Sponsored

HELP! Do you need to take intake plenum off to swap coil packs?

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
The dealership said if it's bolted to the engine it's only part of the 3/36000 mile warranty, but if it were a rocker arm, then maybe it should be powertrain 5/60000 I believe.
So the dealer could essentially milk you for every dollar troubleshooting a misfire using their guides. Starting off with a software update, then sparkplug and coils each time charging you the diagnostic fee. And just maybe, it's a camshaft or related part. I can see why you are trying to eliminate some possibilities. I would have thought something like that would be covered.
Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
I wonder if it could be covered under the emissions warranty? If you live in a testing area and it fails an emissions test, it looks like it could be covered.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I wonder if it could be covered under the emissions warranty? If you live in a testing area and it fails an emissions test, it looks like it could be covered.
We don't have to test for that here, and I thought the emissions warranty was only like 2 year 24000 mile.

I'm just thrilled I bought a lifetime extended Mopar warranty on our Pacifica hybrid. Have to replace the Infotainment unit, that's half of the cost of the warranty I paid.

Considering adding onto my warranty on the truck too. $3500 for an extended basic warranty and powertrain for 8 years or 80,000 from the in-service date as long as my truck is under 48months and 48,000 since it's in service date. I'm at like 40 months and 27,000 miles.

I've NOW read a bunch of thresds about 2020 JT having misfires ranging from cams to valve train to possible VVT issues, or injector problems.

Maybe buying the first year of a new model is a bad idea has some merit to it. 🤔

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
Normally, the intake camshaft and rockers make a noise that is usually described as ticking when a lobe and rocker are worn. If it is causing a misfire, it will also affect the cranking compression, but you need results from several cylinders to compare. I had a 3.6 yesterday that misfired that had about 15 psi higher compression on the misfiring cylinder than on other cylinders. I found this by comparing all six cylinders, but that does require removing the plenum.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
We don't have to test for that here, and I thought the emissions warranty was only like 2 year 24000 mile.

I'm just thrilled I bought a lifetime extended Mopar warranty on our Pacifica hybrid. Have to replace the Infotainment unit, that's half of the cost of the warranty I paid.

Considering adding onto my warranty on the truck too. $3500 for an extended basic warranty and powertrain for 8 years or 80,000 from the in-service date as long as my truck is under 48months and 48,000 since it's in service date. I'm at like 40 months and 27,000 miles.

I've NOW read a bunch of thresds about 2020 JT having misfires ranging from cams to valve train to possible VVT issues, or injector problems.

Maybe buying the first year of a new model is a bad idea has some merit to it. 🤔
I want to say that I hope it works out for you and it is a camshaft issue. Then again if it happens to be just a software update, you won't be down too long.

Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
The 8 year 80k emissions warranty is what I was referring to. If you fail an emissions test the related parts that caused the failure should be covered. You would have to fail a test. A check engine light is a reason to fail an emissions test. I think you would need a dealer willing to work with you. I have read one thread where a dealer replaced all of the sparkplugs for free out if warranty. When it didn't fix the misfire the owner brought it back in for the camshafts.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That first year rule should not really have merit as the same engine had already been running two model years in the JL.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. Swapping coil packs and new spark plug is as far as I want to troubleshoot the issue.

It's scheduled for Tuesday morning,ill suggest the VVL test and mention some of the issues I've heard/read about online and let them figure it out.
I'll definitely report back when I get some resolution. I'll also post my results on that 100 page thread about misfires.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've also learned, working on the JT is hard at 5'7". My abs got a real workout yesterday, and I scratched up my passenger fender a bunch cuz of my belt buckle. Took it off midway through fixing. I need some kinda platform. The 5 Gallon bucket I was standing on wasn't very sturdy.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
Don't worry about the time to swap out the right intake camshaft if that is the remedy. It doesn't take that long, maybe three hours. Hopefully the parts will be in stock, or maybe the dealership can pick up any other

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't worry about the time to swap out the right intake camshaft if that is the remedy. It doesn't take that long, maybe three hours. Hopefully the parts will be in stock, or maybe the dealership can pick up any other
I'm not worried about time, now that I know it probably is a powertrain warranty issue.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
I've also learned, working on the JT is hard at 5'7". My abs got a real workout yesterday, and I scratched up my passenger fender a bunch cuz of my belt buckle. Took it off midway through fixing. I need some kinda platform. The 5 Gallon bucket I was standing on wasn't very sturdy.
I'm not even as tall as you, so I have to do a work around. I remove the front wheels and put a 2"x4" wood block under the castle nuts and set the Jeep on the floor. It makes working on them much easier. I also remove the battery box and TIPM to make room for pulling the right side valve cover. Just a matter of finding ways to get at it. I too have tried standing on buckets and other supports, but it seems like they always slide around, making it difficult to work.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Before replacing the coil...maybe move the coil and see if the problem moves with it?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before replacing the coil...maybe move the coil and see if the problem moves with it?
Tried that, problem didn't move. New plug, problem persisted. Thanks.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Tried that, problem didn't move. New plug, problem persisted. Thanks.
Swap fuel injector?

I chased a very intermittent misfire on my 2020 JT and swapped coils, plugs and fuel injector position to no avail. Never went any farther and traded it.
Sponsored