First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
This is one of the most innovative executions, yet, really well done!

I also love the seats, although now I can’t let go of the Deadpool reference.
Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
How are you getting the fenders painted? What's it costing you?

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
How are you getting the fenders painted? What's it costing you?
I will be doing the work myself. I have a good deal of experience with automotive painting. I will be removing the fenders and smoothing them up. I think taking them off for refinishing will be easier than masking them off on the vehicle.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I will be doing the work myself. I have a good deal of experience with automotive painting. I will be removing the fenders and smoothing them up. I think taking them off for refinishing will be easier than masking them off on the vehicle.
I see. I just don't have a compressor, spray gun, mask ECT... All the equipment for one job that may add up or be 5/8th the cost of a shop to do it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I like your Jeep and what you’ve done to it, so don’t take this as criticism.

I had a few thoughts on what I would do to really complete that retro look. Firstly, imo, I think the non painted fenders is more of a retro look can the factory fenders painted. If you really wanted to nail the retro look and have them painted, then a steel flatty fender could have a super cool retro look. Here’s the part of my opinion that you probably won’t like. I don’t think your front bumper choice has a retro look at all. I definitely agree that it needs steel bumpers for the look, but it needs a bumper with much simpler lines. I’d have to do some searching, I can’t think of anything available that I’ve seen with a good retro look. It might have to be fabricated, but the old school metal bumpers like you used to see on classic Broncos and stuff could look awesome.

My two cents, please don’t take offense. I like your Jeep and the direction that you are going, or I wouldn't have put this much thought into it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like your Jeep and what you’ve done to it, so don’t take this as criticism.

I had a few thoughts on what I would do to really complete that retro look. Firstly, imo, I think the non painted fenders is more of a retro look can the factory fenders painted. If you really wanted to nail the retro look and have them painted, then a steel flatty fender could have a super cool retro look. Here’s the part of my opinion that you probably won’t like. I don’t think your front bumper choice has a retro look at all. I definitely agree that it needs steel bumpers for the look, but it needs a bumper with much simpler lines. I’d have to do some searching, I can’t think of anything available that I’ve seen with a good retro look. It might have to be fabricated, but the old school metal bumpers like you used to see on classic Broncos and stuff could look awesome.

My two cents, please don’t take offense. I like your Jeep and the direction that you are going, or I wouldn't have put this much thought into it.
No offense taken. Actually the bumper was the one thing I looked a long time for and could not come up with anything I liked so the installed one is temporary until I can fab up something else. I looked for something thinner but I need the winch mount. Even considered chroming the damn thing. Will probable wind up building one out of half round sections of aluminum pipe...don't know yet.

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
after taking a week of vacation I got most of the major mods done.

A little backstory.
In 2012 Jeep had a concept vehicle called the J12 with the old 1960's grille. I saw this rig and decided then when Jeep made it I would have one. I was somewhat disappointed when they built the new gladiator with a standard jeep grille. Not that there is anything wrong with it...I just wanted the older style.

Then I found a company (Innovative Auto Creations) that makes a conversion for the gladiator. I bought the new gladiator with this planned.
Jeep Gladiator Project retro phase two and three complete, she's coming together Jeep-J12

This is the concept truck I based my build from.

I removed and painted the fender flares body color but departed from the factory style and took the red all the way to the lip.

The top was two toned white and red for a bit more vintage appeal and made had the added benefit of making the inside of the truck way cooler parked in the hot sun.

The new grill panel has DRL's and turn signals so I blinded off the originals with matching vinyl wrap and also wrapped the rear lower bed trim too. The DRL's supplied with the front end will be coming out and will be replaced with amber fog lights when they arrive.

The hood and front required very little fitting and finishing. A welcome change from a lot of fiberglass parts I have worked with in the past. Very high quality.

I had originally planned on build a new grill from aluminum as the unit supplied was only a black screen. I decided to paint it like the old gladiator grilles for the time being but it turned out so well I may just leave it as is.

While all this was going on I also added the aux switches and a Redarc brake controller...Hell, no fun in watching paint dry.

Jeep Gladiator Project retro phase two and three complete, she's coming together IMG_0522
Jeep Gladiator Project retro phase two and three complete, she's coming together IMG_0523

My buddy came up with the term Retro-Mod to describe it. Taking a brand new vehicle that has not even had its first oil change and made it look fifty years old.
Jeep Gladiator Project retro phase two and three complete, she's coming together IMG_0524
Jeep Gladiator Project retro phase two and three complete, she's coming together IMG_0525

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Wow that looks great. I think a chrome front bumper would complete the look.

Does that grill cover the engine air intake that's on the left of the stock grill?

OP
OP
Retro Bait

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that looks great. I think a chrome front bumper would complete the look.

Does that grill cover the engine air intake that's on the left of the stock grill?
The grill leaves a pretty good gap away from the air intake.
The front bumper I will probably make up out of aluminum this winter...then polish the bejezus out of it

Sponsored

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
That my friend is an awesome example of retro. Thank you for the build pictures

Jason Oliver

Threads