Tough Time Deciding What Truck

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
2020 Tacoma has added power drivers seat and retuned power train. Very few complaints at this point. You can also get a 6’ bed. The back seat has less room than the JT and has the Taco had less headroom. You can get a Tacoma OffRoad 4x4 longbed with blind spot and adaptive cruise as well as LED headlights for under 37k if you shop hard, it will also have rear lockers and get a bit better fuel economy than a loaded max tow Sport S Gladiator or Overland with safety upgrades (shop hard to be under 40k ) but you will have the convertible top. So I’d say if you want the convertible top and more leg room in the back go with the Jeep and an extended warranty. If you want the 6’ bed, extra safety equipment, better FE, rear lockers, and better reliability go with the Toyota. Both are great trucks.
Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Four Jeeps (JK, JT) in my family. All have been very reliable. The JT is a real truck and a real Jeep. Towing, hauling, huge brakes, strong suspension with great articulation, very customizable (if desired). Sport S with max tow is a great combination. 4.10s wtih the 8 speed auto gives a much better low gear than the old 5 speed auto, and also a better overdrive, even if you got 3.73 with the JK. The Rubi/max tow axles are stronger, with thicker tubes.

JBuckeye81

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
This point is huge. The feeling I got driving my old CJ around with the doors and roof off is unmatched.

These 3 replies have already convinced me. I know what I want in a truck and just felt nervous about Jeep v. Tacoma reliability, but I'd rather not pass JT's in a Tacoma thinking that my truck isn't as good...
The best advice I could give is follow your heart, and it sounds like that’s what you’re already thinking.

I went through the exact same thought process before I purchased my Gladiator, which means I spent a lot of time at the Toyota dealership. I went into that process thinking it would be a decision between the Tacoma and the Gladiator, but after driving the Tacoma and being very disappointed in the overall driving feel, it became a decision between the Tundra and the Gladiator. At that point, I was comparing a highly desirable, mid sized Jeep truck with modern design characteristics that came equipped with all the towing capacity I would ever need. Versus a somewhat archaic full sized truck that hadn’t seen a new design since 2007, and whose best features were it’s V8 engine and availability of TRD off-road package. To me, the full size Tundra was the only Toyota truck that competed well with the Gladiator. But they are different animals. My Jeep roots won out, not to mention I didn’t favor driving a full size truck as my daily driver.

Regarding the Sport vs. Rubicon decision, I currently own a 2014 Wrangler Rubicon (2-dr) and a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon. At the end of the day, both the Wrangler and Gladiator are adventure vehicles, and people tend to buy them with that in mind (despite the reality that many never choose to take them off-road). A large number of Jeep owners are buying into a ‘feeling’ they get every time they get behind the wheel. Since future residual value is a key element of any car buying decision, I’ve always tried to equip my vehicles with the features that most people are going to want, and Jeep buyers definitely favor having their vehicle equipped with features that enable adventure. Hence, my decision in favor of Rubicon.

On top of all that, I feel like Jeep absolutely nailed the new release of both the JL and JT in Rubicon trim from the standpoint of eye appeal. In both cases, the upgrade to Rubicon trim results in the buyer being rewarded with a far more desirable set of interior and exterior features than the previous generation did (JK). I’m talking about the base features, such as 7’ UConnect, red stitched interior, and a much more appealing overall interior with red highlights. Also front and rear bumpers + base wheels + exterior trim pieces with red highlights are a major improvement over the previous generation Rubicon.

I was similar to you in terms of target price point going in (around $38K), which meant I needed to locate a JT Rubicon in dealer inventory that was pretty close to base with Auto transmission + upgraded soft top (MSRP around $49K). I found one at a dealer in Exelsior Springs, Missouri and was able to get $6K off MSRP. The best I could get any local dealer here in Ohio to offer off a Rubicon was $3K. So, I ended up spending about $4K more than my initial target, but was rewarded with a vehicle that met all of my wish list items, albeit not equipped with a long list of options.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I am in the same boat. Currently deciding on selling my heavily modded 2011 TRD offroad tacoma and buying a JT. It would be nice to have an auto-trans since anytime we take the truck anywhere I have to drive since the wife isn't comfortable with the manual. I think the JT will be reliable but small issues from the factory (FAD, Bad Steering Box, Bad Front Axle Seals, Not enough Diff Oil) are making me think long and hard about this decision. I know alot has to do with manufacturing statistics/ defects and it is a total luck of the draw. 2nd gen Tacoma's have several TSB's and recalls, but to me they are much more minor.

I would plan on keeping the JT a long time (over 200,000 mi), so I want to make sure it will hold up over time. Also, I would get the max amount of warranty that is available.

I am still on the fence. I definitely want this 'jeep truck' due to all the above comments but I am doing my homework to see what I am getting into.

Also, if a JT has been sitting on the lot for a while, I would have the dealer replace the Aux battery before final purchase (JT's have two batteries). Seems like a lot of people are having issues with this battery being too low, and causing the ESS to not work, throwing CEL, vehicle not starting etc.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
If your a big offroader and can afford Rubicon then go for it but not at the expense of putting yourself in a bind. The other models all have the roofs and doors that come off for a more reasonable price if your not doing crazy offroad stuff. Sport S Max tow is nice base but dang they sure are pushing those overlands right now with some crazy pricing.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
If your a big offroader and can afford Rubicon then go for it but not at the expense of putting yourself in a bind. The other models all have the roofs and doors that come off for a more reasonable price if your not doing crazy offroad stuff. Sport S Max tow is nice base but dang they sure are pushing those overlands right now with some crazy pricing.
Thats how I feel. I would prefer the Sport S with max tow because I think you get more 'truck' for the money. I would add air-lockers down the road if I got the sport S, but recently I have seen some base rubicons for around $3000 more than the Sport S. For me it will be a last minute decision with whatever is on the lot. If I can get a stripped down rubicon for Mid $40's out the door I will consider. I don't care for all the fancy stuff that the higher end rubicons/ overlanders have. I do like the LED headlights however...

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Thats how I feel. I would prefer the Sport S with max tow because I think you get more 'truck' for the money. I would add air-lockers down the road if I got the sport S, but recently I have seen some base rubicons for around $3000 more than the Sport S. For me it will be a last minute decision with whatever is on the lot. If I can get a stripped down rubicon for Mid $40's out the door I will consider. I don't care for all the fancy stuff that the higher end rubicons/ overlanders have. I do like the LED headlights however...[/QUOTE
I think if you do some good negotiating you could get a Rubicon with limited items for the mid 45's or maybe a few thousand extra. I've see a few here in Houston for around $49,000 so guess just depends what you could get the dealership to come off of. They are all pushing the overlands really hard right now.

JBuckeye81

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
You might find a Sport S with Max Tow and some other options under 40K like I did.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
You might find a Sport S with Max Tow and some other options under 40K like I did.
Shouldn’t be hard right now. The truck in my sig was 38,600 on a 44,xxx sticker in late January. Surely that can be beat right now

EezyE

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
At least with the Gladiator, your steering wheel will be centered. Tacoma steering wheels are known to be off-centered. At least the second generation ones were. I have never driven a third gen.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
I agree with @JBuckeye81, follow your heart. When I began looking to replace my Canyon diesel I was looking at a Tacoma and a JT as well. I shopped & read till I was blue in the face. Then one day my girlfriend and I were driving through town and I almost broke my neck trying to turn and see a JT that went by and she said: there is only one vehicle on the road other than a V-twin sport bike that you would actually risk our lives to look at.

Well....she had a point. So that weekend I went and got a JT. LOL!

Didn't help my brother already had a JT as well.

But she was right, I like tacomas, I have owned them, but it was the JT that I would yell when I saw one, or make a comment about every time I saw one.

Its all good...because, even though I own a JT I still act like a child when I see one.:blush::CWL:

My only negative is that what I paid for my Sport S, I could now buy a Rubi with prices they are now. But other than that...no regrets at all other the this Sha-Rona crap keeping me from doing what I want.

Good luck in your search.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I agree with @JBuckeye81, follow your heart. When I began looking to replace my Canyon diesel I was looking at a Tacoma and a JT as well. I shopped & read till I was blue in the face. Then one day my girlfriend and I were driving through town and I almost broke my neck trying to turn and see a JT that went by and she said: there is only one vehicle on the road other than a V-twin sport bike that you would actually risk our lives to look at.

Well....she had a point. So that weekend I went and got a JT. LOL!

Didn't help my brother already had a JT as well.

But she was right, I like tacomas, I have owned them, but it was the JT that I would yell when I saw one, or make a comment about every time I saw one.

Its all good...because, even though I own a JT I still act like a child when I see one.:blush::CWL:

My only negative is that what I paid for my Sport S, I could now buy a Rubi with prices they are now. But other than that...no regrets at all other the this Sha-Rona crap keeping me from doing what I want.

Good luck in your search.
I like the idea of getting a JT since it would be unique. Not many people will buy them. My 2011 tacoma has long travel front and rear with fiberglass bedsides/ fenders. It too looks unique when compared to all the other tacomas on the road. If it weren't for the JT, I would be keeping my tacoma. I think the JT will be a pretty cool rig in its own way.
Sponsored