Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
My Canyon you had to flip the side lever to raise it, and then again to lower the rear seat bottoms. That would be a nice feature to have, especially if they made it lockable just like the seat backs.
Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Possible solution using a cheap Harbor Freight tie down strap:

Jeep Gladiator Rear seat issues? B1979C45-BCB0-4903-B4A5-F14EDA57D531

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
why not before buying straps, maybe try the seatbelt?? it might work, it might not, just saying if you want to try something that is already in the design of the truck use the seatbelt and might even lock if you are in hard braking......

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The twisted strap is killing me. I'm not OCD but I hate twisted ratchet straps if I can avoid it
Ha! Actually I hated it too, but there was a limit on how much time I was willing to spend on making it look great. It was raining on my back. lol

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
why not before buying straps, maybe try the seatbelt?? it might work, it might not, just saying if you want to try something that is already in the design of the truck use the seatbelt and might even lock if you are in hard braking......
Before I shot the above picture of the strap, I tried the seatbelt. It may have slowed down the seat bottom a little on its way down, but didn't stop it from moving.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
So long Trunk Monkey, Hello Seat Dog!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
If its something your going to be doing often I would just affix a strap to the bottom of the seat that would wrap around the headrest. When in the down position it would be out of site, but it would be easy to loop when ya need it.

Given that all gladiators to my knowlege come with some sort of storage under the seat wouldnt of thought it was intended to be left up. I appreciate how easy it is to raise & lower without a lever as I am often accessing both sides from the driver side reaching across so a lever or locking mechanism would of actually made things more difficult for my use.

OP
OP

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
If its something your going to be doing often I would just affix a strap to the bottom of the seat that would wrap around the headrest. When in the down position it would be out of site, but it would be easy to loop when ya need it.

Given that all gladiators to my knowlege come with some sort of storage under the seat wouldnt of thought it was intended to be left up. I appreciate how easy it is to raise & lower without a lever as I am often accessing both sides from the driver side reaching across so a lever or locking mechanism would of actually made things more difficult for my use.
I looked quick earlier today and think a strap afixed to the underside of the seat would be good to have and then clip it to the headrest when in the up position. Not sure how to attach to the underside of the seat but I will look a little closer. I hadn’t given consideration to being able to flip the rear seat up from the drivers seat. On transfer station days I usually put the recycling in the back seat with the seats flipped up so no big deal if the seat falls on the recycling bin. I guess I had just gotten used to the way my old truck functioned though I did also store things under that seat as well.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I looked quick earlier today and think a strap afixed to the underside of the seat would be good to have and then clip it to the headrest when in the up position. Not sure how to attach to the underside of the seat but I will look a little closer. I hadn’t given consideration to being able to flip the rear seat up from the drivers seat. On transfer station days I usually put the recycling in the back seat with the seats flipped up so no big deal if the seat falls on the recycling bin. I guess I had just gotten used to the way my old truck functioned though I did also store things under that seat as well.
A piece of nylon webbing & then attach with some short flange head screws. I am not positive, but I would bet that the bottom is just plywood under the carpet and since its out of site nobody would be able to see them.

May also be able to use velcrow, or attach to some other point on the base & use some a longer strap. Hell could be real simple & use an appropriately length dog leash & then have a backup if your out with your pupper & forgot the normal leash.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
A piece of nylon webbing & then attach with some short flange head screws. I am not positive, but I would bet that the bottom is just plywood under the carpet and since its out of site nobody would be able to see them.

May also be able to use velcrow, or attach to some other point on the base & use some a longer strap. Hell could be real simple & use an appropriately length dog leash & then have a backup if your out with your pupper & forgot the normal leash.
Maybe the LATCH system can be utilized. I’ll figure something out and report back. It’s not pressing right now but I was thinking about it last night and thought I’d post

AUeng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NotAJeep :(
With regard to design intent, here's what the owner's manual says about the rear seats:

"The rear seat bottoms can be folded upward into the Stadium Position to create more storage space on the vehicle’s floor, and to access the under seat storage bins (if equipped)."

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If it wasn't designed to stay up, and it slams down that it isn't a design flaw.

Just because some other brand stays up has no bearing on this.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say that most people put down a pad and have their dogs lay in the seat.

In any event. There is no argument here. I don't believe it is a flaw. If you think that it is than you should write a strongly worded letter to FCA. If they have had a significant number of complaints of seats slamming down on dogs while driving they will likely provide you with a repair or compensation. Or they might do nothing.

That being said, I provided a solution. Get a strap.
The bottom is meant to be storage - the seat is the lid. That's the design.
So STORAGE was the intended design - U R correct, no flaw.
Just because some other truck seat stayed up doesn't make this flawed because it's likely that OTHER truck seat came up for HAULING, not STORAGE.
This seat is a lid to a storage compartment, that was never intended to be lifted for hauling or carrying. Thus - no flaw. Totally different purpose truck, too. Can't compare.
(in case it was missed - I'm agreeing)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
With regard to design intent, here's what the owner's manual says about the rear seats:

"The rear seat bottoms can be folded upward into the Stadium Position to create more storage space on the vehicle’s floor, and to access the under seat storage bins (if equipped)."
STORAGE space - not hauling of living things.

Me - I have blankets and rugs I toss onto the seats and toss stuff up onto the seat.

In any case it's very obvious just by lifting the seat bottom and moving it back down that it doesn't latch. I knew that from day one. It's too darned simple to just use a finger to plop it back down, I never did expect it to stay up - there's no latch.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've put everything from groceries to plastic tubs of gear in the back, the load held the seats up. If I don't want to hammer the lever cushion covers, then I flip the seats up or down depending upon clearance. No point in driving around with the seat cushions up otherwise.

STORAGE space - not hauling of living things.

Me - I have blankets and rugs I toss onto the seats and toss stuff up onto the seat.

In any case it's very obvious just by lifting the seat bottom and moving it back down that it doesn't latch. I knew that from day one. It's too darned simple to just use a finger to plop it back down, I never did expect it to stay up - there's no latch.
Sponsored