Rear shock leak

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My Overland Gladiator just hit 2200 miles and this morning I discovered a puddle of fluid under it. I crawled under it and looked around to find one of the rear shocks leaking... a lot. I'm going to bring it in tomorrow to the local dealership, but in my 20+ years of owning vehicles I've never had a shock leak before. I'm curious to know if they will swap both rear shocks; anyone have any experience with this before?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
They will only swap the one leaking shock under warranty. Been down that road before on another FCA vehicle.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They will only swap the one leaking shock under warranty. Been down that road before on another FCA vehicle.
Dang! My wife's Mercedes had a front strut go out (wasn't leaking) and they replaced both sides under warranty. Hopefully they can fix my Gladiator quickly... Thanks for the response.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Dang! My wife's Mercedes had a front strut go out (wasn't leaking) and they replaced both sides under warranty. Hopefully they can fix my Gladiator quickly... Thanks for the response.
I feel where you are coming from but with only 2200 miles, it really should not be that big of concern of having matched wear of just putting in a new single shock.

My only advice is to make sure they replace your shock with the exact same part number shock. There is a difference in shocks even between the Sport and Overland and those with Max tow and how they are tuned. They should be ordering by your VIN but the parts guys can be lazy at the dealership.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just left the local dealership after dropping by to setup a repair appointment. I was told the shock may not be replaced, they have to run it through FCA warranty review. The service rep. explained “if I trashed it off-road it won’t be covered.” WTF?!? I tried to explain that the truck hadn’t been taken off-road and was meet with a ‘uh-huh’ and then was talked over that my driving patterns didn’t matter. I certainly understand that they have to review the part to verify that it’s defective, but immediately accusing me of damaging the part by going off-road? Why should it matter if the truck was off-roading or not? It’s marketed as being an off-road vehicle?!? If this is how Jeep treats their customers they aren’t going to keep me in another Jeep in a few years....

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I encourage you to remember this when you get the dealer survey.

Just left the local dealership after dropping by to setup a repair appointment. I was told the shock may not be replaced, they have to run it through FCA warranty review. The service rep. explained “if I trashed it off-road it won’t be covered.” WTF?!? I tried to explain that the truck hadn’t been taken off-road and was meet with a ‘uh-huh’ and then was talked over that my driving patterns didn’t matter. I certainly understand that they have to review the part to verify that it’s defective, but immediately accusing me of damaging the part by going off-road? Why should it matter if the truck was off-roading or not? It’s marketed as being an off-road vehicle?!? If this is how Jeep treats their customers they aren’t going to keep me in another Jeep in a few years....

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You need to find another dealer going forward. Sounds like that dealer does not like to do warranty work.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to find another dealer going forward. Sounds like that dealer does not like to do warranty work.
Spot on! Looks like I’ll be taking my business elsewhere...

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I setup an appoint for this coming Thursday. Hopefully everything goes well. Since this is the first time I’ve owned a Jeep I’m curious to know if most Jeep dealerships start the warranty repair conversation with an accusatory message? I called another dealership and their messaging to me started the same way...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I setup an appoint for this coming Thursday. Hopefully everything goes well. Since this is the first time I’ve owned a Jeep I’m curious to know if most Jeep dealerships start the warranty repair conversation with an accusatory message? I called another dealership and their messaging to me started the same way...
You got some douche dealers then. Around me, unless you come in with some serious trail rash or caked in mud, they do not give me any hard times with things like this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dropped it off this morning with a different service advisor who was much easier to deal with. I was told it may take up to two days to repair (this included a warranty review by FCA). Fingers crossed it is approved and is replaced quickly...

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I personnel wouldn't see why that would get people worked up as Im sure the Service writer didnt say it clearly but if the shock is damaged due to misuse that is not a warranty issue. So could he have said it better sure but warranty work doesn't cover damage that's due to off roading

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personnel wouldn't see why that would get people worked up as Im sure the Service writer didnt say it clearly but if the shock is damaged due to misuse that is not a warranty issue. So could he have said it better sure but warranty work doesn't cover damage that's due to off roading
That’s what I assumed would happen when I went by. However the conversation immediately took an accusatory tone with the original service rep. He Began accusing me of thrashing the vehicle off-road... My claims that it has never been off-road (it hasn’t been off-road) were ignored. Again, if customers come in and the conversation starts off with a “no worries, we will take a look at it. However if the part is damaged due to ...” that would be reassuring. But to jump to accusations at the outset of the conversation doesn’t create confident customers.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Dropped it off this morning with a different service advisor who was much easier to deal with. I was told it may take up to two days to repair (this included a warranty review by FCA). Fingers crossed it is approved and is replaced quickly...
Hi JP,

We're sorry to hear about the experience you had with one of our dealerships. However, we're glad to hear that you got a second opinion and that visit went much better. Please feel free to keep us updated with the progress of your vehicle status and let us know if you need any further assistance. We'd be more than happy to help!

Have an awesome weekend,

Courtney
JeepCares

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi JP,

We're sorry to hear about the experience you had with one of our dealerships. However, we're glad to hear that you got a second opinion and that visit went much better. Please feel free to keep us updated with the progress of your vehicle status and let us know if you need any further assistance. We'd be more than happy to help!

Have an awesome weekend,

Courtney
JeepCares
Hi @JeepCares - thanks for reaching out. I ended up taking the vehicle to the original dealer due to their location (the next closest dealer is a 40 mile round trip) and my working schedule... Not my ideal solution, but something I had to do. If I have any additional issues or concerns I will send you a PM.
Sponsored