Sponsored

Replacement for rear two hooks?

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Has anyone come across a replacement for the left and right tow hooks? A closed solution?

I know we can get the hitch receiver tow point.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sigh, maybe someone else can use that info. Good luck replacing your hooks
If they comprehend the title and read the op, doubtful. But maybe someone else will appreciate the useful misplaced info. So helpful, thank you.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Looked up how they attach to get some ideas. Hope this adds something to this discussion. Not seeing anything on the inter webs. Seems like just closing the stock hook or a closed replacement would have your D rings in a weird orientation and apt to clank back and forth and just not look right ??
C2635901-DDFD-4A76-9FF0-25F77880EEBD.jpeg

Seems like you’d need to turn the “O” section 90 degrees if you want to keep the factory style mounting points. Or if you can get/fab a bracket or mounting plate in there maybe you can attach something like one of these? Anyone else got any ideas/solutions? Good luck
C102082C-2E8F-4D6D-9EDA-ED45955AB25A.png

lobelsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Gator
Just remove the hooks and use the hitch mounted D-ring shackle.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone come across a replacement for the left and right tow hooks? A closed solution?

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looked up how they attach to get some ideas. Hope this adds something to this discussion. Not seeing anything on the inter webs. Seems like just closing the stock hook or a closed replacement would have your D rings in a weird orientation and apt to clank back and forth and just not look right ??
C2635901-DDFD-4A76-9FF0-25F77880EEBD.jpeg

Seems like you’d need to turn the “O” section 90 degrees if you want to keep the factory style mounting points. Or if you can get/fab a bracket or mounting plate in there maybe you can attach something like one of these? Anyone else got any ideas/solutions? Good luck
C102082C-2E8F-4D6D-9EDA-ED45955AB25A.png
Working with a fabrication place and plan to see them this week. Will see. I know they can make something. But before I go too far, who knows, I may end up with a different bumper anyway :) That would also solve it also. I prefer a closed solution.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Working with a fabrication place and plan to see them this week. Will see. I know they can make something. But before I go too far, who knows, I may end up with a different bumper anyway :) That would also solve it also. I prefer a closed solution.
Post pics. Sounds interesting. I like the factory rear bumper. D rings would be a cool addition.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My Sport S with max tow has a rear hook only on the left side, attached to the flange of the hitch. From the above photo, you can see that there is an angled boss to help locate the hook while installing the bolts. I wanted to flip the hook and add one to the right side. If I need them, I will run a strap between them to distribute the load better when pulling the Jeep. That way, the closed sides are inwards so the strap is less likely to slip. I ground off the boss so the hook could be installed inverted and got new grade 10.9 flange head bolts, M14 x 2.0 x 35 from McMaster-Carr. (Stock bolts are grade 9.8). For the right side, I could not find a black hook even with the forged in part number on the hook, but the red version is easily found on-line (68334733AA),

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
While we’re on the subject of rear tow hooks does anyone else besides me think they are oriented on the wrong side?
By that I mean that the open side should be outboard?

sorry for the thread drift...

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
While we’re on the subject of rear tow hooks does anyone else besides me think they are oriented on the wrong side?
By that I mean that the open side should be outboard?

sorry for the thread drift...
I can see times you would want it both ways, and you never want it to come off regardless, which is why I think a closed solution is the only solution. That is why I appreciate this thread and am watching it for a good solution. I am not an engineer, but wonder about how the OEM hooks will stand up to side loads? I recognize this is an issue with closed solutions too. I could see it snapping at the bolt under a side load.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Yes, I also feel the open side should be to the outside, and that is why I described turning the hook the other way in my post above. I don't think two M14 grade 8 (the metric equivalent, M10.9) bolts are likely to shear. M14 is close to 9/16" diameter. They also give great clamping force since they can be torqued to something like 120 ft-lb (with lube) if you could get on them with a torque wrench. I used an 18 mm wrench and a long cheater pipe. They quickly get to the point where the wrench is "springy" since there is very little stretch with such a short bolt having long thread engagement. The OEM grade 9.8 bolts have a 21mm head (the slightly smaller 13/16" socket fits well).

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having had to tow it sideways to get back on the trail, sometimes you may want to pull from a far end across the truck and other times from the closest end. A closed solution on each side simply gives more options. In my example, I had to use the closest hook to the trail then the furthest hook from the trail. IMO I should be closed so you never have to worry.
Sponsored