Sponsored

What do I need to go off road the first time?

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Hi everyone. So I recently bought a Sport S about 3 weeks ago with 20k miles on it. Already has Mopar 2" lift and 35" tires. I've already ordered gears and they are being installed later this month as the stock 3.73s are just driving me crazy on the highway. I live in NC and plan to take it to Uwharrie (I think that's how you spell it) and going to TN later in February after the gears are broken in.

What I was wondering is do I need to invest in rock rails or a winch before taking it anywhere? I don't plan on going anywhere really hardcore just yet as the last time I went off roading was about 10 years ago with an old Dodge Ram 1500. I just didn't want to destroy the side of my new Jeep with the plastic running boards that came on it and I don't know anyone around to go with so getting stuck and not having a winch or something to get unstuck would be very bad.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

notquiteflotsam

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave; 2011 JKU Sport (retired)
I'm hardly an off-road expert, but have been multiple times, never in TN. Never had a winch. Unless your intent is to get more and more hard core, you can have plenty of fun without draining your wallet.

My first recommendation would be find a buddy vehicle - don't go alone unless it's a well-traffic'd route. In my experience, most on the trail are more than willing to help out should things go south. There is likely an off-road community where your are headed and you can probably have luck finding someone on this forum (the Tennessee group, for example) where you could plan on either joining their outing or get a member to go with you. You can do your part here by bringing a tow rope or snap strap.

Like any outting in the wilderness, map, first aid, extra water, etc

I'd take the plastic running boards off for your trip as you could tear them up/they could get filled with mud, and they could rip more damage on the JT. My philosophy has been to go with stock and if something gets torn up, replace it with better gear. However plastic bits that are easily removable like this is worth the effort to take them off. There are frequently stock rubi-rails posted here for sale as take offs that you could consider for a more budget-entry if you are really concerned about it.

I'd also look into a Jamboree type event to improve your skills so you don't get yourself into too much trouble.

Have fun

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
Find a local club or club event to go on so you're not out there alone. Should have a tow strap, tire pressure gauge and air compressor so that you can air down and air up your tires.

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
Avid wheeler with 10 years experience instructing off-road.

- You can safely wheel alone. Just be cautious and think twice before attempting obstacles you are not sure of.

In your situation a winch would be a great item to have. With it comes familiarization and safety. You will also need solid recovery gear to compliment the winch.

Sliders would be a good addition especially in the areas you mentioned.

Walk obstacles prior to navigating them, pick your line and work through it. Also look for specific points to aid in recovery with a winch.

Find a local area to practice driving technique before venturing out. You will gain some experience and better understand your abilities and the vehicle capabilities. Plus you get to work with the recovery kit prior to using it in a real situation.

I was out yesterday (Saturday) with a group of people. One wheeler got stuck but had a winch. The remote was in the bed of the truck and he couldn't access it because he could open the tailgate and gain access to his boxes. Plus he was running 35psi in his tires. Fully capable vehicle, lifted Mojave with 38" Cooper SST pro and selectable lockers front (aftermarket) and rear Someone else had to winch him out.

Planning is key especially when alone. Simple things like where your recovery kit is located can make life easy or be pure frustrating when you can't access it.

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Awesome. Thank you everyone. Definitely gave me more confidence to go in without spending thousands on recovery and armor.
I'm definitely going to get an air down kit I found on iron man 4x4 and some recovery straps.

I'll definitely look for some groups to find people to go with.

does anyone know how well the stock steps hold up on these vehicles? I never thought of taking them off before heading out. Great idea. Thanks!

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
does anyone know how well the stock steps hold up on these vehicles?
They don't. Any weight on them and they will crumble. If you sideswipe a tree they will crumble

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
Dont forget to bring a can of
"Whoop Ass"
You own a Jeep now 😉

Mbryson

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Rubicon diesel
Occupation
IT Manager
A friend or two and to go and explore. You'll find your limits as you use the truck. Fix and repeat

Lost_In_The_Woods

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
There's already been some good advice on what to bring. The main thing is to go out and have some fun. I don't really know that area but if it's just dirt roads then you should be fine running by yourself as long as your smart about it. If it's a little more than gravel roads I would suggest trying to go with another rig. That being said, I'm usually by myself so there is that. If you don't know anyone to go with then you could always start a thread in the South local section and get a run planned.
I would suggest that if you're going to be in an area that could take out your steps, it would be best to pull them off before the trip and put them back on later. I've been out with someone who had regular steps on their Tacoma and we ended up pulling them off on the trail because they were getting damaged. It wasn't fun.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Depending on how and where you want to off-road, you might want to invest in skid plates.

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
When you hit the trail, raise your drivers seat to give you a better line of sight.
SLOW! You can bump and drag with little damage, sometimes 2mph can cause major damage. 4 wheel low and you will use the brakes more than the throttle.
Lower control arm skids were my first mod and the one that I use the most. 😁
Remember to remove unnecessary weight before heading off road.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Didn't read the replies to the initial post... Since you're having it re-geared install at the very least a rear locker at this time. If you plan to wheel this school bus you'll be very glad to have done so on the 1st go around.

Sliders are not worth the money until you destroy a rocker and door! So they make wonderful pieces of protection. You might find some Rubicon or Mojave take offs to get you started. As long as you're not a madman you can work with this!!

It is an interesting world of what is needed for the basics these days. Just depends on 2dr vs Gladiator sorta thing. Most stock 2dr Rubi's on 35's will make a Gladiator on 37's seem like a fat turd, but then there is that scenario where that changes!!

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Didn't read the replies to the initial post... Since you're having it re-geared install at the very least a rear locker at this time. If you plan to wheel this school bus you'll be very glad to have done so on the 1st go around.
I thought about the lockers but in all honesty with all the videos I've watched, I think I can handle it with the LSD in the back and the BLD in the front. I was debating a front locker but I've seen Jeeps using BLD and get up some serious stuff. If they made a lunchbox locker for the JT I would definitely go for that but I think I'd rather save locker money and put towards a winch.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I thought about the lockers but in all honesty with all the videos I've watched, I think I can handle it with the LSD in the back and the BLD in the front. I was debating a front locker but I've seen Jeeps using BLD and get up some serious stuff. If they made a lunchbox locker for the JT I would definitely go for that but I think I'd rather save locker money and put towards a winch.
Skip the lunchbox lockers, waste of money in my opinion. In the front you want selectable locker or a good LSD, I'm partial to the Detroit Truetrac if going LSD. A full time locker in the front axle will make it harder to steer, especially when the ground gets slick, not to mention sidehill performance.

The BLD and LSD combo will get you around pretty decent for awhile. If you get bit hard-core by the rock bug then lockers will be wanted. Other wise, most of the time a LSD is just fine. My last few rigs were open or LSD, my Rubicon is the first with lockers and I've gone most places I wanted in the past. May of winches a few times, but hey.
Sponsored