Sponsored

2kXJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ
I don’t know where you’re located, but have you done any testing with it towing? I was dead set on getting the eco, but there are all kinds of people having reduced power/limp mode issues with them, it’s ridiculous. The gasser with a sc would be acceptable, if it doesn’t have the cooling issues of the eco.

OP
OP
TheGinger

TheGinger

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
Wrench Monkey
I don’t know where you’re located, but have you done any testing with it towing? I was dead set on getting the eco, but there are all kinds of people having reduced power/limp mode issues with them, it’s ridiculous. The gasser with a sc would be acceptable, if it doesn’t have the cooling issues of the eco.
I am located up in Vancouver, BC Canada. But unfortunately I have no experience with towing with any of the motors yet, as its just not something I have ever needed to do.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Cool, thanks anyway.
I tow with my Mojave. I pull a tandem axle enclosed 12’ v nose trailer with tools. Total weight is about 4000-4500lbs. Not sure of the tongue weight but my best educated guess is around 400lbs. I’ve got a good amount of squat but will be resolving that next week with maxtow springs and airbags.
as is, other than the squat I love the way it tows. Never seems to work too hard the 8spd automatic is a dream. If I run into an against the wind or uphill I just switch it to manual to prevent extended times of high rev. I’m very happy coming from a ram 2500 hemi 5.7l that high rpm’d and drank gas 7mpg. I average in my JTM 18.7 currently in town, highway and towing combined.

Sponsored

2kXJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ
I tow with my Mojave. I pull a tandem axle enclosed 12’ v nose trailer with tools. Total weight is about 4000-4500lbs. Not sure of the tongue weight but my best educated guess is around 400lbs. I’ve got a good amount of squat but will be resolving that next week with maxtow springs and airbags.
as is, other than the squat I love the way it tows. Never seems to work too hard the 8spd automatic is a dream. If I run into an against the wind or uphill I just switch it to manual to prevent extended times of high rev. I’m very happy coming from a ram 2500 hemi 5.7l that high rpm’d and drank gas 7mpg. I average in my JTM 18.7 currently in town, highway and towing combined.
Thanks for chiming in! Are you stock or do you have a supercharger?

I’m amazed at how many of the diesel guys are having big issues with towing. It really brings my enthusiasm for wanting one WAY down. The engines just don’t seem to be able to shed heat.

I’m hoping that either the issues are solved by next year when I order, or that I can find enough feedback that shows a supercharged gasser won’t have the same issues.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for chiming in! Are you stock or do you have a supercharger?

I’m amazed at how many of the diesel guys are having big issues with towing. It really brings my enthusiasm for wanting one WAY down. The engines just don’t seem to be able to shed heat.

I’m hoping that either the issues are solved by next year when I order, or that I can find enough feedback that shows a supercharged gasser won’t have the same issues.
Stock.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Finally had a chance to watch the video, AWESOME ha! Great job with it, Gladiator looks and sounds fantastic.

Great job on the video, I'll definitely be checking more of yours out, very entertaining.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I tow these plus one more SxS, and my Mustang and Corvair, no issues

Jeep Gladiator Ripp Supercharged Gladiator Mojave – Install & Drive 0717201918_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Ripp Supercharged Gladiator Mojave – Install & Drive 0807210937

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t describe in word just how insanely fun this truck is now to drive, after a couple tune adjustments and soon to be a suspension overhaul this Jeep has now become my favourite one to drive I have owned.
Its too bad none of the supercharger kits actually come with a tune that works.

A month or so ago I posted a thread to this forum asking to hear from anyone who had a truly "bolt-on" experience.

I didn't get a single reply.

I'm not new to all this. I've had a VW and a Subaru STi with custom tunes. Its just that in this case, I just want it to work. But have more power.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have helped upwards of 60 different jeeps with forced induction, from 18-21 production years. Out of all those I have seen at least 15 unique operating systems. Not little stuff either. I have seen alternate fuel enrichment schedules, airflow model differences, and big changes in cam timing and torque models. There does not seem to be a date or naming convention correlation from the files I have. My guess is there are probably many more. I imagine that is the problem with an install and done solution. If you happen to have a new variant, it may not have the right tables in HP or the changes needed are not like the last 16 other variants. My cam timing tables will not work on all the 21s I have tuned so far. Any attempt to change the cam timing, causes idle and ignition instabilities. So either the definitions are off or the differences in the airflow and fueling are significant enough it will require another couple days on the dyno. My goal was bolt and go on my sc purchase, but after putting up with the calibration I that came with it, I threw my hat in the circle.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say 15 different operating systems, are you talking about in the OEM tune?

I ask because if its in the custom tuning provided by the supercharger manufacturer, then it shouldn't matter. They build a tune that works and include it with the hardware and you go from there.

Its interesting. In the VW/Audi world, companies like APR can make one off the shelf tune and it simply works. Every time. Of course you are leaving some margin on the table when you do this, but it still works. And makes big power gains.

In the Subaru world that was often much less successful, with custom tuning typically needed. (I don't know if that's still the case).

I once helped a friend put an APR big turbo kit on his A4. We bolted it together, he had already had the ECU flashed and it started within 3 seconds. It ran and drove beautifully and was very fast for the day. Right out of the box. The next week he drove it down to Waterfest at the Englishtown drag ways in NJ and was running it.

Either way, thank you for your insight.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the factory "tunes" that are different. The aftermarket tunes all start, run and idle, and for the most part, they also drive right from the start. What happens is unexpected fuel enrichment, this leads to altered shift points. They also have a throttle model, that is completely different from what an operator inputs to the pedal. If torque and fueling are off the throttle will do off the wall behaviors like osccilate while accelerating, or slowing down, or power surge cruising on the highway. This is what is most typically seen. The aftermarket is treating this like an LSX, or subaru, or audi and just trying to add more fuel where there is more air, the problem is, there is no straight forward table or way to do this. You HAVE to take into account the interactions between the airflow, throttle, and torque models. If you don't, it will remap over the altered one and then proceed to do some weird cht.

2kXJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ
I tow these plus one more SxS, and my Mustang and Corvair, no issues

thanks for sharing your experience and the follow up info!

i didn’t even know there were issues with the tuning, I assumed they were all good to go. That sucks!
Sponsored