Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know where you’re located, but have you done any testing with it towing? I was dead set on getting the eco, but there are all kinds of people having reduced power/limp mode issues with them, it’s ridiculous. The gasser with a sc would be acceptable, if it doesn’t have the cooling issues of the eco.
More power means more heat.

In this case we aren't talking about maximum power. But power over time. When not towing, you can only ask for so much power for so long before you are going too fast.

So even if you bump maximum hp you often don't have cooling problems.

But when towing, if you are towing up a long incline then a supercharged motor is putting out more power than it would otherwise be capable of putting out. It will need to get rid of that heat.

If you tow mostly on the flat, but want the extra power to accelerate from a stop or to maintain speed on short hills, then it won't make a difference because you aren't asking the motor to make power for very long and the cooling system can absorb the extra heat and then shed it when you. back off the throttle.
Sponsored

2kXJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ
More power means more heat.

In this case we aren't talking about maximum power. But power over time. When not towing, you can only ask for so much power for so long before you are going too fast.

So even if you bump maximum hp you often don't have cooling problems.

But when towing, if you are towing up a long incline then a supercharged motor is putting out more power than it would otherwise be capable of putting out. It will need to get rid of that heat.

If you tow mostly on the flat, but want the extra power to accelerate from a stop or to maintain speed on short hills, then it won't make a difference because you aren't asking the motor to make power for very long and the cooling system can absorb the extra heat and then shed it when you. back off the throttle.
Yep, that’s exactly why I’d like to hear from anyone who has towed with a SC up long grades in the heat.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the gas Gladiator come with an oil cooler?

If not, adding one would be a good first step.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Now that thing is forsure gonna be a badass desert eating monster now:rock:

Also I've heard the ripp coilpacks have gone bad,I've seen the forums a bit and also from what I've seen from Ben at Jk Gear&Gadgets

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I might just be too old for this video. I liked the details you provided, but hated the intro and jarring music in between the detailed information. Not sure if YouTube gives you the level of detail needed, but have you seen others skipping through your videos? Just curious, again, I'm old and blaming myself for the 'get off my lawn' reaction.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
When you say 15 different operating systems, are you talking about in the OEM tune?

I ask because if its in the custom tuning provided by the supercharger manufacturer, then it shouldn't matter. They build a tune that works and include it with the hardware and you go from there.

Its interesting. In the VW/Audi world, companies like APR can make one off the shelf tune and it simply works. Every time. Of course you are leaving some margin on the table when you do this, but it still works. And makes big power gains.

In the Subaru world that was often much less successful, with custom tuning typically needed. (I don't know if that's still the case).

I once helped a friend put an APR big turbo kit on his A4. We bolted it together, he had already had the ECU flashed and it started within 3 seconds. It ran and drove beautifully and was very fast for the day. Right out of the box. The next week he drove it down to Waterfest at the Englishtown drag ways in NJ and was running it.

Either way, thank you for your insight.
i used to write some files for vw/audi back in the day.

my advice would be not to come into tuning discussions on this platform with the assumption much of anything you know from previous platforms carries over. A lot. And i mean a lot. Has changed in these ecu’s. About the only thing that carries over from your experience is going to be cracked piston ringlands Due to shallow crown height and detonation events.

so yes, in many many ways: you actually are new to this. Id recommend listening to Dave.

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Yep, that’s exactly why I’d like to hear from anyone who has towed with a SC up long grades in the heat.
its been done, extensively. Ive seen testing where back to back pulls up tremendously long grades in summer heat over 100deg will eventually put a supercharged gladiator into thermal protection.

provided the tuning used doesnt eliminate or dumb down thermal management, its works fine.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Does the gas Gladiator come with an oil cooler?

If not, adding one would be a good first step.
tow kits do. The problem isnt oil temps as much as it is (presumably) hot spots on the head and repeated pulls driving Up IAT’s.

im not sure how much of a problem hot spots on the head are on this application at sub 15psi. But in any event, no one reputable is working on a lower temp t stat.

my solution was a larger aluminum radiator behind the HX.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Honestly no idea currently what the total would be.
Did we get a total yet? Can’t legitimately consider any mod without cost. Hemi swap costs are well documented so we have a point of reference.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tow kits do. The problem isnt oil temps as much as it is (presumably) hot spots on the head and repeated pulls driving Up IAT’s.

im not sure how much of a problem hot spots on the head are on this application at sub 15psi. But in any event, no one reputable is working on a lower temp t stat.

my solution was a larger aluminum radiator behind the HX.
Localized boiling is one of the amazing properties of water that makes it such a good coolant. But oil coolers can still help by lowering the overall coolant temp.

I've been saying on the diesel threads that the only REAL solution is a larger radiator.

Did the radiator that you added also fit the diesel? If so, I'm sure lots of people would like to know more about it.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Localized boiling is one of the amazing properties of water that makes it such a good coolant. But oil coolers can still help by lowering the overall coolant temp.

I've been saying on the diesel threads that the only REAL solution is a larger radiator.

Did the radiator that you added also fit the diesel? If so, I'm sure lots of people would like to know more about it.
that would depend on a number of factors and may or may not be applicable here. I cant say without testing. there are a lot of motors that dont run oil in places that would specifically pull heat out of a head or block, and i dont know if this version of pentastar is one of them Or not. But, heavy duty tow packages have an oil cooler anyway i think, which would make it largely moot.

unsure on the diesel Fitment. wasnt something i looked into. Id like to think it would, since it fit with my supercharger’s HX, which is not small. That said, im not clear on if fan/shroud/fitment/etc is different on the diesel.

HX through the grill, other is the rad, obviously.

Jeep Gladiator Ripp Supercharged Gladiator Mojave – Install & Drive 1EB885F6-B6D7-4C51-8894-863E47C1E1FA
Jeep Gladiator Ripp Supercharged Gladiator Mojave – Install & Drive 2080A9B0-BD87-4219-8B70-42B8A15DE8AD

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
I got a RIpp in my 2020 JTR and its a lot of fun… However just bought my wife a 392 (an upgrade from her Rubicon JL) . I am trading in my gladiator for a 392 as well now and take delivery on Monday. Got a awesome deal… here are my final thoughts on the JTR with RIpp

-Awesome Power
-Def u need the catch-can
-Was decent at high altitude
-Once tune is dialed in u are good to go , but I did have issues initially with it running rich
-Maintenance is easy but folks do need to stay on top of changing engine oil and charger oil
-Sounds awesome when u are on it
-It started devloping a bad squeak on cold starts in cold weather . This would eventually go away when driving but could not get rid of it for the life of me .Noise is kinda of embarrassing when u power up this awesome vehicle and then folks start starring at u because it sounds like u got a million crickets under the hood . Lots of complaints around this and without any real solution.
-Keeping outside in cold weather is not good for power ups and living in Colorado and having a cabin at high altitudes this has started becoming a huge issue for me . Get an engine blanket or get the Ripp heating element installed if u are in a cold weather area .

Those last two items became a big deal for me and after feeling the power of the 392 plus the sound there is no comparison…. If they ever make a 392 Gladiator then maybe I will come back . Lots of people complain about the price and gas mileage on the 392s but tbh my JTR with the RIpp was about the same price point …. and well mileage is like the same too … I am still a big advocate of the Gladiator and the RIPP. (just do expect that chirping sound to eventually get u )
Sponsored