First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
The order book for 2021 Rubicons offers this enticing option. Unfortunately, not for the diesel. Even though I have an appointment to order my diesel in less than an hour, I am intrigued by this new option. Anybody know anything about it?
Sponsored

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
+1 also interested in this specific item and the difference between it and the 2020 Rock Trac as I'm close to purchase and am wondering if I should order a 2021 instead.

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
I got a great response from @tampahoosier on another thread where I had asked the same question so I figured I'd share it here.

The Full time rock trac is the same in everywhere EXCEPT that you also have the option of a full time 4wd that is basically AWD. As the rubicon 4wd is set up now it is not suitable for everyday 4WD (for use on wet roads or rain for example). But this Full Time feature affords you that added option. What you're doing is getting the JL Saharas full time - AWD feature added onto the Rock Trac system (no idea if the overland has the Sahara system, never bothered to look).

I made a note of this new option in my earlier comment above. I have been snooping around on the JL forum where the 2021s have been out a few weeks and this discussion surround this new feature on the JL rubicons was going on. It appears that there are a few components required on the Full Time system (I think something like CV axles, but don't quote me on it) that create a weaker point in the system and are more prone to failure and/or do not have the longevity of what is currently there. I don't know anything about this - I'm merely passing on what's already being discussed on the other forum.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I got a great response from @tampahoosier on another thread where I had asked the same question so I figured I'd share it here.
It's being talked about quite a bit in the JL forums. There might be a difference between U-Joints (normal) and CV Joints (could be the change). No one knows for sure since details at slim but there are some knowledgable folks on that thread:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...unlimited-jlu-4-door-order-guide.52367/page-2
Sponsored