Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
At least with the Gladiator, your steering wheel will be centered. Tacoma steering wheels are known to be off-centered. At least the second generation ones were. I have never driven a third gen.
So true. Months ago I replaced my steering rack bushings with polyurethane ones on my 2nd gen. It took me 2 days to get the damn steering wheel centered on the splines on the rack. I finally ended up making a small adjustment from in the cab (Remove/ install the wheel). Each spline is like 10 degs, so its a major pain to move it just one spline.
Sponsored

OP
OP

YoGroobs

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLC & Ford Explorer
Although I can’t buy for the next couple of months (I work for a car company and have a lease through them that ends in q4, don’t want 2 car payments), I’ve narrowed my search.

I think I’m writing off the Tacoma. It doesn’t give me the excitement a JT does. I’m going to search far and wide for a Rubi, but if not, I’ll buy a Sport S max tow.

I’ll also test out a ZR2 in the mean time but I think my hearts set on the Jeep.

thanks for everyone’s input! This is an awesome community, another reason why Jeep > Toyota!

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I was set on a JT, but recently ended up in a Duramax ZR2.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I had a rental tacoma for a few weeks before insurance sorted me out after my ram got totalled. The only thing tacoma has going for it is resale value. As a daily family vehicle it is absolutely awful, the cab comfort is worst in class, smash your knee/shin on the dash every time you get in, while ducking your head to almost sprain your neck levels at the same time or you're gonna brain yourself everytime also. Then sitting flat on the floor just suits the sad entry situation. And lastly, they royally screwed up with that new v6 tuned for peaky top end power, no grunt. Toyota only makes it reliable, every other single part of it sucks huge.

The zr2 colorado was miles better imo, and it was in my top 2 for the mid-size segment with the Gladiator. It wins for value and you're not getting more truck for the money, it's miles better in comfort and ride/handling and at the top of the group in that category. The v6 has lots of pop but it's not as nice a v6 as the pentastar and not as well set up with transmission either, seems to hunt in the higher gears. My ram pentastar 8 speed kicked it's arse in that regard for power train bliss, the pentastar 8 spd is one of the nicest set up power trains i've ever had period. I drove the zr2 diesel, loved that, the 6 speed was much better and even though not as fast, i liked it so much better. Could still save 10k (canadian) over a gladiator with a diesel zr2.

The sad part and what made me step up to the gladiator above most things...is that i could get the 6 speed manual. Easy win, great motor, best in class cabin, it's at the largest end of the segment for mid-size. I have two boys 11/12 and they are much happier than with the other trucks we drove. So am I.

You won't have issues with the power train imo, get a more basic model and less gizmos to give you issues also. Sport S 6-speed with cold weather group, tow package, and hardtop is all i wanted.

So happy with this truck.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I own both. I've got a 2017 Tacoma as well as the gladiator. I put 50k miles on the Tacoma and my son is currently driving it. I've only got 6k miles on my Jeep. I've not had a single problem with either, though the Jeep is only months old. I'm not one of the folks that hates the driving position in the Tacoma, but the back seat is almost useless from a passenger standpoint. The Toyota drivetrain is much maligned and for good reason. The engine just isn't tuned for truck duty, but the "Shifty" transmission is what most hate. I was able to install a transmission programmer that seemed to alleviate most of my concerns. I really like the Tacoma a lot. But, it's just no Jeep. Top off, doors off, off-road prowess all make the Jeep really great. Jeep also has done a wonderful job with the powertrain. The 8 speed works really well with the Pentastar. All that said, nothing makes me more frustrated than unreliable vehicles, and worse yet, the ineptitude of dealers and their service departments. If the Jeep turns out to be problematic, it will ruin the experience for me. So with fingers crossed, I hope my Jeep is reliable because I absolutely love it.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Tacoma is a great truck but a Jeep is a Jeep and nothing else compares.
I have to agree with that statement. I have had 36 Jeeps since 1972. After buying them all stock, I built them up for mild to moderate and a few for difficult off-roading. I keep them for a few years and then sell. At one time I had 10 Jeeps licensed and insured at one time. If you don't buy a Rubicon then at least get the Max Tow package with the 4.10 gears. At least with 4.10 gears you can stand to keep the stock gears with 35" tires.

As for Jeep reliability, I had a 92 XJ that I sold at 235K miles that had no issues and the last time I saw it the ODO was 385K and the owner still was in love with it. My buddy had a 2001 TJ that has over 475K miles on it that he's had from new and it's been pretty much trouble free. Now I don't know anyone that has those kind of miles on a JT or a JL for all that matters as they are so new but my 2007 JK approached 200K miles when I sold it and other than general maintenance, it was a great Jeep (other than the wimpy 3.8 motor which no one liked).

So get the JT and enjoy the hell out of it.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I was set on a JT, but recently ended up in a Duramax ZR2.
If this was available with a manual transmission the choice would have been so much harder. I had it all built out, the in bed tranfer tank for ridiculous range, all the delete stuff, stage 2 tune, 265 70r17's. Could have done it all for a similar optioned JT stock.

Pretty awesome little trucks. The diesel was a huge draw. The manual transmission was bigger draw for me. It has cost me a lot of money but i'm rolling on 37's and am totally in love with my ride. 6000 miles and obsessed with it. I would be almost as close to as happy with a zr2 diesel manual.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I was pretty set on the Gladiator when it came out but waited until the price came down. I decided to drive everything anyway just to be sure about my decision. I was impressed by the Colorado ZR2 more than anything else but at the end of the day it was not a convertible. The Tacoma was like any Toyota I have ever driven, good reliable transportation that lacks a soul. I liked the Honda Ridgeline a lot but I can't see taking that thing off road and it sure is ugly. The Ranger and the Frontier just left me asking why anyone would buy one.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the deal. I've owned a Toyota, 2 Broncos, 2 Rams (one had 9" of lift), and now the JT. I've had some sort of problem with every vehicle that i've owned. If you drop in on forums of other rigs, they're all having some sort of problem with them. Because the truth is at the end of the day, they are all built by humans. No human is perfect. You're gonna get some with issues and some without. It doesn't matter what the name says on the front or the side.

With that being said, I purchased my JT Overland in June 2019. 2" (2.5")Mopar lift, 34" tires, aftermarket fenders and bumpers, no lockers, it's my daily driver, and I go off road about once or twice a month. I hit the trails, off road parks, mud, pretty much anything that I see.

I got the Overland because that's what they had on the lot at the time and my Ram was starting to have a few issues and it needed to go. But, I' not disappointed. I decided not to pay the extra for a Rubicon. Would have been a waste of money for me because I would've replaced everything the Rubicon comes extra with. Hindsight, If I had to buy another one, I'd probably get a sport. But, no regrets.

For me, I am able to still pull my boat, my trailer, haul stuff, load and carry stuff and still be able to remove the top and doors and enjoy the Jeep life! And carry 5 people or the dogs while I do it.

You need to think about what all you want to do, how and what type of fun you want to have. If you want to do light off roading or heavy off roading. If you're going to do light offroading, then maybe a Rubicon. If you're going to do heavy, maybe a sport and then upgrade. But honestly, If you've owned any off road vehicle before (which you have), you know how to drive off road. You would be fine with a 2.5" lift kit, a set of 35"s, upgrading the axles down the road, loading up the family, and going out and have some fun. If you're worried about having issues, they're built by humans!!!

I come from a family of racers and wrench turners. One of my tuner buddies used to say, "If it has wheels and an engine, you'll have problems!"

93851434_2939274499520128_5221509131793334272_o.jpg

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I'm opposed to buying new, and greatly appreciate folks like yourself who do so the market for used is so good. A well maintained used car can be just as good as a brand new car. My old 2003 Honda Civic lasted until almost 300k miles, at which point I sold it for the same amount I bought it for and the guy still drives it AFAIK. Now I drive a newer (but still used) Honda Fit and love the shit out of it. SUPER RELIABLE. Used cars are not unreliable unless they were treated like shit by their previous owner. If you buy 3rd party, take it to a shop during the test drive if you need assurance that it's OK and you aren't comfortable inspecting the car on your own. Most shops will do this for very cheap. At the very least have a mechanically inclined friend tag along and buy them a beer for their troubles.
I've been like you since I bought my last new vehicle in 1994. Even though I got a great deal on it and put 25% down on it, I was upside down when it came to trading it on a newer model of the same vehicle a year later. Since then I've waited 2 to 3 years an find that I have been able to get a low mileage Jeep for about half the original sticker. I bought a 2016 Rubicon with 20K miles when the JLs came out. The dealers were flooded with JK trades and I got it for $4000 under KBB wholesale as it was on the dealer lot for over 75 days.

Unfortunately, I can't do that with the JT, it hasn't been out that long and to be honest, when I looked at a few used ones, they were priced just about what a new one was. So, it had to be new.

You want a quality designed 2.5" lift, check out the Icon stage 5. Its not cheap but it's well engineered: https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...adiator-25-stage-5-suspension-system-tubular/
Sponsored