Sponsored

Performance Cost/Benefit to Accessorizing

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So as I plan on what to do to/with my Jeep, as it is my first one I am trying to learn every aspect that I can to the vehicle.

My current max payload is 1544lbs. That is without adding anything/one to it.

I added a set of rock rails. They are listed as 33lbs each, so 66lbs together
I added a rubber mat to the truck bed for extra protection. It weighs about 100lbs (90lbs but let's say 100 with the BulletLiner)
Adding a steel bumper will be 80lbs
Adding a Warren Winch will be 80lbs

So we are at about 325lbs. That leaves about 1220lbs of payload left.
If you take friends/family off-roading with you, say 4 people weighing 250lbs each. That's 1000lbs.

You are left with 200lbs of payload left for gear before you max out/exceed the payload rating.

I'm sure this can be offset by removing the doors - would save about 150lbs based upon forums and part weights listed on Quadratec for 2017 Jeep Wrangler parts. Save another 80lbs by removing the hard top. So on a nice sunny day you gain back 230lbs, offsetting MOST of the loss due to above listed accessories.Payload would be back up to 450lbs of gear with 4 occupants.

Oh and as I learned recently with my tire decisions, larger tires will add a lot of weight. I think the stock Dueler A/Ts are about 57lbs with the rims. OFFRD did a video back in June weighing them. Upgrading to 35s can almost double the weight, say 100lbs per tire/wheel. So now you have 200lbs more of unsprung weight.

I have no idea how much weight increase comes from lift kits, upgrading shocks/axles/etc.

Am I overthinking this? Do any of you give this thought when upgrading your Jeeps?
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
So as I plan on what to do to/with my Jeep, as it is my first one I am trying to learn every aspect that I can to the vehicle.

My current max payload is 1544lbs. That is without adding anything/one to it.

I added a set of rock rails. They are listed as 33lbs each, so 66lbs together
I added a rubber mat to the truck bed for extra protection. It weighs about 100lbs (90lbs but let's say 100 with the BulletLiner)
Adding a steel bumper will be 80lbs
Adding a Warren Winch will be 80lbs

So we are at about 325lbs. That leaves about 1220lbs of payload left.
If you take friends/family off-roading with you, say 4 people weighing 250lbs each. That's 1000lbs.

You are left with 200lbs of payload left for gear before you max out/exceed the payload rating.

I'm sure this can be offset by removing the doors - would save about 150lbs based upon forums and part weights listed on Quadratec for 2017 Jeep Wrangler parts. Save another 80lbs by removing the hard top. So on a nice sunny day you gain back 230lbs, offsetting MOST of the loss due to above listed accessories.

Oh and as I learned recently with my tire decisions, larger tires will add a lot of weight. I think the stock Dueler A/Ts are about 57lbs with the rims. OFFRD did a video back in June weighing them. Upgrading to 35s can almost double the weight, say 100lbs per tire/wheel. So now you have 200lbs more of unsprung weight.

I have no idea how much weight increase comes from lift kits, upgrading shocks/axles/etc.

Am I overthinking this? Do any of you give this thought when upgrading your Jeeps?
That is probably the best research I've seen looking at the weight prospectives. I think everyone should know there limits

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is probably the best research I've seen looking at the weight prospectives. I think everyone should know there limits
thank you. My only other car was a Honda Element. I never gave it much thought but guessed that the 675 max payload was in addition to 4 occupants. Stupid, I know, but at 675lbs you'd get to the payload with 4 guys weighing just 170lbs each! So my 18yr old self thought "that can't be right" The forums showed lots of people hauling 1000lbs+. Fast forward to 2017 and I'm wondering why all of a sudden I'm doing more repairs each year after hitting 150k miles (despite replacing wear-and-tear items and performing scheduled maintenance) than I have for the past 10 years combined. I'm not going to make mistakes with Gladys (my JT)

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
thank you. My only other car was a Honda Element. I never gave it much thought but guessed that the 675 max payload was in addition to 4 occupants. Stupid, I know, but at 675lbs you'd get to the payload with 4 guys weighing just 170lbs each! So my 18yr old self thought "that can't be right" The forums showed lots of people hauling 1000lbs+. Fast forward to 2017 and I'm wondering why all of a sudden I'm doing more repairs each year after hitting 150k miles (despite replacing wear-and-tear items and performing scheduled maintenance) than I have for the past 10 years combined. I'm not going to make mistakes with Gladys (my JT)
Years ago I had a little d21 Nissan 5 speed truck when I was 17 or so and I use to load that thing down to where the wheel was almost touching the wheel wells with scrap metal trying to get by between jobs. I'm surprised it held up so we'll, never knew the payload and still don't but that is a cheap truck and this is a 40+k truck so I'm doing as much research as I can before I buy next year. Originally wanted the Rubicon but I'd rather have more payload and more towing power so in the future when I want to get a light camper I can tow without worry and I can put as much gear in the back no problem. I definitely think the sport models don't get the credit they deserve in a world where almost everyone screams go Rubi or go home.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Years ago I had a little d21 Nissan 5 speed truck when I was 17 or so and I use to load that thing down to where the wheel was almost touching the wheel wells with scrap metal trying to get by between jobs. I'm surprised it held up so we'll, never knew the payload and still don't but that is a cheap truck and this is a 40+k truck so I'm doing as much research as I can before I buy next year. Originally wanted the Rubicon but I'd rather have more payload and more towing power so in the future when I want to get a light camper I can tow without worry and I can put as much gear in the back no problem. I definitely think the sport models don't get the credit they deserve in a world where almost everyone screams go Rubi or go home.
Same here. I got the Max Tow Package for that same reason. I wanted more truck than off-road Jeep. If you look at my thread on how tire size affects towing performance, there's some good info (but no concrete answers, unfortunately), you may decide to go the route I took for balancing off-road and towing performance: have 2 sets of wheels.

Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Same here. I got the Max Tow Package for that same reason. I wanted more truck than off-road Jeep. If you look at my thread on how tire size affects towing performance, there's some good info (but no concrete answers, unfortunately), you may decide to go the route I took for balancing off-road and towing performance: have 2 sets of wheels.
Agreed. The sport or sport s is way more than capable to do any offroading I want to do so I'd rather have the full truck capability so I'll pass on the Rubi. Plus the Rubi is way out of my budget so I saved myself from wanting to get something I can't afford:LOL:

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
I have no direct knowledge of this, but I wouldn't think heavier wheels/tires would count against your practical payload capacity. Unsprung weight is carried by direct contact with the ground and not your suspension.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no direct knowledge of this, but I wouldn't think heavier wheels/tires would count against your practical payload capacity. Unsprung weight is carried by direct contact with the ground and not your suspension.
My understanding is unsprung weight increases the work the engine has to do in moving the vehicle, thereby affecting towing, maybe not payload

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Once those things are moving, and they are ROLLING, not being carried, they won't impact payload. Payload is what the springs, axles, bearings, tires, that sort of thing, can support.
Sponsored