Sponsored

Pic Request!!! Closeup of "built in 2023" 2023 Gladiator hardtop rear window perimeter

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand they have to break it to take it out.
Never before heard of a glass that couldn't be taken out without breaking it if they have the education and right tools.
There are special tools for removing (cutting) the urethane. It would appear there's enough of a gap to get said tool in there and cut the urethane.

My sun roof (in my car) is another matter. The sun roof frame is sealed directly to the roof, 0 gap, none at all. It would literally take repainting the entire roof and doing body work to fix the damage if I ever need to get it out, but - these have that gap between glass and roof body.

Are we running into lazy or untrained installers? Or, could Jeep really have done such a stupid thing? Naw, there's a gap in there. so you can likely get the special tools in there.

I'm guessing they are just saving time since they get new glass to put in anyway......

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/category/auto-glass-removal-tools/

Took about half an hour to remove the rear glass from my 70 and that was just butyl.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
It's the glass companies doing it. Thanks for the help clearing this up. Not a new part.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's the glass companies doing it. Thanks for the help clearing this up. Not a new part.
My experience with glass companies is NOT good. it's why I'll never take a car of mine (classic car that is) to a glass shop. I took my SX4 in before I painted it for new glass. It had partial body prep done and looked like heck. I asked - can you guys do butyl? Yeah, sure, no problem.
I go back to get the car and there's black urethane squeezed into the cabin, all over the interior trim (not easy to find) and the trim outside didn't fit quite right. I took it home to pull the trim back off to do more prep for painting and wasn't able to get the trim off.
I called 'em on it - they didn't have the right clips and the trim didn't want to stay on so they GLUED it on with urethane. I nearly had to destroy the trim to get it back off. Worse, they had put the spacer blocks in the bottom in the wrong places so instead of the blocks fitting into the factory notches in the lower trim, they CUT the trim to go around their mis-placed blocks, leaving obvious stress marks on the outside of the stainless trim.
I wonder why they didn't pull off and save the NEW CLIPS I had installed only weeks earlier?
Morons.
Not only did they f-up the trim, cutting it and gluing it in, they had urethane all over the interior trim, and there was no way to get new clips back on the clip studs in the windshield channel without spending most of a day digging their urethane out from around the glass to expose the clip studs to install new clips.
The glass doesn't sit right in the channel so the trim doesn't fit perfectly either. I'd have made them do it over but decided if they fkd it up that bad the first time, they weren't going to come within a block of that car again.
Next time, I do it myself like I have done my other cars.