PLEASE HELP -- Noise in rear?

Turkeeslapper

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Trying to find an answer, and cannot. But I am hearing a weird noise, similar to a squeegee or maybe a dry erase marker on a whiteboard. I have a 21 Sport with 5000 miles, stock suspension with 305/70r17 on the stock wheels. I mostly hear the noise at slow speeds. It is quite annoying, but can't figure out what it is!

Please help!!!
Sponsored

RCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I just started hearing the same type of noise. I have a 2021 Sport S with 5200 miles.

Watching this sub for responses...

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Noises can be very difficult to identify & isolate.

So, it is a 'rubbery' type noise? Is it a consistent noise or only over bumps? What speed? Does it change with road speed? Does it change if the brakes are applied? Does it change if you lightly apply the parking brake? Lots of questions to be answered.

You may want to try some basic stuff first - make sure the spare is tight, check the exhaust hangers, also see if the rear seat position affects the noise. Bounce the suspension and see if it is the rear sway bar bushings.

Sponsored

RCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I took my Gladiator in for the first oil change and I asked them to check the spare to ensure that it was tight. After the service was complete, they stated that the spare was not loose and they were not able to tighten it any tighter. I heard the squeaking noise as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot.

I tend to hear it at slower speeds whether I'm turning or not. It can also be heard while driving straight in a parking lot. It could occur at higher speeds, but I am not able to hear it over the wind noise and hum from the tires.

OP
OP

Turkeeslapper

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Got under the truck last night. Spare is as tight as can be. While under there, I was pushing around and tried to wiggle the exhaust, nothing...and even pushed up and sideways on the frame. The sound was intermittent but appeared to be coming from the shocks/springs.

Next step I am bringing it into the dealership. No way after 5000 miles a brand new truck should be squeaking like this...ANNOYED!

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
...and even pushed up and sideways on the frame. The sound was intermittent but appeared to be coming from the shocks/springs.
The good thing is that you were able to get it to make the noise. That means the dealer should also hear it when on the lift. I'm betting a sway bar bushing. I know that my JK requires periodic greasing of the rear sway bar bushings for some reason.

Jcw7897

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
My 2021 Overland has a similar sound. Had the dealer torque everything back down but it’s still making the saMe noise. It’s irritating and annoying. I notice it when coming to a stop. Sounds like maybe shocks or struts are bad. Any help @JeepCares?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Turkeeslapper

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I've noticed the noise is MUCH worse when it rains or the truck is wet. I am so aggravated, it is never reproducible at my dealership

bull4077

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland Granite
I just heard the same noise. Same thing. When wet, it clunks ever time I apply the brake and the rear of the truck shifts. I believe I narrowed it to the shock on the driver side.

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
It's probably just a bushing somewhere or shocks. It happens with rubber and movement.

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
There was a similar thread on here a while ago and someone said the noise is the exhaust hangers. That other thread said to try some Grease on the rubber mounts.

redwater7

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2017 JK
Occupation
Journeyman Tool Maker
I had a clunk in the rear end when turning. Took a go pro video and went to the dealer and showed them. They pulled the diff cover off and it was full of metal shavings.
Sponsored