Sponsored

Getting ready to off-road for the first time, what is this truck capable of? How to plan my build?

Rubicon Bob

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Rubi, 17 Grand Cherokee, 2020 GCM LE Gladiator
In all the different threads asking for help about building or offroading, I have not seen the one most helpful answer. Search out for other Clubs in your area. Any GOOD club welcomes a newbie along and will help them. A big plus with this idea is the you are not breaking the cardinal rule of "Never offroad alone!" I saw at one point, someone asked about Jeep Jamboree. I know how most people feel about it. Years ago, I was a trail guide for JJ. That was back when they used local clubs as guides. I have made numerous long time friends from that. If you are not sure about how to offraod, they use to be very helpful in teaching. Any GOOD guide or club should be able to tell you if your vehicle is capable of doing the obsticle or trail in question. I know there are some clubs here in Las Vegas that are all about rocks. Or it's not a good run without getting some kind of damage, roll over or breakage. Those clubs are not for me. I prefer scenic runs that include ghosttowns, mines and even cemetaries. And yes, there is that type of club around.

So my advise is use your JT like it is now. Figure out how you want to use it. Then build it from there. And don't offroad alone.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Matt, Matt, Matt . . . one minute your "liking" my (silly) suggestion (post #5) then a bit later your CHASTISING ME over hot coals ?? IF you've EVER noticed my many posts, they are "usually" on the whimsical or "dry" side of humor and though I usually select a Face Emoji of some sort to reflect that . . . JUST IN CASE (as in your case) someone doesn't "get it," , but in this I did not . . . perhaps in hindsight I should of selected something like > :LOL: ;) ? The choice of > :headbang: is a reflection of MY Confusion or rather lack of understanding as to how an Ostrich or SURGE can be good at survival yet have it's (COMICAL) head (the ostrich) stuck in the ground . Do ostriches actually do that ? Beats me !?

NOW, SURGE if your listening ? :CWL: . I have to NOW add, after considering some of the more strait forward helpful suggestions (such as Dorion's) that these ARE good helpful thoughts . AND, I gotta also say that I Truly Admire your brutal honesty (brutal meaning total lack of any insight or knowledge of the vehicle or how to even use it - other than as your "Fishing Buddy" ! Something I TOTALLY GET AND ALSO ADMIRE, as I too am a fishing "nut" and used my past truck and now my Grand Cherokee as MY "take me to the River (or lake) in an Overland-ing way . My confusion continues though, since you seem to suggest that FLORIDA will be your ONLY venue for this JEEPS use ! I highly suggest IF you have the ability - to expand your horizons . GO Explore, Confidently in your Capable new JEEP . Heck just across the border in Georgia (the terrain changes) you'll find FUN awaits ! ONE suggestion, coming from someone who has been stationed in Florida (JAX/Mayport for 4 years) - stay out of the salt and wash the undercarriage after each use on or near that beach-sand (salt). Very Corrosive . Now go take some initiative and google away some "insight of your own . . . you'll be glad you did . . . self confidence is a wonderful thing . HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE . . .you too ARCHIE . . . and stop yelling at Edith so much . . . :):):) ;) (hope the emoji's help!)
tbh I also thought the dry sarcasm was a bit much lol. He was just asking for help - I think what would have made a difference was if you had added some tips to help him (which you are clearly knowledgeable of) and if you had done that it would have come off as a joke. I think since you didn't do that it could be misconstrued as trolling ;). Just my $0.02

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I prefer scenic runs that include ghosttowns, mines and even cemetaries. And yes, there is that type of club around.
That sounds amazing, just the kind of thing I would REALLY like. Doubt I'll find anything like that in South Florida though.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... Honestly, I think overlanding appeals to me the most, but I don't think that's possible here. South Florida, so as far as I know, never having done this before, is that our off-road is limited to swamps and mud. ....
One of three national forests in Florida. All of those small white lines are potential overland routes (look at the full size image). Get a copy of the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for each national forest to learn which ones are legal for 4 wheel drive Jeeps and such. Plan a route and then go explore.
Image1.jpg

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
For MPG are you using cruse control? I found that is where I am able to pick up most of my mileage.

Also for the start/stop feature are you making sure it engages in the stop and go traffic? Being in Florida are you blasting the AC most of the time? I think that will cause the feature to not engage when you are at stop lights.

One thing I have learned with the way the start/stop feature works in the gladiator is you can not craw forward at lights like most people like to do. It will re-engage the engine and it won't stop again until after you have moved a decent amount.

I have found from resetting the MPG gauge and doing yard work that idling the engine will bring down your overall MPG a decent amount based on the way the truck calculates it. Avoid idling.

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
For MPG are you using cruse control? I found that is where I am able to pick up most of my mileage.

Also for the start/stop feature are you making sure it engages in the stop and go traffic? Being in Florida are you blasting the AC most of the time? I think that will cause the feature to not engage when you are at stop lights.

One thing I have learned with the way the start/stop feature works in the gladiator is you can not craw forward at lights like most people like to do. It will re-engage the engine and it won't stop again until after you have moved a decent amount.

I have found from resetting the MPG gauge and doing yard work that idling the engine will bring down your overall MPG a decent amount based on the way the truck calculates it. Avoid idling.
I don’t think I even have cruise control, I didn’t get the safety package, I had it in both of my previous vehicles and never used it once.

The start/stop works most of the time. I’m used to driving manual cars so I don’t really crawl up, feels weird not riding a clutch.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Your mpg will increase as your mileage increases, the computer has not had enough time to program to your driving habits. In two years i will be doing a overland trip with my grand dauther. This will be a three week overland trip, if you would like to tag along let me know, I will go places you will not believe exist, just keep it in mind.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Lotta people use this to find trails - https://www.gaiagps.com/

How about you install that on your phone and give it a shot?
And I'd like to offer up what may be to obvious that it has been overlooked ? . . . Right HERE and also over on the sister site JL Wranglers - Here it's called REGIONAL SECTIONS / SOUTH FLORIDA GLADIATOR CLUB and over at JL it's STAGING AREA / SOUTH, THEN member MORTON and another have club like gatherings !
Of course these things exist in just about ALL the Regions of USA & beyond - just that these Forums are a good place to start and mingle with our own members, make friends and LEARN a lot too 1st-hand - good luck .

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That sounds amazing, just the kind of thing I would REALLY like. Doubt I'll find anything like that in South Florida though.
Surge, your a big man now . . . break the bubble your in and reach out . . . it's a BIG World ! :rock: :like: ;)

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I don’t think I even have cruise control, I didn’t get the safety package, I had it in both of my previous vehicles and never used it once.

The start/stop works most of the time. I’m used to driving manual cars so I don’t really crawl up, feels weird not riding a clutch.
You should. At least the Sport S and up come with it. All the safety package does is add auto breaking and deceleration to the cruise control. I learned about the value of it years ago after getting to many speeding tickets. Had to teach different women in my life how to use it as well after their speeding tickets.

I really learned how to use it for MPG increase when I owned a Honda odyssey that did a strange eco mode thing where it shutoff half the engine. I found I couldn't keep my foot right to keep it in that mode at all and needed to use cruse control for it.

The Gladiator even has nice Up/Down buttons so you can have the truck itself accelerate for you at a more gradual pace.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You should. At least the Sport S and up come with it. All the safety package does is add auto breaking and deceleration to the cruise control. I learned about the value of it years ago after getting to many speeding tickets. Had to teach different women in my life how to use it as well after their speeding tickets.

I really learned how to use it for MPG increase when I owned a Honda odyssey that did a strange eco mode thing where it shutoff half the engine. I found I couldn't keep my foot right to keep it in that mode at all and needed to use cruse control for it.

The Gladiator even has nice Up/Down buttons so you can have the truck itself accelerate for you at a more gradual pace.
:facepalm: . . . :clap: :clap: :clap: . . . now that really is AMAZING, and it works too, I know I've used it in my jeep G. C. ! ;)
Sponsored