometimes I have to look at the tachometer to make sure it's still running! Also I always disable ESS.

Sponsored

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Mine idles so smooth I think the ESS is engaged when indeed it isn't. I look at the tach to see it's running. Definitely do yourself a favor and have it checked out.

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
After reading the thread, I tried switching to 91 octane. The shudders and rough idle seem to almost be gone. Also realized the 87 near the house has ethanol in it. Wondering if ethanol was the problem all along. My MPG is also 2 MPG higher

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
After reading the thread, I tried switching to 91 octane. The shudders and rough idle seem to almost be gone. Also realized the 87 near the house has ethanol in it. Wondering if ethanol was the problem all along. My MPG is also 2 MPG higher
Where I live in Florida you can find non-ethanol gas, it is 87 octane but costs the same as premium.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I run 87 octane/10% ethanol all the time. Idle has no hiccups.