Sponsored

Removed my roof for the first time to install Mopar Hardtop Headliner

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
So, today I decided that it was the perfect day to remove my JTM Freedom Top and install the Mopar Hardtop Headliner I had stashed since the cold months of winter. Looked at this video to see what I was in for the R&R as I was doing this by myself:

Removing the hardtop on a Jeep Gladiator and getting ready for a JTops Sun Shade - YouTube

I had stated before in an earlier post that I left the Hardtop Headliner option off my order to add later and save a hundred bucks (also to add Kilmat sound deadening before the headliner install). All went well. I really took my time to make sure I didn't hurt myself or drop the roof, but I highly suggest another person for the removal and re-install. The poster of that video thought that it might be 40 pounds? More like 60-70 pounds of bulky, cumbersome fiberglass (and glass window). Plus, a bit heavier install after adding headliner and sound deadening. It's a good thing I have long arms!

In hindsight, I would opt for the factory installed choice. Overall, the project was a success, and I can definitely tell the difference already. Really quiets the road noise down and the sound system sounds better.

It may be time to rig up a roof hoist! :headbang:
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So, today I decided that it was the perfect day to remove my JTM Freedom Top and install the Mopar Hardtop Headliner I had stashed since the cold months of winter. Looked at this video to see what I was in for the R&R as I was doing this by myself:

Removing the hardtop on a Jeep Gladiator and getting ready for a JTops Sun Shade - YouTube

I had stated before in an earlier post that I left the Hardtop Headliner option off my order to add later and save a hundred bucks (also to add Kilmat sound deadening before the headliner install). All went well. I really took my time to make sure I didn't hurt myself or drop the roof, but I highly suggest another person for the removal and re-install. The poster of that video thought that it might be 40 pounds? More like 60-70 pounds of bulky, cumbersome fiberglass (and glass window). Plus, a bit heavier install after adding headliner and sound deadening. It's a good thing I have long arms!

In hindsight, I would opt for the factory installed choice. Overall, the project was a success, and I can definitely tell the difference already. Really quiets the road noise down and the sound system sounds better.

Hoist easy and cheap using two Menards bicycle lifts, handful of pulleys from Amazon or Lowes, a cheap boat winch and a couple hours time. I can have mine hoisted up, locked in place to store in the garage (hanging so I park under it) or set it down into my truck for reinstall while using the boat winch to lower it with one hand, guiding it into place with the other.
It was so simple it was crazy, and very cheap. And the nice thing - it's hang there safely out of the way when it's off the truck.

OP
OP
ZoMojave

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Hoist easy and cheap using two Menards bicycle lifts, handful of pulleys from Amazon or Lowes, a cheap boat winch and a couple hours time. I can have mine hoisted up, locked in place to store in the garage (hanging so I park under it) or set it down into my truck for reinstall while using the boat winch to lower it with one hand, guiding it into place with the other.
It was so simple it was crazy, and very cheap. And the nice thing - it's hang there safely out of the way when it's off the truck.
Thanks for the insight. I will be coming up with a plan for a hoist system very soon. Unfortunately, that may have not helped me today as my project required the top to be turned over and laid upside down on the floor for full access to install the sound deadening and Mopar headliner panels.

A couple of Tylenol were taken afterwards! :whew:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the factory headliners are any different in coverage than HotHeads. But HotHeads instructions provide a way to install the headliners without removing the top.

You unbolt it and then put some spacers under it to make room for you to work. Just an idea. Obviously review it to see if it works for you. I also believe they have a Youtube video of this process.

I have a set of HotHeads. I got them in January and only did the freedom panels over the winter. I'll be doing the rear along with some Dynamat soon.

I've got a topper on so removing the top would be a hassle.

***IF ANYONE can share the experience of removing a top on a truck with a cap/topper I'd appreciate it. I think it would be difficult to do because you would have to lift it up high enough to clear the windshield.

Sponsored

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator

I just took my roof off for the first time. Re-installed it and I can't tell for the life of me if the rear passenger bolt has always been exposed... It's driving me mad. Was there a cover I'm missing?

OP
OP
ZoMojave

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I don't think the factory headliners are any different in coverage than HotHeads. But HotHeads instructions provide a way to install the headliners without removing the top.

You unbolt it and then put some spacers under it to make room for you to work. Just an idea. Obviously review it to see if it works for you. I also believe they have a Youtube video of this process.

I have a set of HotHeads. I got them in January and only did the freedom panels over the winter. I'll be doing the rear along with some Dynamat soon.

I've got a topper on so removing the top would be a hassle.

***IF ANYONE can share the experience of removing a top on a truck with a cap/topper I'd appreciate it. I think it would be difficult to do because you would have to lift it up high enough to clear the windshield.
I researched every headliner on the market before deciding to stick with the Mopar version. Prices were all pretty close. The coverage is more extensive compared to Hotheads or Boom Mat with a total of eight pieces (including a one-piece rear roof panel) and a design that is form fitted to the lines and channels of the Freedom Top resulting in a professional fit and finish as one would expect from OEM. The only one that had 100% coverage was the Covercraft but seemed to me like flimsy & thin subwoofer box material that is glue to the roof.

Very pleased with the quality and end result! Just a bit more difficult to install. :like:

OP
OP
ZoMojave

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I just took my roof off for the first time. Re-installed it and I can't tell for the life of me if the rear passenger bolt has always been exposed... It's driving me mad. Was there a cover I'm missing?
I noticed the same thing today during install. Driver side mount is covered by the wire connector cover while the pass side is uncovered. Go figure.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
I noticed the same thing today during install. Driver side mount is covered by the wire connector cover while the pass side is uncovered. Go figure.
Ok glad I'm not losing it. I never recalled seeing all that white but I guess I dont look back there all that often

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
4 cam buckle straps and 4 eye hooks are what I use to hold the top.

I researched every headliner on the market before deciding to stick with the Mopar version. Prices were all pretty close. The coverage is more extensive compared to Hotheads or Boom Mat
The center of the headliner will come off of the roof over time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The center of the headliner will come off of the roof over time.
It will?
Very nice set up. I hope that you don't have a patent on it!
With my back, I wanted an easy, no effort at all, way to do it. No lifting, no effort. Take out the bolts, put the cords in place (and the bike lift fingers under the back edge in the back) and operate the winch. Up it goes. It lifts it evenly and if it decides to get a bit uneven, you lift up on the lower part a bit and it evens out again and you keep winching. It normally lifts straight up.
I already had the bike lifts and some pulleys on hand.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland

Should’ve done the hotheads one with the sound strip assassin

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Should have just gone with the soft top
Sponsored