Sponsored

Picked up a new Grand Cherokee L Thursday and Already been in Service twice.

OP
OP
PunknJLBlackJT

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon and 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Estimator for Pharma facilities
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t comment on your issues, but if this is your current garage, you need to change your name. “PunknJLBlackJT” doesn’t work anymore.
Yea I cant figure out how to change it. When I joined here I had just ordered a black JT and my wife had a Punkn JL. Ended up buying a Gator JT off the lot and trading the JL after having a third kid.
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Never buy a first year vehicle. If you can't help it, try buying one that is in its 7th or so month of production. Typically the 6th month mark is when minor production changes will occur if necessary. General advice...

The new Bronco has SOOOOO many problems. I lurk the forum there and it makes me really happy that I canceled mine.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
We looked at a GCL Overland last weekend. Well thought out interior and not bad exterior. It seems a little stretched (we know it is) and we are used to the 2011 GC Overland length. Our idea is that if we trade we would get the L for the added interior and 3 row option.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think a majority of the vehicles desogn and produced starting 2019 are the wild wild qest electronically. My guess is they cannot find the talent and they have given up on managing the talent and no one is checking the work. I tune many late models and the amount of undocumented proliferation is astounding. Things you used to take for granted as a solid foundation to work off of, are no longer the case. Late model builds are going to be tuff. The latest generation Camaros can have a different VE strategy in the same model year car!!!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think a majority of the vehicles desogn and produced starting 2019 are the wild wild qest electronically. My guess is they cannot find the talent and they have given up on managing the talent and no one is checking the work. I tune many late models and the amount of undocumented proliferation is astounding. Things you used to take for granted as a solid foundation to work off of, are no longer the case. Late model builds are going to be tuff. The latest generation Camaros can have a different VE strategy in the same model year car!!!
That sort of thing goes back decades. I recall working with OS2 and the code I'd find in the video and other drivers, WOW. It was crazy. Stuff that should have been removed after testing but never was, stuff put in by angry coders. Some of the stuff I've read inside other drivers and software was also "concerning", but I recall the stuff buried in the video drivers for OS2 most of all. It was almost like they weren't really sure what to do sometimes.
I also analyzed computer viruses and read the boot strap loader of one of the early boot viruses - written in the virus code was "fxxxings go to Corrine".
I worked with a guy for a few years who had been a professor of comp sci. He wanted a break from teaching so went into networking, support and programming for Compressor Controls. He told of how companies like IBM and Diablo and others wanted printer drivers for various software. He'd get a deadline of maybe a week or so and literally had to close himself off in a small room with cases of Mountain Dew and Snickers bars until he was done. Very little testing due to the extreme deadlines and pressure. He worked there for a few years and then quit - and went back to teaching comp sci at college. I recall one of his favorite sayings "the good thing about standards in computers is that there are so many to choose from".
You have to be a bit crazy to write code and deal with electronics (uh, sorry, Dave)

Then when I was put in charge of designing the computer interfaces for CCC's new Series IV turbo-control systems I selected the system board from Young Microsystems in CA. They were founded by Korean engineers who came to the U.S. I had occasion to talk to their head guy several times and once we were waiting for some info and just started chatting in general........we talked of pay and benefits and that sort of thing and he said they had good insurance with excellent mental health care coverage and - that was the most frequently used part of their benefits - mental health coverage and they lost engineers over mental health more than any other reason due to the extreme pressure. You needed to beat the competition out with a product - and even hours counted. If you were working against another company in releasing a computer system and you came out days or hours before the other guy, you had a heck of a leg up so the pressure was intense.
I have to imagine that some of that translates to vehicles today. Have it on my desk by 3pm today (and it's currently 2:30)
Sponsored