Sponsored

Peter's Mills Run - Late December? Early January?

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Fun day today got up to 10 including a JL and two Tacomas that joined us at the Liberty gas station. I was the only JT but I led the ride.

Will probably go again next weekend.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Sorry I missed it today, but I have a question for Peter's Mill veterans: Is it better to start on the north end of the trail and go south, or the south end and go north?
If you have never been there I recommend going North to South.

The most challenging part of the trail is on the south end, the last 2 miles. If you start with that the rest is underwhelming.

But most people do it south to north.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Part of our group split off and did trails 474 to 457 which splits off near AW-8 and ties back in with the main trail between markers AW-4 and AW-3.

Much more technical from what I heard.

There were OHV signs on the trees, but the maps show these to be ATV trails, so proceed with caution.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
I'm going again Saturday 12/18/21.

We will meet at 9 am at the Woodstock, VA Liberty/7-11 (340 W Reservoir Road).

We will get our day passes/maps there and check in to the BOH app for the trail tag.

Weather looks like 60's and rain.

Basic information and a map are here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gwj/recarea/?recid=73965, yellow trail 433 is Peters Mill. Some maps show it as Powell Mountain Road, same road.

onX trail information: https://webmap.onxmaps.com/offroad/map/query/38.83410,-78.48193,10.78/overview?mode=dirt

If you don't have the Badge of Honor app already, follow the App link here: https://www.jeep.com/badge-of-honor.html

Moose95

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland; 2018 Colorado Z71
So I have a noob question: I always hear people say that you shouldn't go on a trail alone. Does this mean you should have at least two vehicles, or two people IN the vehicle? For what's it's worth, I am thinking about Peter's Mill Run, not something super technical. Unfortunately, I am booked up this weekend so can't make it when JoseQ is going (but thank you for the links and info, Jose!).

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Interesting question.

I think people mean 2 vehicles. In case of an issue you have a way out.

What I have done is joined up with other people on the trail. People that I have never met before. We agree to hit the trail together. If they don't have a radio I let them borrow my spare one.

Similar to the Slug commuting system in Nova.

Depends on your tolerance for risk. But I am off roading a new vehicle with a loan and a warranty so I would say my risk tolerance is not low.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
So I have a noob question: I always hear people say that you shouldn't go on a trail alone. Does this mean you should have at least two vehicles, or two people IN the vehicle? For what's it's worth, I am thinking about Peter's Mill Run, not something super technical. Unfortunately, I am booked up this weekend so can't make it when JoseQ is going (but thank you for the links and info, Jose!).
Expanding on JoseQ’s comment. I highly recommend always traveling with another vehicle, trail comms (GMRS or CB, handheld or permanent), recovery gear (tow rope at a minimum), and a solid first aid kit.

As an example, this last summer resulted in towing a fellow member off of Peter’s Mill trail because of a small boulder tore a transmission cooling line. He was towed to the north parking lot and taken home by another member.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Expanding on JoseQ’s comment. I highly recommend always traveling with another vehicle, trail comms (GMRS or CB, handheld or permanent), recovery gear (tow rope at a minimum), and a solid first aid kit.

As an example, this last summer resulted in towing a fellow member off of Peter’s Mill trail because of a small boulder tore a transmission cooling line. He was towed to the north parking lot and taken home by another member.
How do you like the JTRD so far?

Last edited:

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Another great day on the trail. Did Taskers Gap (3 miles in 3 miles out) then Peters Mill South to North (7 miles).

1 JT and 4 JK's.

Jeep Gladiator Peter's Mills Run - Late December? Early January? 20211218_150622

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
LOVE the George Washington National Forest. A number of years ago me and some friends from Woodstock, VA rode our motorcycles through there. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!!
Sponsored