Sponsored

Question about spare tire and speedo calibration when getting bigger tires

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey all,

First question: When most of you upgrade wheels and/or get bigger tires, what do you do with the spare? I'd imagine if you have a 31" spare and get 35" tires, the spare is essentially useless at that point? Do you get a tire of equivalent height for the spare (width would probably still be different if you changed wheels)? Or do you usually buy a 5th wheel/tire with your set and just replace the spare altogether?

Second Question: I understand that bigger tires affect the calibration of the speedometer. Can the dealer make this adjustment so that it is calibrated correctly? Is there any warranty issues? Are there any legality issues with calibrating it with an aftermarket device, also are there any legality issues with NOT calibrating it? The reason I wonder is I'm assuming a non-accurate speedometer would affect odometer mileage which I could imagine might be an issue when selling the vehicle? I also just wonder if messing with it ourselves is an issue for the same reason, even if our intent is to correctly calibrate it.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
1.) Yes, most guys get a matching height spare tire. Width doesn’t really matter as much, if you only need it to limp home or get you to a tire shop.

2.) Yes, the dess as per should be able to recalibrate your speedometer for free. Or, you can get a Tazer JL Mini, and be able to adjust all sorts of things anytime you want, by yourself, including tire size, and TPMS sensors and settings.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
1.) Yes, most guys get a matching height spare tire. Width doesn’t really matter as much, if you only need it to limp home or get you to a tire shop.

2.) Yes, the dess as per should be able to recalibrate your speedometer for free. Or, you can get a Tazer JL Mini, and be able to adjust all sorts of things anytime you want, by yourself, including tire size, and TPMS sensors and settings.
Dealers usually charge up to an hour of labor to reprogram for tire size, if they will do it at all. The Tazer is one of the most common programmers, but there are less expensive alternatives if you don’t need all of the functions of the Tazer.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers usually charge up to an hour of labor to reprogram for tire size, if they will do it at all. The Tazer is one of the most common programmers, but there are less expensive alternatives if you don’t need all of the functions of the Tazer.
There's no way I'd pay a dealer to plug into the OBD port for a whopping 30 seconds. I'd rather buy something for $329 instead of paying the dealer 1 penny...But that's just me.
Sponsored