First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Folks, sorry for this basic question, but I am new to Trucks and Off road - but enjoying all the learning...

I have this really good albiet small tire inflator which I use on my Cadilack STS which I got from amazon it works well for this car and its tires:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VB41W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question is, for the bigger, fatter, all terran tires which come on the Mojave, will this be adaquate, or do I need to purchase a more heafty model. For now, I'll just be using the 115V outlet in the bed to run it (or if the bigger ones come 12V then the 12V outlet in the cab) if I need to purchase a new one so any recomendations welcome.
Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
It will probably struggle, as anything that plugs into the lighter socket will. Just not enough amps.
I love the VIAIR series. Personally I have the 400. Clips to the battery directly

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
It will probably struggle, as anything that plugs into the lighter socket will. Just not enough amps.
I love the VIAIR series. Personally I have the 400. Clips to the battery directly
Yep, what he said.

I have an ARB twin mounted in my fender well. But you should def look for something that connects directly to the battery. Duty cycle is also important, the higher the better but it's something to consider.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Look into a Vlair. Very reasonably priced. And they have different models made for larger tires. I have an 88p which is good for up to 33s. Stays in a bag under the rear seat.

Jeep Gladiator Basic question about tire inflators and tire size 78B63C98-1F1C-40A0-94E6-4D3168F38124

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I have one from a SLIME kit, plug-in or alligator clips. It will fill a single 35/12.50R17 from 18psi to 32 psi in about 5 minutes, and not be able to touch it for another 10 or so minutes.

I don't use the plug-in on the JT, blows the fuse. Just use the alligator clips.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend moving to an ARB. I am.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Folks! I will look into the models metioned.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well, I got my Mojave about a month ago and the VIAIR 400P days ago...Tried the 400P out on my STS first. It is a nice set-up, but I find the gauge on the hose pretty worthless. While the compressor is pumping the meter shows like 100 PSI (my STS tires are rune an 32PSI). So yea when you shut the compressor the included gauged show a "relatively" accurate reading, but not close to the digital gauged I've been using...So I called VIAIR tech support in CA and the fella tells me it is normal that the gauged shoots up that dramatically when it is running. This is at odds with what the manual says (something light slight difference vs when it is shut off).

I guess the question is, how do you folks with the VIAIR's know how long to run the compressor, given you can't even get a reading until the thing is shut off?

Thanks in Advance.

(Guess the tire inflator I am using now with my STS "dumbed me down" - lol, you set the pressure you want, and it shuts off when it reaches it, showing the entire time the PSI's very accurately as it is running.)

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Rubicon with 33s here.

I have a cheap Tack Life inflator I got from amazon and it plugs into the cig outlet. This is only for emergencies when I can't use the beach-side pumps. I have a fear that I'll drive off the beach and then the power is out at the pumps.

Anyway, one day, there was a huge line at the pumps and I didn't feel like waiting so I just went and parked and got out my Tack Life pump. I went from about 16 to 36 PSI. It took about 8 minutes per tire! The whole thing took about 35 minutes!!! What a waste of time!!! And I was getting bit by flies the whole time. I was not happy.

The beach-side pumps are like 45 seconds per tire. I'm out and back in the Jeep in 3 or 4 minutes if someone helps me.

So, yeah, slow cheap pumps are good for emergencies. But if you will be using it often and your time has value, then you need a faster pump.
Sponsored