Question on Bestop Sunrider

JMBurgess

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sting Gray Mojave
I just bought a used Sunrider and installed on Sunday. It’s in great shape, no issues with any of the hardware, but driving at any speed sounds almost like the rear windows are slightly cracked. It’s not super loud, I just hear a lot more than I used to. Granted, I had hard tops with Hotheads liners with sound assassin strips, so not surprising. I guess my question is does this level of sound seem normal or should I try reinstalling?
Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You'll definitely hear more noise especially at higher speeds. I've never heard wind or whistling actually coming through mine. Sounds simple but double check both latches are actually shut or it'll open up on you.

Take it out in the rain and if it leaks then you should re-install. Haven't had a leak in 2 1/2 years

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Tough to answer. I use a sound insulation on the hard bits as well.

My hearing made the journey from Led Zep to Metallica so this is just my personal take on it:

- It IS a bit louder, but not at the level of a cracked open rear window until you hit about 60mph-ish. At that point I’m +2-+4 on the music volume to ”hear it the same”, if that helps.

- in real-world driving I usually have to crack a window anyway at highway speeds to avoid that occasional “depth charge” effect.

- They make it in two fabrics: “Black Diamond” and the more expensive “Twill”. I have the twill, there may be a difference., don’t know.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
How many bolts did you use on the install? 4 or 6?

I'm not being a ball buster, someone once bought a used one that didn't come with the rear bracket and the 2 bolts that hold it in. They didn't know it was even supposed to be there and were wondering why their top was extra loud.

If it can happen once it could happen again.

OP
OP

JMBurgess

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sting Gray Mojave
How many bolts did you use on the install? 4 or 6?

I'm not being a ball buster, someone once bought a used one that didn't come with the rear bracket and the 2 bolts that hold it in. They didn't know it was even supposed to be there and were wondering why their top was extra loud.

If it can happen once it could happen again.
It’s a good question. I used all six and they’re snug. I’m thinking since I’m new to a soft top it’s normal and I’m just getting used to it. It’s not bad, I can just hear what’s going on outside more, which makes sense.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Z-clips are intact and in place?
This was going to be my next question. all 6 bolts in place, z clips are the next thing to check.

Maybe not true of everyone, but for me there is a very different noise between "soft top flappin" and air leak. My sunrider is definitely noiser than my hardtop, but it doesn't sound any different from any other softtop in good shape that i've owned/driven. A softtop in bad shape or not properly sealing sounds different.

OP
OP

JMBurgess

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sting Gray Mojave
This was going to be my next question. all 6 bolts in place, z clips are the next thing to check.

Maybe not true of everyone, but for me there is a very different noise between "soft top flappin" and air leak. My sunrider is definitely noiser than my hardtop, but it doesn't sound any different from any other softtop in good shape that i've owned/driven. A softtop in bad shape or not properly sealing sounds different.
I'll double check it all and might just take off and reinstall this weekend, but yes, all clips were in place. To clarify, it's less of a wind noise and more like I can simply hear what's going on outside quite a bit more. Like the engine turning over, wheel noise, other cars, etc. I heard these things with the freedom panels, just a lot more muffled, whereas with the Sunrider it's much clearer and a little louder. It just lets in a bit more sound, but from all the feedback I think that's just the normal soft top vs. insulated hard top difference. Thanks for all the perspectives!

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'll double check it all and might just take off and reinstall this weekend, but yes, all clips were in place. To clarify, it's less of a wind noise and more like I can simply hear what's going on outside quite a bit more. Like the engine turning over, wheel noise, other cars, etc. I heard these things with the freedom panels, just a lot more muffled, whereas with the Sunrider it's much clearer and a little louder. It just lets in a bit more sound, but from all the feedback I think that's just the normal soft top vs. insulated hard top difference. Thanks for all the perspectives!
Yea, based on that description i think it's just normal.

Sponsored

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
i just got mine professionally installed yesterday and honestly i don't hear a difference between my hard top and the sunrider...this after driving slow, fast, street and freeway and i do have the twill. but hey i have a feeling i will be driving with this thing open more than closed...
i hope the issue you are having gets resolved or you get used to if it is indeed just normal for the difference in sound...
but again, i can't tell a difference...maybe my hearing has changed after going to 20 to 50 concerts a year?! haha

OP
OP

JMBurgess

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sting Gray Mojave
Turns out that's the culprit. I guess I overlooked the z-clips when inspecting it at purchase and turns out one was completely disconnected from the cable and nowhere to be found. The passenger side fabric wasn't being pulled taut along the frame due to the missing clip / loose wire, so that's the culprit. FB seller was extremely generous and took it back to warranty it.
Sponsored