Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
don't keep it in the house. it has a funk to it
???

A. Why would one keep PS fluid in the house (one could keep it in a basement, I suppose)
B. In a bottle, no smell at all.

ROCK MONKEY

First Name
SCOTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR
Occupation
TRUCK PARTS
i live in a house that has no basement and no garage. the p/s fluid i got from the dealer stank.
put it in a plastic bag and still smelled it.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
i live in a house that has no basement and no garage. the p/s fluid i got from the dealer stank.
put it in a plastic bag and still smelled it.
What is the mopar # on it? That is strange that it would smell like that.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that'll work LOL
Frankly, I don't think the fluid has a "smell" to it other than what ordinary fluids from the past have, but then, as a semi-science person, I also acknowledge that some people have a more sensitive sniffer than others. Some people are born bloodhounds, others can eat their lunch on a 2 day old cow carcass before loading it into the rendering truck and never be bothered by it (I knew that fellow - he has almost no sense of smell, but I could have smelled it a mile away. )

This topic aside - I can appreciate your packaging there as it ensures the label stays intact over time, as well as helping to minimize and possible leakage or loss of the lighter parts should the top not be well sealed. I've got bottles on the shelf where the outside of the bottle has a slightly oily feel to it - so you may be onto something.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. Youā€™re going to make me go smell my bottle arenā€™t you. šŸ˜‘I think @ShadowsPapa should do it first. If anyone can sniff out something not right, itā€™s him.
I'm so very used to the various odors of chemicals, oils, lubes, etc. from years of that sort of work (back when no one cared) there were no A.I.R. pumps, no converters in the exhaust, and gas smells were to be expected because the carburetor vents and fuel tanks were vented open to the air.
I used to literally set up my lawn chair between my antique engines at shows and take a nap, falling asleep to the rhythmic sounds of the engines, and the smell of burning oil and gas.
How I don't have cancer is beyond me, arcing asbestos brake linings fitting them to the drums, machining drums and rotors of all types and ages.
Then there's the years of applying RoundUp, 2,4D, Atrazine, and other stuff.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I got mine here (still Amazon). It's cheaper. The title is incorrect. It says AA, but the bottle you receive is AB. I can confirm because I bought this October of 2020. I still have the bottle. It was only $20.00 back then.

Chrysler Genuine (68088485AA) Power Steering Fluid https://a.co/d/gm3J1c5

Last edited:

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I got mine here (still Amazon). It's cheaper. The title is incorrect. It says AA, but the bottle you receive is AB. I can confirm because I bought this October of 2020. I still have the bottle. It was only $20.00 back then.

Chrysler Genuine (68088485AA) Power Steering Fluid https://a.co/d/gm3J1c5
AB would supersede the AA. AA is older.

Sponsored

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 1991 Toyota Hilux
Occupation
Electrician
Hate to open this up again lol but is this fluid green? Dealer topped mine off and it looks greenish.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Sort of...........

Jeep Gladiator Power steering fluid question 1706071393571
Thanks. A younger kid came out with a bottle and before he poured I asked a familiar guy if it was the right one for my truck. The more experienced guy told him, ā€œNo, this one takes the green one.ā€ I shined a light on the fluid itself before they put it in and it did look green. On the drive home I couldnā€™t help but wonder if they had put the correct fluid when I got the TSB done a while back. So I wanted to make sure the green was correct since thatā€™s whats been in since the TSB. I just donā€™t trust these dealer mechanics. Theyā€™ve replace both my heads in the past 3 months. Apparently both warped at 40k. 1st time they caused a leak at my timing cover. Left a bunch of wiring clips broken. With this second head just replaced, Iā€™m going to have to watch everything like a hawk for a bit. So far only a foam insert under hood missing that I want replaced smh.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. A younger kid came out with a bottle and before he poured I asked a familiar guy if it was the right one for my truck. The more experienced guy told him, ā€œNo, this one takes the green one.ā€ I shined a light on the fluid itself before they put it in and it did look green. On the drive home I couldnā€™t help but wonder if they had put the correct fluid when I got the TSB done a while back. So I wanted to make sure the green was correct since thatā€™s whats been in since the TSB. I just donā€™t trust these dealer mechanics. Theyā€™ve replace both my heads in the past 3 months. Apparently both warped at 40k. 1st time they caused a leak at my timing cover. Left a bunch of wiring clips broken. With this second head just replaced, Iā€™m going to have to watch everything like a hawk for a bit. So far only a foam insert under hood missing that I want replaced smh.
Ouch - you've had some bad luck.
Around here, they know how often we've bought Jeeps and at least once in a while they try hard to make it right. They can't ride herd over every single person in the shop or catch some new guy screwing up, but........
My sales guy called this morning - exactly one year after my wife bought her JLU from them through him. He asked how things were going and if all was well after "the transmission issues of last year". He said - any problem at all, contact him and he'd see it was made right.
He should - he had some nice paychecks thanks to us.
2018 WK2
2020 JT (later traded for 2022)
2022 JT
2023 JLU Rubicon 4xe

4 Jeeps inside of 5 years - the guy should come out and wash all the winter salt off of them for us.

You definitely want to be sure only the correct types of fluids are used - at least meeting MOPAR specs. These are EHPS - ElectroHydraulic Power Steering. It's an electric pump and things have come a long ways from the days of using Dexron ATF in the power steering pump!

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Ouch - you've had some bad luck.
Around here, they know how often we've bought Jeeps and at least once in a while they try hard to make it right. They can't ride herd over every single person in the shop or catch some new guy screwing up, but........
My sales guy called this morning - exactly one year after my wife bought her JLU from them through him. He asked how things were going and if all was well after "the transmission issues of last year". He said - any problem at all, contact him and he'd see it was made right.
He should - he had some nice paychecks thanks to us.
2018 WK2
2020 JT (later traded for 2022)
2022 JT
2023 JLU Rubicon 4xe

4 Jeeps inside of 5 years - the guy should come out and wash all the winter salt off of them for us.

You definitely want to be sure only the correct types of fluids are used - at least meeting MOPAR specs. These are EHPS - ElectroHydraulic Power Steering. It's an electric pump and things have come a long ways from the days of using Dexron ATF in the power steering pump!
Awesome to hear a follow up from dealer about that. Well deserved, thatā€™s a lot of coins youā€™ve spent with them. Yes definitely anal about the fluids going in, I just didnā€™t have the chance to google it on the spot. My service advisor did apologize to me sincerely for having to go back 3 times so far since Oct. 40k trouble free miles until this burning coolant smell started. The advisor has done his best to make it right and itā€™s all warranty work. He canā€™t control his mechanics work tho unfortunately. I just feel so uneasy about their work now after the leaks and clips they left the first time. He did say the shop foreman was going to oversee my jeeps work this time around. Iā€™ve built a relationship with service at least, I feel theyā€™ll take care of my concerns. Crossing fingers there wonā€™t be any, just got it back today.
Sponsored