Sponsored

Relocating the front shocks towards the wheel.

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
I've noticed a couple of lift manufactures and shock designers for the gladiator move the shocks outward on both the top and the bottom mounts. what would be the advantage of moving them 2 to 3 inches out on each side? Many lift kits and shocks have no relocation mounts... any suspension gurus have a good explaination of what is gained by doing this over stock locations on the front shocks?
Sponsored

Dr Feelgood

First Name
Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, the lower mount moved outward moves the shock away from contacting the frame rail at full droop.
I’ve used them on my JK and it made a huge difference in articulation and saved my shocks.
I’m now using the Metalcloak lower shock relocation mounts. They are BEEFY.
My Evo 6.5” coils were causing my Fox 2.0s to contact slightly but no longer. I’ve since lowered approximately an inch but still get enough flex.

OP
OP
Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
I bet that was the demise of my front drivers side fox 2.0... it quit its intended purpose while on a long off road trip. Seeing what it would have been pinched like... I understand! I'll be moving mine out.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Moving them outboard eliminates shock/frame contact when articulating. Rotating the lower bolt 90 degrees allows less lower bushing bind when articulating.
How much lift does this apply to? Seems like it would be a concern on high lifts maybe 3.5" and higher?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since others have commented on why it's done, I thought I'd add what it changes.

Moving the shocks or springs farther outboard gives them more leverage when the vehicle rolls. So you get a bit more roll stiffness. All else being equal, this would slightly improve on-road handling.

Though "all else being equal" nearly never happens because this is done on on a truck that is being modified.
Sponsored