Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not entirely accurate, the Dodge Rams have the exact same engine and they produce more HP than ours. 305 to be exact vs our 285
But - perhaps Bonanza is correct when he says "reliably make" because the RAM is not held hostage to design criteria for cooling.
Ram has more cooling, more room, and perhaps other componenants that can handle the extra HP.
Bonanza qualified his response when he said "can reliably make".
With our cooling system size and capacity restrictions, he may be correct.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have assisted two users of my tune, in finding a ripp coil pack that was supplying less than ideal spark. I could see it in the data, and it messed with the acceleration and shifting. These had not failed yet, they where just throwing the fuel mixture way off.

My experience so far, is the pentastar is very capable of low rpm torque, just needs a little assistance 😁

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have assisted two users of my tune, in finding a ripp coil pack that was supplying less than ideal spark. I could see it in the data, and it messed with the acceleration and shifting. These had not failed yet, they where just throwing the fuel mixture way off.

My experience so far, is the pentastar is very capable of low rpm torque, just needs a little assistance 😁
Amplitude or duration? I'm used to reading scopes in diagnosing spark issues.
Normally coil voltage build up stops once the spark bridges the gap and the stored energy is duration of spark.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It showed up in data as big torque reduction, and fuel trim per cylinder, based on misfire detection.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It showed up in data as big torque reduction, and fuel trim per cylinder, based on misfire detection.
Yeah, I can see it would if it was causing misfires. That's a pretty sad coil doing that.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have now witnessed three users of these coil packs with issues. Long ignotion timing reductions but not enough to set off the misfire detection. Basically just does the opposite of what ot was purchased for

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. I have a C6 procharged, meth injected Vette, fully forged internals, iron block LS producing 900whp and running stock GM coils with no issues.
And why not? Anyone who has studied ignition systems in detail, and understand how coils work would know that voltage stops building once the gap has been "jumped" and all remaining energy is used in duration. Unless the engine has a physical problem or issue or conditions are way out of the ordinary, modern coils can, IMO, handle it.
Sponsored