Sponsored

Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time?

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
I have no idea how this happened. Actually, I do know exactly how this happened. First, the automakers got away from frame on rail suvs and turned them into minivans (e.g. the Honda Pilot). So the wife got a glorified minivan for the family truckster that I can use to carry home depot stuff or count on to drive on semi-paved roads. Second, I needed to replace my sedan with a car that fits the kids. My current sedan still works, so I kept dragging my feet on the 540. Third, I saw the gladiator parked on the hill in front of the dealership. I went and looked at it, and saw that it was FUN. Not an advanced drivers car like the 540.

So then the next car for the wife is the Land Rover on a lease. She gets the dinner car, I have the s2k for summer racing and the Gladiator to hit the offroad park and act as the ski truck.
Hard to beat those S2Ks for fling about convertible fun eh? Here’s mine. :)

CCC412D8-5C5E-43F5-AB8E-1F1E0CD285D0.jpeg
Sponsored

JDMRN81

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Always owned Wranglers or SUV's. When we moved into our new build last May I had some projects to do around and inside the house. I was constantly borrowing my FIL's Ranger and I quickly realized I needed a truck. Trucks are just so versatile and I'm a believer.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to beat those S2Ks for fling about convertible fun eh? Here’s mine. :)

Jeep Gladiator Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time? CCC412D8-5C5E-43F5-AB8E-1F1E0CD285D0
Nice! Black badges, front protector, rear spoiler, aftermarket wheels. Still have the tape on the front windshield - I peeled mine off. Is it the F20C or F22? Here's mine - #5602.

Jeep Gladiator Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time? 1625193608943

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I got into antique engine collecting, restoring and showing when I was about 18. I decided to sell a couple of my cars and get a truck to haul my antique engines around.
So my first truck was a 67 Chevy 3/4 ton with a stick - with that granny low 1st gear.
My next was a 70 Chevy 3/4 ton fully loaded - bought used with 24,000 miles on it. Kept that until things started breaking and traded it for 87 Comanche. Next truck was 95 F250 4x4, then a 2011 Silverado 4x4 and now the JT.
While I farmed I had two Ford grain trucks.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
The power of owning a truck is knowing that when you're driving down the street and you come across a piece of furniture being disposed of on the curb, it's yours if you want it. Can't do that in a car.

Sponsored

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Nice! Black badges, front protector, rear spoiler, aftermarket wheels. Still have the tape on the front windshield - I peeled mine off. Is it the F20C or F22? Here's mine - #5602.

Jeep Gladiator Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time? 1625193608943
Aww man you got the red interior!! Frickin love it! My son has a 2001 with red interior and IMO that’s the best color combo they made! Mine is an F20c. Gotta love that 9k redline! I’ve got the original wheels but the previous owner had put those on and they grew on me. I think the S2000 is one of the most beautiful drop-tops ever. Congrats!

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
First Jeep, but third truck. But this is the first I’ve ever modified besides a toolbox on my old F150. I do use it for “truck stuff”. No towing yet, but hauling on multiple occasions.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, bought mine because it's a TRUCK, and I need a truck, but always wanted a Wrangler but could not justify it. Wasn't a hard sell to my wife.......
I've even hauled 3 loads of landscaping/retaining wall block, etc. |
Can't wait for the first trip with my car hauler hitched on behind it.

YooperCracker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator MT6, 2011 Ford Ranger MT5
My Gladiator is my first Jeep and my first "big" truck. I have a 2011 Ford Ranger that is going to be a bit too small for what I want to do the next few summers (build a cabin). I got the Gladiator because it was a manual (like my Ranger). Everyday driving is so boring to me, unless I have a stick. Then it's like a video game, but IRL.

The only other truck with a stick is a Tacoma. I figured if I was going to overpay, then it was going to be a Jeep!

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Loved my JKU and my TJ, but living with either today just wouldn’t work. I’m quite grateful for the JT as it ticks all the right boxes for my needs.
A full size truck is overkill and I really just never cared for driving them, and a Wrangler just wouldn’t quite cut it.
Jeep Gladiator Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time? IMG_5093

Sponsored

Weldit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator, ‘15 Mustang, ‘02 Excursion
Occupation
Welder/Machinist
A “big” truck it’s not, but sure is handy sometimes.

NVjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2023 JT
Occupation
Retired
I've owned more pickups than cars, usually a full size w. 8' box.
It was a hard decision going to a pickup w. a narrow 5' box, until I discovered the Gladiator had enough tow capacity to tow my enclosed cargo trailer.

When I have enough cargo to need a full size pickup, I'll be towing the trailer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned more pickups than cars, usually a full size w. 8' box.
It was a hard decision going to a pickup w. a narrow 5' box, until I discovered the Gladiator had enough tow capacity to tow my enclosed cargo trailer.

When I have enough cargo to need a full size pickup, I'll be towing the trailer.
I bought my first car at age 14 - my first truck, a 3/4 ton Chevy V8 manual with "granny low" at age 18. No AC, no power anything.
I've had several since then, most were "standard" 8' box except the 87 Comanche I had. that was a short box truck.
When I went with a 2011 Silverado it had the new 'standard length' box. 8' was then being considered a "long box" and not standard.

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
I have always been more of a "car" guy. Specifically American Muscle cars but also cars in general. Trucks were always tools, you kept an old one around for those times you needed one. I had four Rangers before my Gladiator. The Gladiator was a compromise. I wanted to replace my XJ with a new Jeep for a bunch of reasons. When the Gladiator came out that was a bonus. Jeep truck!
I still prefer how cars drive and I will probably always keep one. Hopefully I won't have to keep buying older and older ones!
But I love my Gladiator and plan to keep it for a long time!
Sponsored