RLD designs pic request

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Here are some images of the strut mounts inside the RLD shell. I have mounted KC lights and the BuiltRight shovel mounts. I wanted to put the MaxTrax up there but upside down is a pain in the butt so I have bailed on that idea for now.

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg
Thanks!
Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some images of the strut mounts inside the RLD shell. I have mounted KC lights and the BuiltRight shovel mounts. I wanted to put the MaxTrax up there but upside down is a pain in the butt so I have bailed on that idea for now.

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg
Thanks, great idea. I’m trying to keep as much inside as I can.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
A bit of an update while I sit on the side of a mountain waiting for first light and hoping for a glimpse of 4 legged critters wandering around the snowy hillside. First trip with the RLD. This is a 10 day elk hunt with my son and “camping” in the Best Western style. But still carrying the back packing capable gear which we hope not to use. I mounted more strut to the top of the canopy to tie on a second spare tire as I had a bit too much crap inside and with the potential to add 2 cow elk to my load I needed the space. We are loaded pretty heavy with solo capable recovery gear and 4 heavy duty semi truck chains which we are using very significantly so far after just one day. Some observations on the RLD.

1. Strong. This thing is solid. Mounting the tire and getting on top I can tell this is far stronger than any of my previous fiberglass toppers I have had in the last 30 years.

2. Locks. As is typical of all shells I have had the locks froze up badly after washing off mud. I had to use a lighter to get them un frozen. Definitely a pain in the butt but again no different than any shell I have had. The locks work well overall.

3. Doors. Love them. Side access is awesome and a feature I have never had before. I do not mind the visibility loss with the solid side doors.

4. Gas mileage. Yikes. Dropped to about 16 mpg on this trip. I was running 17.5 ish over I70 with a similar weight load but no topper and tire on top. Of course my reading yesterday was around 10 after being in 4 low for most of the day.

5. Love the strut inside and the ability to mount stuff so easily. I will be doing more of that type of thing with light weight items.

6. I think it is ugly. My wife thinks it’s ok. I do not care so much how it looks. It works as intended.

7. Service from Adventure-Ready. My topper was the wrong color and had a forklift dent. A-R gave me the choice of returning or a $500 discount. I took the cash and am happy with the decision.

8. Overall I really like the canopy. I would buy it again.

DD18C90B-76E0-4445-9E8B-95A64BC02070.jpeg

AF9A86A3-2E64-4C54-A4DF-82FADE7EEC5A.jpeg

047BEC10-BBA2-489E-B407-283DB8BEDF3B.jpeg

Seanrobsar

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiador
Vehicle Showcase
A bit of an update while I sit on the side of a mountain waiting for first light and hoping for a glimpse of 4 legged critters wandering around the snowy hillside. First trip with the RLD. This is a 10 day elk hunt with my son and “camping” in the Best Western style. But still carrying the back packing capable gear which we hope not to use. I mounted more strut to the top of the canopy to tie on a second spare tire as I had a bit too much crap inside and with the potential to add 2 cow elk to my load I needed the space. We are loaded pretty heavy with solo capable recovery gear and 4 heavy duty semi truck chains which we are using very significantly so far after just one day. Some observations on the RLD.

1. Strong. This thing is solid. Mounting the tire and getting on top I can tell this is far stronger than any of my previous fiberglass toppers I have had in the last 30 years.

2. Locks. As is typical of all shells I have had the locks froze up badly after washing off mud. I had to use a lighter to get them un frozen. Definitely a pain in the butt but again no different than any shell I have had. The locks work well overall.

3. Doors. Love them. Side access is awesome and a feature I have never had before. I do not mind the visibility loss with the solid side doors.

4. Gas mileage. Yikes. Dropped to about 16 mpg on this trip. I was running 17.5 ish over I70 with a similar weight load but no topper and tire on top. Of course my reading yesterday was around 10 after being in 4 low for most of the day.

5. Love the strut inside and the ability to mount stuff so easily. I will be doing more of that type of thing with light weight items.

6. I think it is ugly. My wife thinks it’s ok. I do not care so much how it looks. It works as intended.

7. Service from Adventure-Ready. My topper was the wrong color and had a forklift dent. A-R gave me the choice of returning or a $500 discount. I took the cash and am happy with the decision.

8. Overall I really like the canopy. I would buy it again.

DD18C90B-76E0-4445-9E8B-95A64BC02070.jpeg

AF9A86A3-2E64-4C54-A4DF-82FADE7EEC5A.jpeg

047BEC10-BBA2-489E-B407-283DB8BEDF3B.jpeg
Thanks for your information.Your rig looks good. Ready to go. I too don't think its the best looking canopy. To me it's more utilitarian. Reminds me of the Humvee from my time in the service. I'm getting mine installed on Monday here in the Bay Area. I have a question. Do you think the side doors are strong enough to hold Rotopax's? I saw this picture, but it looked like it was changed with Photoshop. Keep in mind full Rotopax weigh aprox. 34 lbs.

E0BDE4C7-E4AB-48C5-9D2A-572A928F8F5F.jpg

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
Thanks for your information.Your rig looks good. Ready to go. I too don't think its the best looking canopy. To me it's more utilitarian. Reminds me of the Humvee from my time in the service. I'm getting mine installed on Monday here in the Bay Area. I have a question. Do you think the side doors are strong enough to hold Rotopax's? I saw this picture, but it looked like it was changed with Photoshop. Keep in mind full Rotopax weigh aprox. 34 lbs.

Yes I believe the solid side doors can carry rotopax. But they would be a pain to open. I plan to make a rack inside just beside the door to mount mine. Same with max trax.

Sponsored

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
Keep in mind full Rotopax weigh aprox. 34 lbs.

Hmmm. How many rotopax are you thinking of mounting on each side? Mine are 2 gallon models and full are about 15 lbs (fuel). 2 rotopax with water would be closer to 34 lbs.

Seanrobsar

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiador
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm. How many rotopax are you thinking of mounting on each side? Mine are 2 gallon models and full are about 15 lbs (fuel). 2 rotopax with water would be closer to 34 lbs.
2 Rotopax per side. 2 fuel and 2 water. Its a pipe dream any way. Bouncing up and down on the trail is probably too much for the locks and hinges. I will probably continue to use my trailer for long trips.

20180627_131021.jpg

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
2 Rotopax per side. 2 fuel and 2 water. Its a pipe dream any way. Bouncing up and down on the trail is probably too much for the locks and hinges. I will probably continue to use my trailer for long trips.

20180627_131021.jpg
Me too

E78445A5-5CE1-4881-8D94-919B2137AE6C.jpeg

Seanrobsar

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiador
Vehicle Showcase
OK where to start?....RLD Cap doesn't fit well with out modification. I love the function and about 75% of the look.

Bad news first.

As is, the Cap did not fit well from the factory. On the inside of the Cap at the front bottom portion, where the Cap meets the front of the bed, there was a lip that was suppose to rest against the inside of the bed. If we left the Cap in that position it would stick out from the rear of the truck slightly. Approx 1/2" over hang. Maybe a little less. This meant there would also be a gap at the corners where the tailgate and the Cap door meet. Enough of a gap to stick your fingers through. It also meant the gap between the Cap and the Cab would be larger. Chris at Rhino Adventure was great! He called and found out that he was supposed to bend the edges of that lip to fit better as the inside edge of the bed. The bed is not strait at the corners. After bending the corners with channel locks he decided to cut instead. I suggested it still would not fix the over hang and said we should just cut that portion off. Chris talked to his boss and he cut off the lip. With this portion off we were able to move the cap forward and everything lined up a lot better.

Mounting brackets were wrong, incomplete or incompatible. We were able to piece together 2 of the brackets from the factory hardware and channel screws had to be made for the other two. in addition because the brackets were different from the first two, Chris had to drill new mounting holes.

Gasket for the front of the cab was two small. Because the bed is not the same height all the way around, there is a gap between bottom front of the cap and the top front on the bed. On the sides of the bed and the tailgate there is a plastic cover. the bed in front is bare (only bed liner). The gasket on the cap door was also too large so when it met the tailgate, it would not close with out closing both doors together.

Good news:

I love the utility of the Cap. Being able to open the sides and the back were a game changer for me. No more sending my daughter into the bed to get stuff all the way in the back of the bed.
I like the look of the Cap even though the body lines don't match up. I like the two tone look of the rig. Wife wants me to get it colored matched. We will see.
Locks, hinges, doors and whole cap look tough and well made.

20191230_101026.jpg

20191230_090722.jpg

20191230_164608.jpg

20191230_164551~2.jpg

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Anyone have any info on the gen2 design that addresses our concerns? Any renderings out there?

Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by Tom at Adventure Ready that it would be a couple inches shorter and the sides would match the line of the rig better. I’m not sure what else they’re changing.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I was told by Tom at Adventure Ready that it would be a couple inches shorter and the sides would match the line of the rig better. I’m not sure what else they’re changing.
Did he give you a time frame? Sometime this year hopefully?

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Anyone have any info on the gen2 design that addresses our concerns? Any renderings out there?
Tom mentioned to me he may have pictures of the second generation this week. I have also been promised pictures of the Alu-cab this week. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
Lol I’m still waiting for my Gen1 ordered in September..... not a happy customer here. I’m actually considering asking for them to cancel my order if it’s delayed past January.

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Lol I’m still waiting for my Gen1 ordered in September..... not a happy customer here. I’m actually considering asking for them to cancel my order if it’s delayed past January.
I would get the gen 2 even if they did get the gen 1 in stock. Seems like that is your argument. Too long on 1, i'll take the 2.
Sponsored